Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is "0" Events Achievable?
RE: Is "0" Events Achievable?

So don't sweat AHI if it is lower than 5.
Started APAP 4-20, Closed range to 7.5-14, then straight 8.0 and now 7.5 w/ Aflex 3
RDI always below 1. But sleep much much better at straight pressure.
Started on F10, Tried Quattro Air successfully. Finally settled on P10.
(This post was last modified: Today 12:28 AM by AshSF.)

AshSF,
How did you determine to use a straight pressure of 8? When you were using Auto 7.5-14, did your pressure not go higher than 8?

An example: With my setting of 9-13, my 90% pressure is usually around 11.
If I so desired to use a straight pressure setting, would I use 11, or Auto 11-11 to be able to track RERA's? In other words, did you use your 90% number to determine your setting?
Thanks,
OpalRose

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2015, 11:49 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Post: #10RE: Is "0" Events Achievable?

Started APAP 4-20, Closed range to 7.5-14, then straight 8.0 and now 7.5 w/ Aflex 3

AshSF,
How did you determine to use a straight pressure of 8? When you were using Auto 7.5-14, did your pressure not go higher than 8?

If I so desired to use a straight pressure setting, would I use 11, or Auto 11-11 to be able to track RERA's? In other words, did you use your 90% number to determine your setting?
Thanks,
OpalRose

Not AshSF, but yeah. I would run a straight machine at the 90% pressure. (95% pressure if you have a ResMed machine) My 95% pressure was 11.5 - I think my 90% pressure is around 11. So that's what I ran the Z-1 at.

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2015, 12:04 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:

AshSF,

Thanks,
OpalRose

Not AshSF, but yeah. I would run a straight machine at the 90% pressure. (95% pressure if you have a ResMed machine) My 95% pressure was 11.5 - I think my 90% pressure is around 11. So that's what I ran the Z-1 at.

OMM

Thanks OMM
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

AshSF,

Thanks,
OpalRose

OR: On FFM (F10), my peak pressure did go up to 14.5. That is why I narrowed the range to 14.5 on the top end. When I moved from FFM (F10) to Nasal Pillows, my 90% pressure was around 8.5. Since the PRS1 60 series does hunt-n-peck and consequently, its 90% pressure may be higher than what is actually needed, so I thought I should set it to a straight pressure below 8.5 so I set it to 8.0. After 30 days on 8.0, I realized that my average RDI was 0.26. Then I decided to progressively lower the pressure to see the effect on RDI. So I took it down to 7.5. Its been 7 days but the RDI is actually below 0.15 (go figure!). If this holds for a full 30 days, I will then lower it to 7.0.

The 90% pressure report on an Auto may be raised due to multiple reasons:
1) Hunt-n-peck in case of PRS1 autos.
2) APAPs chasing FLs and Snores thus raising the pressure aggressively (especially Resmeds). These snores are assumed to be leading to actual events but that may not be the case for a lot of people (wasn't for me).

To go to straight pressure, using 90% pressure as the start pressure is good advice. Evaluate it for 2 weeks at least. If the RDI is good, you should try and reduce it by 0.5 cm at a time, see the effect over 2 weeks at least and then decide if you want to lower it further. Conversely, if the RDI is not good, you may want to raise it by 0.5cm at a time and evaluate over 2 weeks. In your case, I would suggest you do APAP for 10.5 - 10.5 first. And go from there.

One more thing that has happened for me after going to a straight pressure is that my I:E ratio has finally normalized to close to 1:2. On an APAP it was more like 1:0.75

My 2 cents. YMMV.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Ash,
I notice that my system does that hunt and peck thing. It will raise pressure in response to snores or flow limitation, but no apnea events before or after. All it does it wake me up as I am very sensitive to those pressure changes. I think I will make this change and evaluate it for a couple weeks.

Just for the record, I'm not trying for an AHI of 0.0. If it happened, great!
What I'm looking for is more consistent sleep instead of being woke up with sudden pressure changes. Then I feel like crap the next day.
OpalRose
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
OR: According to this article:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12150317/
APAP can cause micro arousals and disturb sleep in some people. So it's worth a try to go to constant pressure to see if you are one of them.

As long as your AHI stays lower than 5, you should focus on how you feel to evaluate this.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2015, 02:45 PM)AshSF Wrote: OR: According to this article:
APAP can cause micro arousals and disturb sleep in some people. So it's worth a try to go to constant pressure to see if you are one of them.

As long as your AHI stays lower than 5, you should focus on how you feel to evaluate this.

I think Opal is concerned about macro arousals with pressure changes but she probably has some micro arousals too. Interesting article.

OpalRose,

I think what Ash said is a good idea. If you can determine a pressure that appears to do the job that you need overall, I would try it using your machine as a single pressure CPAP and watch your results for a while. If I were choosing the single pressure, I would look back over my data. I would not consider any really bad nights especially if you know the cause. Then I would pick the highest 95% pressure from good nights and use that as my singular pressure to try. I think it might be worth a try.

Since you appear to be very sensitive to pressure changes you might want to consider turning flex off too,if it is bearable.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2015, 03:58 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(04-03-2015, 02:45 PM)AshSF Wrote: OR: According to this article:

I think Opal is concerned about macro arousals with pressure changes but she probably has some micro arousals too. Interesting article.

OpalRose,

I think what Ash said is a good idea. If you can determine a pressure that appears to do the job that you need overall, I would try it using your machine as a single pressure CPAP and watch your results for a while. If I were choosing the single pressure, I would look back over my data. I would not consider any really bad nights especially if you know the cause. Then I would pick the highest 95% pressure from good nights and use that as my singular pressure to try. I think it might be worth a try.

Since you appear to be very sensitive to pressure changes you might want to consider turning flex off too,if it is bearable.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Thanks PaytonA,
My homework for tonight! Look back over my data before making a change.
This is what it's come to...a Friday night looking at CPAP Data. Ha,Ha
OpalRose
Eat-popcorn
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I'd imagine it could be but I wouldn't drive myself crazy trying.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have decided that zero is not good enough. I have set -3 as my new goal.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 329 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 263 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 116 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 174 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 266 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 761 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.