Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Pilairo Q
Humidifier: dreamstation
CPAP Pressure: 11
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

RE: Is 2nd hospital stay necessary?
When I had my sleep titration done I took 10 mg of Ambien (since I didn't sleep well during the sleep study , put the mask on and did not wake up once! Not eve to go pee which I usually do at least 3-4 times a night. It was heaven. Just hoping when I finally get one at home it will be as nice!
10-29-2015 04:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Jimsp1 Online

Preferred Members

Machine: DreamStation Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: DreamWear
Humidifier: DreamStation
CPAP Pressure: 7-10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncorePro

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
(10-29-2015 04:42 PM)Newbie Granny Wrote:  When I had my sleep titration done I took 10 mg of Ambien (since I didn't sleep well during the sleep study , put the mask on and did not wake up once! Not eve to go pee which I usually do at least 3-4 times a night. It was heaven. Just hoping when I finally get one at home it will be as nice!
I inquired about prescribing a sleep aid prior to the titration study but was told they don't do that.
Perhaps I should have found a doctor that would have prescribed one and took it without mentioning it to the the sleep lab people
10-29-2015 05:19 PM
drtrech Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Respironics DreamWear
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: 6-10

Other Comments:

They prescribed the ambien for me as a matter of course.
10-29-2015 05:38 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Newbie Granny Offline

Members

Machine: Dreamstation AutoCPAP
Mask Make & Model: Pilairo Q
Humidifier: dreamstation
CPAP Pressure: 11

Other Comments:

They knew I took the Ambien because when I did the sleep study I couldn't go to sleep so they offered me one. I only took 5 mg that night because I wasn't sure how sleepy it would make me the next morning. When I got the bill they charged me $26.53 for that one pill. I got my Dr. To prescribe 1 pill for me ahead of time and it cost me 9 cents at the pharmacy! Talk about a ripoff.
10-29-2015 05:58 PM
WakeUpTime Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One BiPAP S60 Auto 760
Mask Make & Model: P10 pillows
Humidifier: PR S1 w Heated Tube+Hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto / Inhale 11-12.5 / Exh 9
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

(09-24-2015 08:09 PM)Newbie Granny Wrote:  Ok guys, had the sleep study done in hospital. They determined I had 45 episodes an hour. Now they want me to come back for another night to determine pressure settings, but after getting the bill from the hospital today saying I owe nearly 600.00 after my insurance has paid and I have met my deductible for the year, I'm wondering if there is a cheaper way to do this. Any thoughts?

Yes, it's absolutely worth another $600 for the pressure settings analysis at a hospital with experts in my opinion. However, depending on one's location, insurance, etc., some countries, insurance plans, etc., allow for a CPAP 30-day trial with a CPAP supplier. That CPAP supplier might possibly help determine your pressures initially too as part of their service and setup. Having said that, I would even go into debt if I had to, in order to improve the quality of my sleep and life. There's no cost I wouldn't absorb to better survive the curse of sleep apnea.

(10-29-2015 05:19 PM)Jimsp1 Wrote:  
(10-29-2015 04:42 PM)Newbie Granny Wrote:  When I had my sleep titration done I took 10 mg of Ambien (since I didn't sleep well during the sleep study , put the mask on and did not wake up once! Not eve to go pee which I usually do at least 3-4 times a night. It was heaven. Just hoping when I finally get one at home it will be as nice!
I inquired about prescribing a sleep aid prior to the titration study but was told they don't do that.
Perhaps I should have found a doctor that would have prescribed one and took it without mentioning it to the sleep lab people

On the one hand, sleep aids might affect results. On the other hand, I use a sleep aid every night still, and the hospital PAP rep advised "take any meds you like and normally take, but document it on your report after". Having said that, I didn't use a sleep aid during both my 1st sleep apnea night testing and my follow-up (months later) pressure settings night. As a result, I had an absolutely impossible sleep with all the wires etc. I would have loved to have known what my results would have truly been if I were "knocked out".

Sleep Apnea has given me a terrible memory. Please forgive me if I've repeated myself.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2015 06:07 PM by WakeUpTime.)
10-29-2015 06:00 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
shutz1012 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Respironics REMstar Auto A-Flex
Mask Make & Model: Nasal Mask - Wisp
Humidifier: System One Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 6-11
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

If I only owed 600.00 per study I would go back, but your 2 studies don't even equal the cost of my one. When it would be all said and done, I would be paying 3,300.00 out of pocket, and that's just for the initial study and a titration study!! That doesn't include the cost I'll have to pay for my machine....I have no health issues so, I am not even close to my deductible of 8,000.00...so, I will titrate myself..Insurance is a complete ripoff..can't live without it, and can't live with it!!
10-29-2015 07:29 PM
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

my insurance prefers to pay for a home study + APAP. They only pay for in lab study and/or titration if APAP doesnt do the trick... I see no reason not to go that route, myself, it is a heck of a lot less expensive and treats 95% of cases and treats them better than the old method of 2 studies then straight cpap with no data! If APAP doesn't provide measurable and sustainable results you can always go the big money route later.

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
10-30-2015 01:29 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
brianwood619 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 16-22cm/h2o
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

call your insurance company and ask them
they should understand the diagnosis and treatment have not been completed without the titration study
10-30-2015 04:27 PM
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(10-30-2015 01:29 PM)DariaVader Wrote:  my insurance prefers to pay for a home study + APAP. They only pay for in lab study and/or titration if APAP doesnt do the trick... I see no reason not to go that route, myself, it is a heck of a lot less expensive and treats 95% of cases and treats them better than the old method of 2 studies then straight cpap with no data! If APAP doesn't provide measurable and sustainable results you can always go the big money route later.

Gee Daria, measurable and sustainable results!!!! Huh What are you thinking???? Someone would have to put forth some effort to measure and check sustainability and not just wait for you to call and then ask you if you are using your CPAP for 4 hours per night.

I do not know Daria. You are obviously way ahead of your time. Revolutionary, in fact. Dont-know At this rate you might end up with the whole medical-political complex after you.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
10-30-2015 05:39 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Power Outage: Stay Awake Or Sleep W/O CPAP? player 11 713 10-26-2016 08:29 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  [Equipment] CPAP use in the hospital PaulaO2 4 392 09-04-2016 07:00 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  VA Hospital Sepulveda TerrySnyder95 2 679 05-17-2016 11:55 PM
Last Post: kennyb805
  Dr too slow? Go to the hospital? dd777 28 1,903 03-20-2016 03:56 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Stay with Machine? Charles1970 11 1,087 11-11-2015 12:28 AM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Should I buy through the DME, Hospital or Online? Ailu 18 3,019 10-29-2015 04:18 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  straight cpap at hospital GrammaBear 13 1,716 09-21-2015 07:40 AM
Last Post: 49er