Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Investigating Humidifier Issue
Investigating Humidifier Issue
I started using the Philips DreamStation in December 2019.  In the last two months, I have noticed severe dry eyes when waking up and throughout the day.  My research says that my humidifier could help.

However, I'm not sure that my humidifier is working properly.  I fill the reservoir to the max line, set the humidifier level to 5 fixed (not auto), the tube is set to heated on 3, and yet the water in the reservoir will last a week!

Step 1: I first exchanged the water reservoir with a new unit from the manufacturer with no change.
Step 2: I then exchanged the humidifier with a new unit from the manufacturer with no change.
Step 3: I then exchanged the APAP machine with a new unit from the manufacturer with no change.

Troubleshooting with tech support after Step 1 above, the heat plate would get super-hot to the touch when covering the hose outlet with my hand for 60 seconds.  Yet, in normal usage, the water would barely get warm.  Measuring the temperature of the water with a food thermometer showed the water preheated to about 90 degrees F.  The hose gets warm, but then isn't warm in the middle of the night.

Last night was my first night using the new APAP machine in Step 3 above, the water preheated to 104 degrees F, but I woke up with very little water used.  I'm using the Philips DreamWear Nasal under the nose mask.  I get 100% mask fit every night and use the machine 7-8 hours a night.

Attached are three OSCAR screenshots if that is useful.  Why is my humidifier seemingly not working even between multiple machines?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Investigating Humidifier Issue
Hi rreeves,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

I doubt your dry eye issue has anything to do with the humidifier.  

The problem lies with your mask, more specifically the under the nose nasal seal isn't fitting you that well and is leaking air upward and hitting your eyes.  Your leak rate isn't too high, but try to pay attention if air is leaking from the nasal seal.

Either check the mask straps and do some adjusting, or try a different size nasal cushion.  

Believe me, I've had this issue with dry eyes too.  I use a nasal pillow mask, and when the pillows start to get soft, they move around and/or don't seal well.  Any air that leaks will hit my eyes.  Sad

Some other things to consider:

Use eye drops specifically for dry eyes.  I use Systane Eye products.  At night, Systane Dry Eye Ointment is excellent for protecting your eyes.  During the day, if needed, use Systane Gel drops.  

Another thing to try is an Eye Mask.

If you notice, I am focused on your eyes, because from experience, any air hitting the eyes at night will cause dry eyes and can be damaging.  I can't explain why your humidifier water lasts a week.  That's somewhat unusual.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The water in my old Respironics 560 would last about 4 days but now i have to fill my Airsense 10 every two days. Must be a size difference. Miss the longer refills and run out out of water more often now!
Post Reply Post Reply
Another two things that can affect how long the water lasts in a humidifier tub is your room humidity level and since we're headed into cooler weather, the heat type you use can be in play as some types tend to dry air out faster or slower. Maybe your room humidity is at such a level that the water isn't used up quickly.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Our house currently is at 52-53% humidity indoors (thermostat shows our indoor humidity at 53%, and another device I have shows 52% indoors, so those agree with each other and give me confidence they are likely correct).  I don't know if that is "high" or not in this regard...
Post Reply Post Reply
I live in Colorado - its dry here. If I sleep eight or more hours my water is all used up. If I sleep a bit less, there is sometimes a little water left in the tank. It sounds like you live with much higher humidity. That may be all it is.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Here in AZ. high humidity isn't a problem all that often. Rarely, and I do mean rarely, does my water reservoir run low or out of water. 

It has happened, but I can count those occasions on a couple of fingers. I leave the heated tube option off. Not sure at what level my humidity is set, but it's very low. I'll check tonight just to see for sure. 

The last thing I want to breathe is warm, moist air................... Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
I've heard 30-50% humidity is the accepted range. Lower and it's too dry, ending up drying nasal passages etc. And higher means you'll possibly get condensation on the windows in cooler weather.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just checked my machine. I have the climate control set on auto.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Rreeves you are not alone in the flakey humidifyer issue.

I will start with a back story: Last fall I had a loner dreamstation for titration. That one dryed up a container of water in about 5 hours. The warm moist air was very soothing, like living in the tropics. I almost did not choose dreamstation thinking the water canister was too small. The silence of the machine won me over, I decided I could always add water when I get up to pee.

I ended up purchasing a Dreamstation on line,  the system was $2000 less than the local bricks an mortar store. Now I wake up with a dry mouth. Some days it only takes 5mm of water out of the container. I feel like it is a sofware coding problem, they removed preheat from this model. If my provider or I change the setting it works the next day or two then quits again.

Philips is not at all accomodating in solving this problem. If I phone my provider and you phone yours they simply think we are kookoo. If every one with the problem could call Phillips they may have an aaha moment and realize there is a bad batch of serial numbers out there.

My provider would exchange the unit but shipping is such an expensive pain I want to wait untill they have a new batch in stock.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 0 8 25 minutes ago
Last Post: cps22
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 101 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,410 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,373 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 102 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  hypertension issue PaulaO2 19 659 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 1 184 03-02-2024, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.