Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is Everyone Using a Humidifier?
RE: Is Everyone Using a Humidifier?
(08-19-2014, 01:20 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: ... so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt
A pinch of salt makes food taste better and sweater
Worth your salt is a compliment

Worth one's salt means worth one's weight in gold Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, I'm new here and would like some advice. I ALWAYS use my humidifier and in fact, need even more humidity than it provides, for the air pressure I need. I'm thinking about a stand alone unit, an HC150? Can I use that with my Resmed S9 that has a humidifier? Should I disconnect the Resmed humdifier and just use the stand alone or should I use them both at the same time? Is that possible?
Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2014, 01:46 PM)Terry Wrote:
(08-19-2014, 01:00 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Example?

I need my heated humidifier! It holds about a pint of water, and I run it dry every night. I get nose bleeds, and sneeze all day if it is set wrong.

If you're running out of water, chances are really good you have a big air leak.

Not necessarily. I was using the same machine as Peter and even after I got all of my leak problems under control, if I slept a full 8 hours at a setting of 6, I would run out of water. I would have to dial my humidifier back a notch or 2 for 8 hours of sleep.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2014, 04:24 PM)Wendee Wrote: Hello, I'm new here and would like some advice. I ALWAYS use my humidifier and in fact, need even more humidity than it provides, for the air pressure I need. I'm thinking about a stand alone unit, an HC150? Can I use that with my Resmed S9 that has a humidifier? Should I disconnect the Resmed humdifier and just use the stand alone or should I use them both at the same time? Is that possible?
Thinking-about

Well, if you are using the climateline hose with your S9, that won't work with the stand alone unit. Otherwise the HC150 looks like a good option for those of us needing additional water capacity and can afford the additional expense.

BTW, Welcome
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll chime in on this thread with an issue I'm having that seemingly has not came up in the thread. I live in Central Florida with high humidity and on CPAP close to 10 years now. At first I used a humidifier extensively and about 5 years ago the heater would stop working intermittently until finely it went kaput. So I just became use to no humidifier and was happy not to deal with water and chambers etc. and liked not using it as well.
However I've had some real long term issues with dry mouth all due to CPAP. This lead to rapid tooth decay as discussed with my dentist. He was trying to figure it out till I said "CPAP". Its something you don't notice untill over a long period of time. The dryness disrupts the normal flow of salvia which carries off harmful bacteria thus leading to lots of dental issues.(yes I practice good dental hygiene)
I bought a new machine and hopefully this will fix my problems. I tested with out CPAP to see and sure enough with it out I awoke with no dryness.
Something to consider for those who are having some dental issues or deciding not to use a humidifier!
Post Reply Post Reply
I use my humidifier with heated hose constantly! It is summer and I thought I wouldn't need the heated hose, but I get more humidity that way.
If I don't get enough humidify, my mouth is dry and have nose bleeds.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm glad to find out that the hc150 will work with my brother's new bipap. I fill it every night but even on the 3 setting (factory default) it is empty in the am, so he's running out at night. He can't fill it himself, so this will help.

Funny about the mention of the dentist. I told my dentist that I was getting a Cpap and he turns out to already be a cpap user. Yes, and he told me to be sure about using some humidity because of the dry mouth/teeth issue.

All sorts of male cpappers have come out of the closet and so far, all but 1 take their humidifiers when they travel. He only does overnights, and just sticks his cpap into his suitcase.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also if using tap/filtered vs. distilled water I've found distilled water runs cooler i.e. will not run out leaving an empty chamber the next morn. Distilled seems to provide less rain out as well. I'm sure a lot factors play into that but for me it played a big part. I also use a non heated hose though. Regular water even when filtered has minerals and such that heats up more as compared to distilled.
Post Reply Post Reply
no humidifier or too low of a setting = can't sleep for the coughing. Running out of water while already sleeping = massive sinus headache. No humidifier? no thanks! I do not think I could have been successful on cpap in the pre-humidifier days.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
No... Often inthe summer I do not. And NEVER use one on the road. Or if I have to go off battery. I think they are for the most part redundant. I don't think the air from the CPAP is any drier than the air in the room RH wise. Ever. I will use it in the winter.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 353 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,161 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 320 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 787 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 514 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.