Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is CPAP the equivalent of moving 500 feet lower??
Is CPAP the equivalent of moving 500 feet lower??
So, just for fun, I decided to compare how much pressure a CPAP adds compared to the existing atmospheric pressure at various altitudes.

The internet tells me that 

1. At 0 feet above sea level, atmospheric pressure is 1033.3 cm2 of h20.
2. At 500 feet above sea level, atmospheric pressure is 1015 cm2 of h20.
3. At 1000 feet above sea level, atmospheric pressure is 956 cm2 of h20.

I live at about 800 feet above sea level.  But, for simplicity sake, let's just say that I live at 500 feet above sea level.

I use a CPAP at night set to 8cm2 of h20.  That means that I receive the atmospheric pressure (1015) plus the additional pressure from my CPAP (8), for a total of 1023 cm2 of water in atmospheric pressure while I sleep.

Couldn't I accomplish the same thing by moving to a location that was at sea level?  That would get me air pressure equal to 1033.3 cm2 of water, which is 18 cm2 of water more pressure than I get while sleeping at 500 feet of sea level.  That's 10 cm2 of water more than I'm getting now with my CPAP.

Am I missing something here?  If so, what is it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is CPAP the equivalent of moving 500 feet lower??
While lower elevations can help, this is primarily due to the improved O2 saturation. You won't see a difference in <1,000ft of elevation change. 5000ft, maybe improved O2 sat, probably only a minor change in AHI.

CPAP is effective because of the differential pressure between your airway and ambient pressure.
The pressure from the machine basically "inflates" your throat and upper airway.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Not that it matters as Rich pointed out. But another problem with dealing with atmospheric pressure is that it's not a static number. The pressure is in a state of flux which is why you have high pressure and low pressure weather systems.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2018, 12:31 AM)Reznik Wrote: Am I missing something here?  If so, what is it?

G’day Reznik

What CB91710 said. Smile

Cheers

David
Disclaimer: The 'Advisory Member' title is a Forum thing that I cannot change. I am not a doctor and my comments are purely my opinion or quote my personal experience. Regardless of my experience other readers mileage may vary.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nope.

Faulty assumptions that CPAP treatment is about absolute pressure or that the pressure provided by CPAP somehow increases O2 saturation. It doesn't. The only purpose of CPAP is to mechanically keep the throat open so a person can breathe. It treats the throat/airway like a balloon. It inflates it to hold it open.

CPAP works on the differential air pressure in relation to ambient air pressure, not an absolute pressure.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2018, 01:16 AM)CB91710 Wrote: CPAP is effective because of the differential pressure between your airway and ambient pressure.

This, exactly.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's what I thought. Thanks everyone!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 267 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Moving from Dreamstation to Aircurve PartsGuy 9 556 02-22-2024, 10:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How can I lower my AHI? jstro84 26 2,439 01-13-2024, 12:13 PM
Last Post: jstro84
  Advise requested: Should I LOWER my pressure? Aknakon 21 1,117 12-22-2023, 08:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can I lower the pressure? GaspForAir 11 905 12-11-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Moving From RM S9 to Airsense10 -- Great Discomfort hypnos 3 403 11-10-2023, 08:51 AM
Last Post: DaveL
Idea [CPAP] Lower AHI on firmer mattresses? Jeads95 9 608 10-26-2023, 01:58 AM
Last Post: ivorpetkov

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.