Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Irritated skin around where mask seals
RE: Irritated skin around where mask seals
(10-18-2014, 04:04 PM)eviltim Wrote:
(10-18-2014, 03:51 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(10-18-2014, 03:42 PM)eviltim Wrote: Hey guys I'm having a pretty rough time here. I thought I would switch to the F10 full time but while the leaks have been great I have developed red, irritated skin where the mask seals and I'm not sure what to do. I definitely don't think it's an allergic reaction of any kind, it's just somewhat dried out and red looking. Has anyone dealt with anything like this? I'm not sure I can loosen it up any more and still keep my leaks under control, though I'll give it a try. I've been meaning to start rotating it out with the nasal pillows but dangit I just sleep so well with this mask on.

In detail, what is your procedure for cleaning the mask and how often?

Clean with soap and warm water, rinse, allow to dry, about once a month. Do you reckon more frequent cleaning will help?

In my Resmed Activa LT manual, it recommends cleaning the cushion after every use to remove any facial oil and washing the headgear once a week. It also reommend you wash your face before you put on your mask. I had a problem with the bridge of my nose being very sore and after starting a routine of washing the cushion daily solved that problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild soap. It developed over several weeks, was not immediate. Since I'm on an F10, boiling the mask is not an option, due to hard plastic bits on the mask. Will give the daily washing routine a try though.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2014, 11:55 PM)eviltim Wrote: I use Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild soap. It developed over several weeks, was not immediate. Since I'm on an F10, boiling the mask is not an option, due to hard plastic bits on the mask. Will give the daily washing routine a try though.

No need to boil any part of the mask. I wash my mask and cushion using mild dishwashing detergent (Dawn) and rinsing well every morning. That did the trick for me, the sore redness went away. What also helped is after washing my face, prior to sleeping, I would put some KY jelly on the red sore spots until they went away. Something my DME suggested, KY jelly is water soluble and won't damage the mask cushion.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pad a cheek is awesome. Love it. It killed most of the leaks and is soft to the face.
Post Reply Post Reply
I feel like washing it the last two days has helped. It's really not a big deal to rinse it with water, I just need to re-program myself to do it when I refill my humidifier in the morning. Easier said than done because I do it in my post-wakeup haze.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2014, 12:34 AM)eviltim Wrote: I feel like washing it the last two days has helped. It's really not a big deal to rinse it with water, I just need to re-program myself to do it when I refill my humidifier in the morning. Easier said than done because I do it in my post-wakeup haze.

Good to hear things are improving. You might want to use a mild soap also, water alone won't be able to clean the facial oil off. Or you can also use CPAP mask wipes to remove the oil. The facial oil is a great breeding ground for bacteria growth. It took me a little time to get into my morning cleaning routine, I have not had any problems with redness or sores developing since I have been on my cleaning routine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Day 2 of using the padacheek but it seems to have increased the leaks quite a bit. Irritation is still there but I'm not sure if it's just taking a while to go away.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, just an update. Washing + lanolin has fixed this. However I've discovered if I use lanolin below my lip it can actually cause the mask to slide up and i'll wake up with the mask seal in my mouth. :O
Post Reply Post Reply
I wash my mask daily with warm water using ivory soap. I air dry the masks. I have three and usually wash them all at the same time. I make sure my face is clean at bedtime. I also wash my hose once a week and air dry it too along with the humidifer tray.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another option for dealing with the skin issues is chamois cream (yes, the anti-chafe stuff cyclists use). When I've had an issue with pressure sores or mask irritation, it has done wonders. Can be a bit slick for at night (depending on how much you use, it could get the mask sliding), but during the day a light coating absorbs in and helps with healing.

Daily (or every other day) cleaning in a mild detergent with a good rinse afterwards (flowing water, otherwise you will leave a weak coating of the soap) has worked well for Mrs. Psycho and I (we're bot hoseheads).
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 99 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Skin treatment for mouth taping? GaspForAir 2 1,245 09-25-2023, 06:42 PM
Last Post: edfreeman
  [CPAP] Sensitive skin conphil 4 434 09-01-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: conphil
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Skin irritation with Evora full face mask misajon 0 770 02-02-2023, 01:11 PM
Last Post: misajon
  [Equipment] O2 ring itchy skin Ulysses87 4 760 01-17-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Nose bridge skin problem nabilx 4 744 12-30-2022, 12:10 AM
Last Post: Jeff8356

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.