Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is CPAP helping at all?
Is CPAP helping at all?
I just read a thread here about "getting to zero apneas" and it made me wistful. I never see zero. My average is somewhere around 3.0 AHI, with a range of about 1.5 to 6.5 AHI.  Thing is, my sleep study ALSO resulted in an AHI of 6.5. That was over Kaiser Permanente's threshold (which I think was 6.0) so I was diagnosed with OSA and issued a CPAP. But since I still occasionally have days over 6.0 AHI, how can I tell if CPAP therapy is helping at all?  

I didn't feel especially fatigued or daytime-sleepy prior to being diagnosed, though I did have post-lunch crash at work, and noticed that if I went to the movies in the evening, I might doze off. But I'd mainly gone in for the sleep study because my husband had noticed me snoring a lot, and periodically struggling to breathe...  At this point I've been a "hosehead" for 2-1/2 years, and I can't honestly say that anything was changed. I still have post-lunch crash. I still fall asleep during movies. I still have OSA episodes. I still snore.

I have an oximeter and use it occasionally to garner more information.  I've tried it both with and without my CPAP.  I experience oxygen dips whether or not I'm using the CPAP. They are fewer and less severe on nights with CPAP, but still present, at least 15 per night, with O2 dipping as low as 91%. Without the CPAP I may have twice as many episodes, and usually see one or two brief dips below 90%. That's my only indicator that CPAP therapy might be making *some* kind of difference. But if I don't feel better, how valuable is that?

Any thoughts or ideas would be most welcome.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is CPAP helping at all?
It sounds like your machine isn't setup right. If you like you can post a couple of daily charts from sleepyhead and someone will help you out.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
It would be interesting to see some charts, and especially to know what the event makeup is. Your PRS1 60 Series CPAP is limited in what we can do, but I bet we can give you some ideas.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think you are doing to bad, however, there is room for Improvment. Idealy, you should have below 5 but 6 is not that far away.
I think with a few tweets you could get a slight improvement in you results. Even a slight improvement in your results can make a difference to how you feel. If nothing other, you see it lower and this can make you feel better inside.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I normally have anywhere between .5 to 2.0, been as low as 0.3 ...occasionally, i'll have over 2 and it's because my mask leaked on and off throughout the night, at least, that is how it seams...the nights that I fight leaks, i notice my AHI is a lil higher than normal.
A man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy" ~ Pres. John F. Kennedy
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 148 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 177 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Diagnosis] Cpap not helping, what should i do next? shedu1337 3 430 11-14-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  [CPAP] CPAP Not Helping phoen1kx 10 1,007 10-06-2023, 10:56 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  CPAP isn't helping. Do I actually have SDB, and are my PAP settings correct? Sleeper44345 15 1,178 08-20-2023, 08:47 PM
Last Post: jwest
  APAP helping some, but not much... What next? zleeby 2 639 12-02-2022, 09:20 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [CPAP] CPAP doesn't seem to be helping - any suggestions? SevereSnoring 6 1,095 03-14-2022, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.