Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Introduction of new User
Smile 
Introduction of new User
Hi Folks

New to Forum and wanted to introduce myself.

I'm from South Africa and recently got diagnosed with SA. Went through the whole shebang of sleep test and the end result was 113 AHI per hour. After using a test-machine they came to the conclusion that my pressure should be 15 whatchamacallit Oh-jeez

After some digging on google I decided to get the Resmed Airsense 10 Auto with a F10 mask, which was programmed with the range of 7-16.

I hope to learn much from all you knowledgeable members Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Introduction of new User
G'day SleepMeister007 Welcome

It's good to have you with us. You AHI of 113 is really high, so I imagine you'll find quite a difference with CPAP. It's interesting that you Saffers use the unit whatchamacallit for pressure. Here in "East Capetown" Grin we call it centimetres of water. Wink

Best of luck with your therapy, and feel free to ask any questions you want.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to apneaboard SleepMeister007 from the People's Republic of California.

And whatchamacallit is actually in our Wiki:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...hamacallit
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleepMeister007,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you much success as you start your CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and feel free to ask as many questions as you need to, to help you along on your sleep apnea journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome! 113 AHI is pretty impressive, I hope you quickly start to feel better.
Post Reply Post Reply
If that 113 is all Obstructive Apnea, and with a pressure of 15 whatchamaycallit Bigwink you may endup better off on a bi-level - but perhaps an EPR of 3 will be sufficient... If no CA, I would expect EPR will be more comfy for you.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
Thanks for the warm welcome. Thanks

My results thus far for AHI:
1st night 3.8
2nd night 5.3
3rd night 2.5

So it seems the therapy is working Lolabove just waiting for the 'feeling better' part UnsureUnsure

My only gripe is with the FFM (size M), once the pressure starts to increase and I turn on my side the air starts escaping via the top of the mask\bridge of nose, and sometimes it starts to "whistle" as it escapes, tried adjusting the straps as tight as possible with no success. Dont-know

Is the mast too small/big or should I try a nasal mask. the Technician is coming to see me this afternoon with other masks to try from ResMed.

Any suggestions as to what can be the cause? Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
Great numbers - congratulations! Some people have an instant sensation of zest and vigour, but for most of us it's a bit of a journey. The apnea has probably been doing cumulative damage over a long period of time, so it might take a little while to reverse it.

The mask is the single hardest things to get right. Every face is different and people have so many personal preferences and idiosyncrasies that it's very difficult to get one that suits perfectly. Really the only advice I can offer is to keep trying till you get one you like. You can also use mask liners (Pad-a-cheek or Remzz) to help control leaks and any facial irritations. Generally over-tightening the straps is counter-productive as it distorts the mask seal and can also cause headaches.

For what it's worth the Fisher & Paykel Simplus seems to be the most popular full face mask (I use one) and the Resmed P10 is the most popular nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the F&P Eson nasal mask which has a very similar seal to their Simplus FFM (which I also have but have not opened yet). The Eson seals very, very well for me and the straps can be left quite loose.

Post Reply Post Reply
x 2 on the F&P Simplus, I had 5 others in 6 months that all leaked badly, now I get an occasional leak but no big enough to be bothered with.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member - Introduction cramseur 3 634 02-18-2022, 02:55 PM
Last Post: cramseur
  Introduction - Started 09-29-2021 omalley576 9 1,180 11-03-2021, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] New forum member introduction and questions Jadazu 7 1,037 05-18-2021, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Jadazu
  [CPAP] Introduction Knitman 133 7,870 02-04-2021, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,109 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  [CPAP] Introduction and 1 week in darrenk 7 1,103 12-30-2020, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Introduction- and Journey melodyknit0375 74 6,945 12-25-2020, 12:31 PM
Last Post: Knitman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.