Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is 93% a normal Spo2 while sleeping?
Is 93% a normal Spo2 while sleeping?
I wear a lookee ring oximeter which is very accurate (ran test on other family members while they slept and Spo2 remained around 96-98% throughout the night)

While I sleep, my Spo2 level drops down to 93% regardless of how high I set the EPAP for oxygenation. I tested this out and set my Resmed ASV device to 15 EPAP and my oxygen evels still dropped to 93. Isn't EPAP supposed to increase oxygenation? Is 93% considered normal or that's too low?
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Is 93% a normal Spo2 while sleeping?
While not dangerously low, it's something I'd ask your doc about to identify what's lowering it. This past July, I had pneumonia and oxy was at 92%; they gave me oxy via cannula at 2L/min overnight in hospital setting.

Yes the machine could influence oxygen sat levels, how to manipulate it via controls I don't know yet.
Dave Sparky DukeNukem

I'm not a doctor in real or fictional life. My posts include opinions based upon user experience and researched info regarding CPAP therapy and should not be considered medically professional directions or advice.

Wiki Info for Beginners
OSCAR Chart Organization
Mask Primer
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2019, 04:34 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: While not dangerously low, it's something I'd ask your doc about to identify what's lowering it. This past July, I had pneumonia and oxy was at 92%; they gave me oxy via cannula at 2L/min overnight in hospital setting.

Yes the machine could influence oxygen sat levels, how to manipulate it via controls I don't know yet.

I forgot to add that my baseline O2 levels was at about a 97%. Any idea of what can potentially be causing my levels to drop even with a hug EPAP? The asv doesn't give me the tidal volume that I feel like I need because it's based on minute vent of my own breathing and I feel like this could e a reason why my levels may be dropping. Just an opinion of course
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok Michael,  97% baseline Oxygen when?  If at night we need to dig out what is happening.

93-94% while sleeping I believe is normal,  going with an 96-98% daytime.  Things slow down at night while sleeping.
Fred Bonjour - Project Manager and Lead Tester for OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter 
OSCAR

Download OSCAR
New to Apnea? Helpful tips to ensure success
Soft Cervical Collar
Mask Primer
Dealing with a DME
Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I'd agree with bonjour.

One clarification that I would like to make on my post above which would shine a different light is that my 92% oxy level was that I was awake. My belief is healthy waking oxy should be mid 90's and up.

And I'm not putting out a comparison of you to me, just placing an example of varying oxy levels of wake vs sleep and whether the percent is OK or not.
Dave Sparky DukeNukem

I'm not a doctor in real or fictional life. My posts include opinions based upon user experience and researched info regarding CPAP therapy and should not be considered medically professional directions or advice.

Wiki Info for Beginners
OSCAR Chart Organization
Mask Primer
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2019, 04:52 PM)bonjour Wrote: Ok Michael,  97% baseline Oxygen when?  If at night we need to dig out what is happening.

93-94% while sleeping I believe is normal,  going with an 96-98% daytime.  Things slow down at night while sleeping.

My oxygen level while I'm awake daytime and nighttime is around 96-98% and it dips to about 93% while I'm asleep. Sorry for not providing clarification in my initial post.

I measured my fiance and my son's level while awake and asleep and they both stayed at around 96-99% whether awake or asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Goes to show you that each of us is different. You can always discuss that with your pulmonologist or sleep doctor.
Fred Bonjour - Project Manager and Lead Tester for OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter 
OSCAR

Download OSCAR
New to Apnea? Helpful tips to ensure success
Soft Cervical Collar
Mask Primer
Dealing with a DME
Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Threshold indices / "normal" values Galix 3 87 12-14-2019, 04:55 PM
Last Post: JoeyWallaby
  Has anybody had success with positional therapies to force side sleeping? JoeyWallaby 11 313 12-13-2019, 10:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Normal to feel worse? zooles 19 426 12-09-2019, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  [CPAP] Are these different regions of my flow graph normal? mephamah 3 173 12-03-2019, 03:36 PM
Last Post: mephamah
  My blood pressure seems HIGHER when sleeping on CPAP? Horrux 15 1,477 11-14-2019, 08:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  what is your overnight SPO2 baseline? crave303 7 289 11-08-2019, 01:20 PM
Last Post: WillSleep
  New user. Am I sleeping with the device correctly? andray 44 1,734 10-22-2019, 08:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.