Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central's [and exhale relief connection?]
RE: Central's
Clear as mud......I Think!

I'll get some charts up tomorrow as suggested. Oddly, things do settle down over time with regard to frequency of events. Each and every change takes approximately two weeks to find some normalcy.

I went from 9 fixed with Aflex 1 to 8 fixed no Aflex. Central's gone but Obstructive up. I feel better with these settings so for now I'm sticking with them. Aflex of 1 with pressure 9 fixed yielded an EPAP of 7.5 I though for sure 8 fixed would have controlled Obstructive as it was above the 7.5 value but I guess not.

I seem to feel worse when Central's are higher. Is there any intel on this? Is this whole physiology messing with the brain in additional ways beyond just co2? It's odd to me that Obstructive Apnea is not as troublesome to my sleep as Central.

Well at least it's entertaining trying to figure some of this out. Thanks for the help.

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
Have a look at the events stats on the left hand side. If the CA are running longer than 20-30 seconds, say 1 or 2 minutes. You may have an issue at 1 per hour, but I seriously believe this wont be the case.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I think fixed pressure will resolve your issues. Just take your time and move pressure by small increments until the OA events are extinguished or reduced, and watch for re-emergence of centrals. It' a basic titration approach to add a little pressure at a time to achieve the desired outcome and reduce that input of pressure if you go too far.

Glad you're feeling better, and I have no idea why one form of apnea may feel less obtrusive than another, however, you should look at event duration as a possibility.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2018, 06:01 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: jerry1967, I wasn't laughing at you I was laughing with you. The first link Sleeprider posted I looked up and I couldn't spell half the words.

Thanks I don't feel so bad or like a dummy now. lol
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2018, 09:41 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I think fixed pressure will resolve your issues.

If fixed pressure is uncomfortable, try reducing the EPR setting.  For me, reducing the EPR from 3 to 2 markedly reduced my CA's.  

For me, a fixed pressure (effectively EPR = 0) was uncomfortable, making exhalation feel effortful.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to try and get a chart up tonight. I've actually found that I like no Aflex whatsoever! I might be the strange one.....not the first time in life.

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central's [and exhale relief connection?]
When thinking about your data, please bear in mind that the methodologies used by these machines to determine whether you are having a central or an obstructive apnea are not perfect.  They can produce incorrect results.  

I'm not certain, but I suspect you might be better able to tell whether an apnea is central or obstructive by looking at the actual flow data.  For example, I'm finding that most of my apneas are preceded by a larger than normal breath.  It almost looks as if I'm taking in a deep breath and then holding.  But, my machine identifies about 25% of those as obstructive, even though I suspect that they're all central.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 6 165 03-15-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Detection Driving Me Nuts!! Reznik 65 11,483 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: ChristianH
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 15 631 03-08-2024, 02:42 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,727 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
Question [Treatment] Treatment Emergent Central Apnea or Insomnia -- which is it? mallar 1 271 03-02-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mallar
  New to the board: Pre Therapy, suspected Central Apnea MVoltaire 12 446 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: MVoltaire
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 253 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.