Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is 87.5% considered too much for large leaks?
RE: Is 87.5% considered too much for large leaks?
(07-14-2016, 10:01 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: I came across an unpublicized self-funded effort to laser-image your face and then use a 3-D printer to prepare a flexible plastic interface to maximize comfort and minimize leakage. They were experimenting with iPhone face capture software along with some other tech tricks. It seems that one of the problems they were encountering was the slippage of strapping on hair. Haven't heard of any similar efforts -- but someone out there must be working on the issue.

Interesting, I was thinking of some form of a memory foam silicone combination that would be air tight, and conform your resting face shape but would deform as you move your face muscles etc. Sadly the picture that came to mind as I was trying to envision it was a stingray about 5 or 6 inches tall with the tail being the air hose. It would need to have extreme heat conductivity so it would assume the temperature of the skin it was touching, so it did feel hot or suffocating. I see it laying flat against the face with protuberances into the nostrils and mouth. As your face changes shape it would follow the shape change to remain fully in contact. If it could be designed to have a gazillion tiny little suction cups it could possibly work without straps. I see the suction cups operating by a suction pump when is driven by the air being inhaled and exhaled. Sort of an in line turbine to run the pump to keep the mask sucking up tight onto your face.

Edit: Oh, the entire thing would be less than an 1/8" to 1/4" thick.

When I described it to my wife her first thought that was an alien implanting an egg in you when it is clasping to your face - Smile
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is 87.5% considered too much for large leaks?
(07-14-2016, 06:03 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: I can play a freaking symphony with it by twitching an eyebrow, moving my lips side to side or puckering them, opening my mouth, closing my mouth, scrunching up my nose, opening and/or closing an eye or both, tensing or relaxing a jaw muscle - with each producing it own unique tone.

I'd very much like to see a Youtube video of that! Too-funny

Have you tried a "CPAP Seal" (Google it)? I have one but only tried it one night. It seemed like it should help, but I was too tired to adjust it and make it work. Sure is sticky!

Maybe what we need is an Octopus Mask!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 139 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 153 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 497 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 161 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 154 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.