Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Irritation around nostrils
Irritation around nostrils
I used my nasal pillows last nightl by resmed. I am guessing I had them too tight cause I have some irritation  around my the outside of my nostrils. I Am going to use the nasal cushion tonight to help it heal. What would be the best way to promote healing and tamp down the redness. Thank you kindly..

Andy
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Irritation around nostrils
I know when I get brand new pillows for my P10 I will get some soreness for a few days(not always), I do not what causes it because I have been using the same mask for 5 years and it is just a great mask for me it seems(not perfect but works very well). What I learned was just use some Lansinoh brand
( Lanolin HPA) usally in the infant area of a Pharmacy. It is thick paste and is used by mom's breast feeding and it works for myself and many others.
It gives a barrier between the new pillow silicon and skin under the nose to let it heal.
Hope it helps your discomfort!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2020, 04:07 PM)andycc Wrote: I used my nasal pillows last night by resmed. I am guessing I had them too tight cause I have some irritation  around my the outside of my nostrils. I Am going to use the nasal cushion tonight to help it heal. What would be the best way to promote healing and tamp down the redness. Thank you kindly..

I have tried to use antibiotic ointment (comes in a tube, cheap, no prescription required). But I can't say that it really sped up the healing faster than my own antibodies. More to the point, I have found that smearing a tiny bit of petroleum jelly inside the nostril before putting on the mask helps prevent irritation. 

You didn't say which mask caused the irritation. I use an Airfit P10 (Resmed), and I prefer it, but it causes more irritation than others. When I get an irritation I use a Nuance for a couple nights until my nostrils clear up. The Nuance is also a pillow mask, but its pillows don't stick so deep into the nostril, so it causes less irritation. On the other hand, I have more leaks with the Nuance.
Post Reply Post Reply
It was the new p10, with the hose coming  out of the top of the head. Similar to the dreamwear  stuff. I know I was constantly toggling all night and couldn’t seem to get a good fit. Then woke up with it irritated . I’ll put some Desitin or another salve on it tonight and try the dreamwear cussion so it’s not so far up my nose. Thank you for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
They sent me home with the “small” pillow and it rubbed my nose raw the first night. I changed to the “medium” the second night. Redness cleared up immediately. I went to the large and that is where I am today.  

Try a bigger pillow. Experiment and it might work.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Kip Thanks I will explore. And thank you. It scared me cause I can’t tolerate the full face mask so I need to use a nasal
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I had the same problem when I started out.  I always wash my face with CeraVe and use Aquaphor on my nostrils (not too much, just a little) and that really did the trick.

Hope you get some relief.

Dabve
Post Reply Post Reply
I alternate between the under the nose cushion and the nasal pillows if I have any issues. For the Dreamwear, they both fit the same frame!
Post Reply Post Reply
Lansinoh is the most natural thing you could use, and it would do the trick. A little goes a long way.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cool 
Andy, I have had the same problem and solved by using Chapstick under my nose before I put the mask on.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impact of Resmed P10 on Nostrils ivan007 1 74 03-26-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 464 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg
  Enlargement of Nostrils by Nasal Pillows? OpineCone 64 24,024 12-21-2023, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Nose/Nosering Irritation Braven05 8 625 12-18-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  My suggestion for help with nasal pillow irritation rebean 3 664 12-06-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Nose irritation with nasal pillows (p10) Jobaaayyy 10 987 10-24-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Jobaaayyy
  [Equipment] Dreamwear mask irritation on nose septum Dean Harman 10 6,015 03-11-2023, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Cc1263

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.