Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is CPAP machines really that good
Is CPAP machines really that good
Before I start please read this with a bit of tongue in cheek.

A few weeks ago I did a sleep test. After that I went to see the sleep doctor to review my results.

He was very excited as my reading was over 40. Given that when doing the test I was sleeping on my back due to all the wires connected to me I was not surprised, I normally sleep on my side.

A couple of weeks ago I went and did another sleep test where they try out various masks and work out the correct pressure.

I also started using a cpap machine at home the next day.

I have been using the machine for about a week now.

All bar the first night on the machine I have had an ahi of 5 or less and last night I had zero.
Yesterday I saw my sleep Doctor again. He was excited again after reviewing my results. He is happy this time.

So I wonder could the cpap machines actually have such a significant impact or was just my first reading off.

Richard
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
RE: Is CPAP machines really that good
Learn to take "yes" for an answer and accept positive results with grace. In your case, only time will tell.

Make sure you download SleepyHead and look at the details. You will learn more about your machine and yourself.

Congratulations on an outstanding performance -- and may your luck continue.

BTW, why didn't your DME supply you with the newer ResMed AutoSense AutoSet 10 -- a newer and better machine? Since ResMed originates in Australia, one would think it would be a matter of national pride to have their latest machine. (LOL)
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks,
I suspect it is temporary. I thought I was going well the other day and the next day it went up.
Before starting with the machine I had to use two pillows. Part due to breathing and part due to neck injuries.

With the machine I find I go better with 1 pillow. The night it went up I used two, to see if it made a difference.

I am sure there will be some up and downs but hopefully remain good on the whole.

I have sleepyhead but have not tried it yet. I am currently renting a machine so did not want to mess around with their sd card.

I will get my own machine next week so will start using it then.

It was nice to get some good news for a change, so I will definitely accept that.

Thanks again
Richard
Post Reply Post Reply
hi rich2905

Sounds like you are off to a great start. AHI under 5 is considered successful treatment.

After who knows how long of severe sleep apnea, you probably have some catching up to do, but some people feel the difference right away.

How are you feeling?

good luck with your therapy.

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
With a pressure of 15, yes, the CPAP could certainly have had this effect. If you are using CPAP and your AHI is not below five, then something is wrong. That is why we suck hose every night.

It sounds like you are getting great benefit from you therapy. Welcome to Apnea Board and... Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2016, 11:05 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: Learn to take "yes" for an answer and accept positive results with grace.

Smile I love this...
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2016, 11:48 PM)chill Wrote: That is why we suck hose every night.

That paints such a vivid picture in my head! Thanks
Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
To answer how am I feeling.

Not sure, I still feel a bit strange in the morning but reckon that is the mask.

One of the reasons I have got onto this was because for the last 8 months I have been getting dizzy spells. I have had every thing checked out but had not done a sleep test. My doctor had been asking me to do this for years as I do/did have a bad snoring problem. Or at least that is what I am told and meet the other criteria for sleep apnea, not skinny - nice way to say I am fat and over weight.

I have still had the dizzy spells since starting but am going ok today as have been working in the garden most of the time.

I am not expecting immediate changes from the CPap, and see it as a long term benefit despite getting improved AHI figures. Waking up in the morning and checking how I went still has the novelty buzz in it. Once I get into Sleepyhead it will be more interesting I reckon, for awhile.

Any way many thanks for the comments and and a chance the rave on a bit.

All the best to all of you

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Some people feel almost immediate benefit from using a CPAP within the first few days usage.

Others take a bit of time to reap the benefits. Sometimes it's a mismatch in mask, or machine or settings or any of the combinations.

Hang in there, you'll get there... it seems we all do
Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
Do not worry about using the SD Card. The machine will not care and will just keep on pumping. Get your data and look at it. It is good info, will open your eyes to a world of sleep. Once you start to understand SleepyHead you and your machine will fall in love. Okay

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 73 03-27-2024, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 205 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  csa machines cexer 1 78 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 149 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 183 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 808 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 679 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.