Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Introduction and advice
Introduction and advice
Hi All

After several, for want of a better term "incidents", I was given an overnight sleep test which diagnosed severe Sleep Apnea.
I thought I had been getting a good nights sleep but was advised it was not a "good" sleep.

To cut a long story short, I am running the equipment as detailed in the panel for 12 weeks, the first 6 without a humidifier.
Humidifier is on 5.5%, going to bed at 2200hrs, I wake at from 0200 to 0400 with a mouth feeling like the bottom of a garbage can.

Healthcare adviser says I am doing well, and see you again next year.

I propose downloading ResScan from this site so that I can analyse my own data.
If nothing improves in the next two weeks I was intending to do without the CPAP for a week, but was considering obtaining a sleep monitor so that I had some idea of what was happening overnight.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Phill
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Introduction and advice
Hi Phill,
First of all welcome - You have done the right thing.
Whatever happens don't give up. If you have Sleep Apnea you have to use the machine.
I don't have a lot of experience but I have to tell you that others on this forum will come forward with the correct advice as they have for me.
The only thing I will say is that most people on here use Sleepyhead software so if you want to use ResMed's version use both of them.
The other thing that is pretty obvious to me is that you need a different Sleep Doctor. I know things are not the same in the UK as they are in the US (I am from Manchester) but your current guy is not helping.
Others will advise on the cotton mouth.
Good Luck,
Don
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
Thomas A. Edison

Post Reply Post Reply
Download the software and get the clinical manual.
Find out the pressure settings (min, max.)
Get a look at your events: type, duration, clustered, leak rate, pressure when events occur...

Dry mouth is not uncommon.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Full face masks are not always a solution for dry mouth. I have been using one for over a year with humidifier and no matter how high I set the humidity I still wake up with a dry mouth if I have been mouth breathing.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Phill,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
If you’re not using a humidifier, you might consider it and see if that helps you with the dry mouth problem.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=1900]

Just getting the hang of the software, any thoughts as to this setup?

Any suggestions from this as to why I only get in the region of 4 hours sleep?
I am wondering if the max pressure is set too high and that is what is waking me.

Dont-know
Phill
Post Reply Post Reply
Phill,
Why use APAP without a humidifier? That could explain your dry mouth.

Your image doesn't tell us much to be able to help you.
We need to know your AHI and a breakdown: Hypopneas, clear airways, Obstructives. Also leak rate.

Also need to know your 90% and medium pressure numbers.
That gives us an idea what your pressure range should be set to.

If you can't get that info from the software you are using, then download sleepyhead software.
Then we can talk a look.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to ApneaBoard Phill!

Try going back to your regular doctor and mentioning the problems you are experiencing and ask for a referral to a different sleep clinic or sleep doc.

Keep us posted!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose, I am using the humidifier, I would say the dryness is slightly better but not as good as I would have expected, running at 5%.

Cate, not sure if you are aware of the medical care system over here, the NHS.
I have to see my neurologist in a couple of weeks (which I pay for) so not on the NHS, I will ask his opinion and may go for a private consultation for the Apnea.
I do not anticipate getting any further satisfaction from the NHS.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=1916][attachment=1917]

Can anyone see anything wrong with this setup?
I have reduced max pressure from 20 down to 15.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 37 1,521 Yesterday, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 97 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 54 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 13 511 03-12-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 722 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 182 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  [Admin Note] Policy clarification [off-site advice & advice given via Private Message system] SuperSleeper 2 2,768 02-06-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.