Is 87.5% considered too much for large leaks?
FrankNichols Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed F10 and/or P10
Humidifier: Builtin
CPAP Pressure: 17-19
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: I've figured out how to get my AHI down to 5, I quit sleeping!

Sex: Male

RE: Is 87.5% considered too much for large leaks?
(07-14-2016 10:01 PM)srlevine1 Wrote:  I came across an unpublicized self-funded effort to laser-image your face and then use a 3-D printer to prepare a flexible plastic interface to maximize comfort and minimize leakage. They were experimenting with iPhone face capture software along with some other tech tricks. It seems that one of the problems they were encountering was the slippage of strapping on hair. Haven't heard of any similar efforts -- but someone out there must be working on the issue.

Interesting, I was thinking of some form of a memory foam silicone combination that would be air tight, and conform your resting face shape but would deform as you move your face muscles etc. Sadly the picture that came to mind as I was trying to envision it was a stingray about 5 or 6 inches tall with the tail being the air hose. It would need to have extreme heat conductivity so it would assume the temperature of the skin it was touching, so it did feel hot or suffocating. I see it laying flat against the face with protuberances into the nostrils and mouth. As your face changes shape it would follow the shape change to remain fully in contact. If it could be designed to have a gazillion tiny little suction cups it could possibly work without straps. I see the suction cups operating by a suction pump when is driven by the air being inhaled and exhaled. Sort of an in line turbine to run the pump to keep the mask sucking up tight onto your face.

Edit: Oh, the entire thing would be less than an 1/8" to 1/4" thick.

When I described it to my wife her first thought that was an alien implanting an egg in you when it is clasping to your face - Smile

I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2016 10:29 PM by FrankNichols.)
07-14-2016 10:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
chill Online

Advisory Members

Machine: DreamStation X500
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Walk-in Mask Closet
Humidifier: DreamStation
CPAP Pressure: 13-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CPAP True Believer

Sex: Male

RE: Is 87.5% considered too much for large leaks?
(07-14-2016 06:03 AM)FrankNichols Wrote:  I can play a freaking symphony with it by twitching an eyebrow, moving my lips side to side or puckering them, opening my mouth, closing my mouth, scrunching up my nose, opening and/or closing an eye or both, tensing or relaxing a jaw muscle - with each producing it own unique tone.

I'd very much like to see a Youtube video of that! Too-funny

Have you tried a "CPAP Seal" (Google it)? I have one but only tried it one night. It seemed like it should help, but I was too tired to adjust it and make it work. Sure is sticky!

Maybe what we need is an Octopus Mask!
07-14-2016 11:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [News] ASAA received large supply of donated equipment big_dave 0 94 11-28-2016 11:34 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Is it worth dropping pressure to get over leaks rich2905 19 1,242 11-16-2016 02:38 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
Question CA's, Mask type, and leaks/vent Rcgop 10 360 11-15-2016 03:02 PM
Last Post: robysue
  Leaks (Too high?) sleepytimegal 9 407 11-06-2016 09:58 PM
Last Post: sleepytimegal
  Move alot and getting mask leaks HELP christinaleigh 10 511 11-06-2016 03:15 AM
Last Post: holden4th
Question Woke up without mask on, large red bump on forehead wullybully76 8 555 10-09-2016 12:09 AM
Last Post: Wilson
  No apnea recorded during Large Leaks Roy289 12 509 10-05-2016 02:15 AM
Last Post: beet