Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Interesting mask fit news from Phillips
Interesting mask fit news from Phillips
Because of an interest in following what is going on in the wheelchair industry I subscribe to a mailing list run by one of the DME organizations that covers pretty much everything in the DME world including respiratory things... 

They recently sent a post with a press release from Phillips claiming to have released a new product for DME's that is supposed to help them reduce the amount of trial & error in fitting a mask...  The idea is that it does a 3-D scan of the patient's face and plugs that into a database along with other info like age, race, gender, etc. for a search of masks that 'should' fit....

Sounds like a good idea in theory, although I have heard of other efforts to do fitting of other things w/ 3-D scanning that have had mixed results (One was an MIT student effort to make a system for fitting brassieres - no idea if it was real or an effort by computer geeks to see things they might not otherwise get to.... Bigwink )

One of the claims that makes some sense is that it will give a standard measurement for facial features to help guide sizing choices.  Since it appears that they only do the scan with the patient sitting upright in a chair I don't know how it allows for the changes in face shape that come with lying down, etc... 

It also didn't say whether the product would only suggest Phillips brand masks, or if it would be 'brand agnostic'  It would seem limited if it didn't include every mask in its choices but I can see an effort to promote Phillips masks over others as a choice they could make...

No idea how wide spread it is, or how popular it will be....

Anyone here had it tried on them and can give us a report from the patient side???

ex-Gooserider
Wheelchair using Paraplegic - T5,  Very hairy face, breath via both nose and mouth, so need full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Interesting mask fit news from Phillips
woahhh ive been thinking about this! sounds like a great theory
Post Reply Post Reply
Not to be outdone, ResMed announced a similar digital tool on May 18, 2020.

https://investors.resmed.com/investor-re...fault.aspx
Post Reply Post Reply
Going a step further, with 3D, why not print a cushion that the user knows will fit her profile?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see the Resmed offering as being as interesting as Phillips.  The website and video seem to say that they will only suggest Resmed brand masks with their tool, so it's limited...  It also seems to be doing little more than having the patient do the same sort of measuring and questions that the DME would do in a live visit...  It seems good in helping reduce the need for in person contact w/ associated COVID risks, but doesn't do anything other than what the DME's and sleep study techs have been doing for years - a few questions, maybe some measurements and then try stuff...  Arguably it is worse since it takes whatever experience the fitter might have with eyeballing face types out of the equation...

OTOH, the Phillips system is (potentially at least, or so it claims) doing far more detailed / sophisticated measuring and use of anatomical data to come up with it's suggestions.  However it still requires the in person visit...

I have seen a lot of 3D printing technologies and am not at all expecting to see 3-D printed masks any time soon.  IMHO while there are things that 3D printing is very good for, the tech has a lot of limitations such that there is more hype than reality behind what they try to make us think it is capable of...  The layered construction of a 3D printed object results in something that is very hard to clean / sterilize so it's less than ideal for most medical use.  Also I have never seen any 3D printing tech that can produce the sort of soft flexible silicone rubber membranes that we see as the sealing surfaces on modern masks (It is a chemically set resin / catalyst compound, not a thermal compound)

ex-Gooserider
Wheelchair using Paraplegic - T5,  Very hairy face, breath via both nose and mouth, so need full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think what they are doing is taking the measurements that are used for the Mask Fitting guides, running them through the computer 'matching' these simple measurements to the 'mask guide and walla, this mask fits you!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 131 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 207 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Just given a Phillips Dreamstation 2 the same day Phillips agrees to stop selling Montacute 39 1,470 02-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry [Equipment] MORE PHILLIPS ISSUES srlevine1 3 706 02-01-2024, 12:28 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Phillips update. Big Guy 0 272 01-29-2024, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  An interesting-ish video about mouth taping PaulaO2 0 365 01-08-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Phillips Recall Question... jonesresidence 9 613 01-08-2024, 05:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.