Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is 2nd hospital stay necessary?
RE: Is 2nd hospital stay necessary?
When I had my sleep titration done I took 10 mg of Ambien (since I didn't sleep well during the sleep study , put the mask on and did not wake up once! Not eve to go pee which I usually do at least 3-4 times a night. It was heaven. Just hoping when I finally get one at home it will be as nice!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2015, 04:42 PM)Newbie Granny Wrote: When I had my sleep titration done I took 10 mg of Ambien (since I didn't sleep well during the sleep study , put the mask on and did not wake up once! Not eve to go pee which I usually do at least 3-4 times a night. It was heaven. Just hoping when I finally get one at home it will be as nice!
I inquired about prescribing a sleep aid prior to the titration study but was told they don't do that.
Perhaps I should have found a doctor that would have prescribed one and took it without mentioning it to the the sleep lab people
Post Reply Post Reply
They prescribed the ambien for me as a matter of course.
Post Reply Post Reply
They knew I took the Ambien because when I did the sleep study I couldn't go to sleep so they offered me one. I only took 5 mg that night because I wasn't sure how sleepy it would make me the next morning. When I got the bill they charged me $26.53 for that one pill. I got my Dr. To prescribe 1 pill for me ahead of time and it cost me 9 cents at the pharmacy! Talk about a ripoff.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2015, 08:09 PM)Newbie Granny Wrote: Ok guys, had the sleep study done in hospital. They determined I had 45 episodes an hour. Now they want me to come back for another night to determine pressure settings, but after getting the bill from the hospital today saying I owe nearly 600.00 after my insurance has paid and I have met my deductible for the year, I'm wondering if there is a cheaper way to do this. Any thoughts?

Yes, it's absolutely worth another $600 for the pressure settings analysis at a hospital with experts in my opinion. However, depending on one's location, insurance, etc., some countries, insurance plans, etc., allow for a CPAP 30-day trial with a CPAP supplier. That CPAP supplier might possibly help determine your pressures initially too as part of their service and setup. Having said that, I would even go into debt if I had to, in order to improve the quality of my sleep and life. There's no cost I wouldn't absorb to better survive the curse of sleep apnea.

(10-29-2015, 05:19 PM)Jimsp1 Wrote:
(10-29-2015, 04:42 PM)Newbie Granny Wrote: When I had my sleep titration done I took 10 mg of Ambien (since I didn't sleep well during the sleep study , put the mask on and did not wake up once! Not eve to go pee which I usually do at least 3-4 times a night. It was heaven. Just hoping when I finally get one at home it will be as nice!
I inquired about prescribing a sleep aid prior to the titration study but was told they don't do that.
Perhaps I should have found a doctor that would have prescribed one and took it without mentioning it to the sleep lab people

On the one hand, sleep aids might affect results. On the other hand, I use a sleep aid every night still, and the hospital PAP rep advised "take any meds you like and normally take, but document it on your report after". Having said that, I didn't use a sleep aid during both my 1st sleep apnea night testing and my follow-up (months later) pressure settings night. As a result, I had an absolutely impossible sleep with all the wires etc. I would have loved to have known what my results would have truly been if I were "knocked out".
Post Reply Post Reply
If I only owed 600.00 per study I would go back, but your 2 studies don't even equal the cost of my one. When it would be all said and done, I would be paying 3,300.00 out of pocket, and that's just for the initial study and a titration study!! That doesn't include the cost I'll have to pay for my machine....I have no health issues so, I am not even close to my deductible of 8,000.00...so, I will titrate myself..Insurance is a complete ripoff..can't live without it, and can't live with it!!
Post Reply Post Reply
my insurance prefers to pay for a home study + APAP. They only pay for in lab study and/or titration if APAP doesnt do the trick... I see no reason not to go that route, myself, it is a heck of a lot less expensive and treats 95% of cases and treats them better than the old method of 2 studies then straight cpap with no data! If APAP doesn't provide measurable and sustainable results you can always go the big money route later.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
call your insurance company and ask them
they should understand the diagnosis and treatment have not been completed without the titration study
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-30-2015, 01:29 PM)DariaVader Wrote: my insurance prefers to pay for a home study + APAP. They only pay for in lab study and/or titration if APAP doesnt do the trick... I see no reason not to go that route, myself, it is a heck of a lot less expensive and treats 95% of cases and treats them better than the old method of 2 studies then straight cpap with no data! If APAP doesn't provide measurable and sustainable results you can always go the big money route later.

Gee Daria, measurable and sustainable results!!!! Huh What are you thinking???? Someone would have to put forth some effort to measure and check sustainability and not just wait for you to call and then ask you if you are using your CPAP for 4 hours per night.

I do not know Daria. You are obviously way ahead of your time. Revolutionary, in fact. Dont-know At this rate you might end up with the whole medical-political complex after you.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Best Sleep Hospital or Clinic for Troubleshooting PAP Perchance2Dream 1 464 04-13-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Improvement after adjustments - still can't stay asleep DKane 0 74 04-12-2024, 09:55 AM
Last Post: DKane
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 10 357 04-02-2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: DKane
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 535 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 182 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] ResMed heated humidifier tubing doesn't stay warm Dr.Bob 8 1,335 04-06-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Need help: stinky air from CPAP after hospital stay SakimaStorm 4 594 01-26-2023, 07:49 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.