Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Introduction and questions
RE: Introduction and questions
Hi zach,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It would be worth it to you to be able to read your data so you can know for sure what is going on with your sleep.
Supplier #2 here on the board has some great deals on either gently-used or open-box machines.
For information on which machines to buy and which ones to avoid, check out this link: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
Much success to you as you continue and finetune your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2015, 04:32 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi zach,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It would be worth it to you to be able to read your data so you can know for sure what is going on with your sleep.

Hello and thanks for the welcome. A week ago I didn't even know people could see their own data using software programs available to the general public. Now that I know it's out there, I'd love to be able to check my own sleep patterns to see how effective my CPAP therapy is for me.

So it looks like most people replying here use the S9 AutoSet. The machine I have now is manual... are the auto models better? Would the S9 AutoSet be much more beneficial to me than say an S9 Elite?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2015, 01:09 PM)zach Wrote: I was wondering about switching from a nasal mask to a nasal pillow style. I'm fairly certain that I'm not a sleeping mouth-breather. I do remember one time waking up because the air was shooting out of my open mouth. I had been drinking a good bit that evening and I think that's what caused my mouth-breathing. I think I've pretty much "trained" myself to close off my mouth from my nasal passages with my mask on.

If you are able to avoid mouth breathing, you're going to love using a nasal pillows mask. It has the least amount of contact and is most resistant to leaks. I stared in 2008 with a nasal mask and quickly switched. You can do this on your own dime, or tell he DME to change your order. The Resmed Airfit P10 pillows mask is amazingly light and quiet and the exhaust diffuser does not blow air onto you or a bed partner.

I think it's a great idea to talk about your machine with the doctor. I suspect you were prescribed single pressure CPAP, and that's not the problem. The doctor didn't pick the machine, your DME equipment supplier did, and they chose the cheapest lowest end machine that met the prescription to maximize their profits. For very little additional money, a model 460 Pro could have been dispensed which provides full data. The Pro IQ does automatic titration checking every month and works as an Auto when doing that. And the PR System 1 560P is a full auto machine with data. It operates in a range of pressure, providing the minimum pressure to meet your needs, even when your need changes due to position, sleep stage or change in body weight and health. To get a change in machine, you will need a letter of medical necessity. IMHO it is medically necessary to monitor the efficacy of your therapy.

Good luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2015, 01:02 PM)zach Wrote:
Quote:Are you on VA?

No. I've heard horror stories about the VA around here and my company pays for my insurance so I have avoided the VA so far.

(02-09-2015, 01:18 PM)zach Wrote: I get a 'kit' every 3 or 4 months through an auto-renewal program. I think I pay out of pocket around $80-90 for the kit

You really owe it to yourself to ignore all the crap you've heard about the VA and migrate your sleep apnea program to them. You can leave all your other med care docs and whatever where they are if you wish.

The VA does not send me a kit every 3 or 4 months, but I do have an 800 phone number that I can call anytime I want and request whatever it is I think I need. It shows up courtesy of Mr. UPS, and I don't have to pay $80 or $90 --- or anything for it.

If I think I need to see the sleep docs for some reason (although I can't imagine why) there are set hours for emergency sleep clinics I can go to if I don't want to wait for an appointment. Also, thanks to the Arizona "goofyness" we now have new laws in effect that if we cannot get an appointment in a reasonable period of time, or if we live further away from our VA center than 50 miles, we can call the 800 number and get authorization to go wherever we want in the local economy (for regular care or sleep apnea).

The VA system takes a little getting used to, but it might be a very good place for you to be with your sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2015, 05:20 PM)zach Wrote:
(02-09-2015, 04:32 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi zach,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

Hello and thanks for the welcome. A week ago I didn't even know people could see their own data using software programs available to the general public. Now that I know it's out there, I'd love to be able to check my own sleep patterns to see how effective my CPAP therapy is for me.

So it looks like most people replying here use the S9 AutoSet. The machine I have now is manual... are the auto models better? Would the S9 AutoSet be much more beneficial to me than say an S9 Elite?
Yes, I think you have a good topic for your doctor regarding a autoset machine, I think most people would agree, and if you can convince your doctor to right you a new prescription for one your insurance should cover it, To buy a new one yourself there around $700-$900 and I know insurance companies pay more than that.
Good luck!
and Welcome !
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Very good advice here... I really appreciate it!

I'm thinking I'll talk to my doctor first and see if he can do anything to get me a new prescription for an autoset unit.

If not, I'm looking at the site that sells gently-used equipment that was mentioned by a couple of people. It looks like I could get a DS460 (which should be the same as my 260 only w/ data) for around $359 w/ the humidifier. That way I could at least have data collection until it's time for insurance to replace my current machine and then maybe I could upgrade to an autoset.

Thanks to everyone that provided input!
Post Reply Post Reply
A very good primer for picking non-BRICK machines is at the following link, and wiki article.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ew-machine

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your 260 humidifier is compatible with all other 60 series Respironics machines. Just FYI in case that saves a couple dollars. You can resell your 260 on Craigslist...happens all the time. There are tons of these machines under $200 on Craigslist.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
you should get replacement supplies more often than you are. nasal cushions are allowed 2 per month along with filters. some are only replaceable every 3 months and some every 6 months. I would check into the va and see how much it will save you. I think your DME is the one that is messing with you on when you get your supplies but you are paying a lot of money for them (out of pocket). I would look into a new machine and as someone suggested, sale you other one or keep it as a backup.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2015, 10:28 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your 260 humidifier is compatible with all other 60 series Respironics machines. Just FYI in case that saves a couple dollars.

I thought about that when I got home the other day. I was looking at my machine and it hit me that I didn't need to buy the exact same humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 376 9 hours ago
Last Post: Matsu1
  EPR questions juniper 5 197 04-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 178 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
Question [Equipment] Airsense 11 Questions tblaster 2 152 04-02-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: tblaster
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 249 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 363 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 332 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.