Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Introduction - truckerdad57
Introduction - truckerdad57
It was suggested that I post an introduction thread as I am new to this forum.

I am a long haul truck driver who has been on CPAP since 2002. I am the co coordinator of a support group for truck drivers Truckers for a Cause. (as a new user I can't put a link to our site in but google).

I've been an active member and moderator of the old American Sleep Apnea forums until they went to a Facebook based platform (see other thread).

I'll try to be as helpful as I can with questions from truck drivers or others dealing with DOT medical cards as it relates to sleep apnea.

Feel free to e-mail me if there is a thread on trucking related issues no one else has chimed in on.

I'll also try to be as helpful with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADAA) questions about reasonable accommodations for OSA in employment as I have had to learn more than I wanted about the EEOC and its complaint and enforcement process.

I'll also try to be as helpful as I can with questions about 12-V power supplies and invertors for running CPAP on batteries.

Last I've been involved with "intentional abuse" testing of cpap in sleeper berth equipped trucks for years. I take CPAP out and see how long it takes me to break them in the truck. Therefore I've got about any CPAP on the market in my "collection". I'll try to post on comparison questions from that perspective.

I'm new to these forum and hope to find a new online home after the old ASAA forums went a direction I was not at all comfortable with.

Hope this helps...

Bob Stanton (AKA truckerdad57)
(Just a truck driver with sleep apnea )
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Introduction - truckerdad57
Welcome to the forum! I look forward in seeing your posts.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome. I've run across a lot of questions from people seeking relatively lightweight battery power for CPAP machines, and am curious what you've found effective. The Philips Respironics models seem to work well with 12 volt LiIon battery supplies like the PowerAdd Pilot Pro 32000 mAh multivoltage batteries. I'm wondering if you've found good options for battery operation of XPAP units where AC power is not available.

Battery dependabilty is an issue, and while PR units run well on 12 volts, the Resmed units require 24 volts and are not so easy to adapt. Thanks for joining and bringing your trucking perspective and expertise to the forums.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
We were traveling once and had to stop to take a power nap and I hooked my machine up to the outlet in the car and it worked great. Of course, this was a short nap but I was surprised how well that it worked for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Trucker,

Since you've been a member since 5/12, I suspect you already know your way to the bagel counter. It's great to hear you'll be available to answer truckin' questions about cpap. That's an important issue. We've had some guys drive through with questions and concerns, now with your help we'll be able to help keep them on the road.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Trucker,
What a cool dimension of experience you add. Obviously you've been around a lot longer than I have in c-pap world. Sorry to hear about your old forum going where you didn't prefer to go. It's hard when what was once "home" closes up shop.

Susan
The Manse Hen
Post Reply Post Reply
truckerdad57,
Welcome Aboard! I'm sure this will become your second home.
Looking forward to hearing more infomation on the subject of battery backup for CPAP machine. Like what is suggested to power your CPAP for a day if power would go out. Not necessarily for travel, but just home use. Can you tell I'm paranoid about going without my CPAP, although I'm sure I would survive a night.
Coffee
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome (here). I know there are several discussions of transportable battery usage, many for camping but your truck experience sounds completely relevant.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome. We have some other long haul drivers on the forum. I'm sure you can be helpful to them and many others.
Large tractors have big batteries; and are 24 Volt -- correct?
So, power in the the sleeper berth isn't an issue.
And, I assume you pull your humidifier tank before you hit the road.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2015, 03:43 PM)truckerdad57 Wrote: ... I've been involved with "intentional abuse" testing of cpap in sleeper berth equipped trucks for years.

this statement initially sparked a vision of wild trucker parties, passing the CPAP mask around the circle, giddy laughter. Eat-popcorn

Welcome TD57! It is great to have a longer term experienced CPAP'r. You words of wisdom will help the new user know there is a path of success ahead of them.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member - Introduction cramseur 3 634 02-18-2022, 02:55 PM
Last Post: cramseur
  Introduction - Started 09-29-2021 omalley576 9 1,180 11-03-2021, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] New forum member introduction and questions Jadazu 7 1,038 05-18-2021, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Jadazu
  [CPAP] Introduction Knitman 133 7,877 02-04-2021, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Introduction and 1 week in darrenk 7 1,103 12-30-2020, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Introduction- and Journey melodyknit0375 74 6,946 12-25-2020, 12:31 PM
Last Post: Knitman
  Introduction asheq 7 1,008 09-22-2020, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Cpapian

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.