Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is 3,100 run hours alot for Resmed Aircurve 10 ST-A?
Is 3,100 run hours alot for Resmed Aircurve 10 ST-A?
In your opinion, is 3,100 run hours alot of hours for a used Resmed aircurve machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is 3,100 run hours alot for Resmed?
Usually, I use the factor of 8(hours) * 365.25 (days in a year+ leap factor) = 2922 hours.  So, 3100/8 = 387.5 days or 1 year 22.5 days.  Which is about 1/5 of its planned life span.  They can and do last a lot longer though. Besides run hours another consideration is, did the unit come from a smoking environment?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2020, 02:40 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Usually, I use the factor of 8(hours) * 365.25 (days in a year+ leap factor) = 2922 hours.  So, 3100/8 = 387.5 days or 1 year 22.5 days.  Which is about 1/5 of its planned life span.  They can and do last a lot longer though.  Besides run hours another consideration is, did the unit come from a smoking environment?

Very good question I will have to find out. If the answer is yes, does that shorten the life-span?
Post Reply Post Reply
No, but if you're a non-smoker it will smell like you are. Several posts here deal with trying to remove the smoke odor. You don't want an "April Fool!" this late in the month.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2020, 02:57 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: No, but if you're a non-smoker it will smell like you are.  Several posts here deal with trying to remove the smoke odor.  You don't want an "April Fool!" this late in the month.

Good to know thanks. And when you say smoke odor are you just talking about the device smell like smoke externally or it will smell like smoke internally while it blows air that smells like smoke?
Post Reply Post Reply
Any device that has been in a cigarette smoker's house will smell like a stale ashtray, even if it was rarely used. I bought a 350 hour BiPAP that had to be completely cleaned, silicone seals replaced and Ozium ducted through the machine to even begin to kill the smell. It eventually cleared, but any machine exposed to smoking is very depreciated as a result because many people simply cannot use it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2020, 03:51 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Any device that has been in a cigarette smoker's house will smell like a stale ashtray, even if it was rarely used.  I bought a 350 hour BiPAP that had to be completely cleaned, silicone seals replaced and Ozium ducted through the machine to even begin to kill the smell.  It eventually cleared, but any machine exposed to smoking is very depreciated as a result because many people simply cannot use it.

The machine doesn't smell like smoke externally at all and I haven't used it yet or tried it out. I did not get a response yet about whether it came from a smoke free environment but If it doesn't smell at all like smoke externally, should I be good to go or do I still have to worry about it smelling like smoke when air blows through the hose?
Post Reply Post Reply
What you breathe through the hose should count more IMO.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Chances are you are in the clear. Just look at the silicone seals at the humidifier, and if they are not yellow, smoke should not be a problem. Yes, it's that bad.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Okay great. So pretty much I bought a used ResMed aircurve 10 st-a for a total of $758 (including shipping and tax) and it has 3,058 hours on it. The guy said that it was in a smoke free environment and it doesn't smell like smoke at all from what I'm seeing and smelling. I wanted to try the ST-A and/or have it as a backup if not my main device. Do you think that was a good deal?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 293 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,492 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 201 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,232 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 87 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 284 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.