Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is Everyone Using a Humidifier?
RE: Is Everyone Using a Humidifier?
I hate breathing warm air and rarely turn on my humidifier even-though I do keep water in it. Here in the high desert we have a very dry climate and I've awoke quite parched if my tank has gone dry. The few times I have turned on my humidifier felt like I was breathing thick uncomfortable air, but I did notice a difference in the way my mouth and throat felt. I have a deviated septum and probably need a Terbinate Reduction and fortunately my docs have usually advised against it. I keep my room cold and have a fan blowing year round. The fan keeps things cool and provides a nice white noise a habit formed by years of working rotating shifts.
Post Reply Post Reply
The most I've not used a humidifier was during the assessment period during my original diagnosis five years ago. I was given an Rx for a BiPAP with heated humidifier.

Last year, I was given a CPAP without a humidifier. I tried it one night and immediately bought a humidifier for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't imagine not using the humidifier in the winter when it's subzero and petting the cat produces a big static discharge if I don't have a pot boiling on the stove. I just leave my ResMed AirSense 10 climate control on AUTO and let it figure it out. On the boat, it's humid enough that I don't use it to preserve battery life. I just put water in the tank.
Post Reply Post Reply
Every night, I turn on warm-up, and rock the heated hose and humidifier on auto setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2014, 06:36 AM)JimZZZ Wrote: I wonder why I need a humidifier and all the associated fuss.Thinking-about

The humidity in my house is about 50% (35% in winter) and I never experienced a dried out nose or mouth before PAP. My humidifier is set on 1 and uses almost no water on a given night. So I'm thinking of removing the humidifier to find out whether I notice any difference. I like it simple...

Anyone not using a humidifier?

I try not to use the humidifier because the air is to hot and muggy for my liking. I do use it passively by putting water in it and allowing the air to pick up some of the water. It helps a little.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am still new to CPAP, only two weeks in. I am a mouth breather and have always had a problem with a dry mouth. The CPAP with low humidifier settings made it worse. When I increase the humidity setting enough to make my mouth is comfortable, I end up getting rained on before morning. I initially tried a longer hose. That appeared to work well for two nights. On the third evening, I experienced a gurgling sensation in the air flow when I turned the machine on. I thought I had filled the tank too high. I poured some of the water out, but still experienced gurgling. Upon further inspection, I found that water had condensed on a low hanging section of the 10' hose. I emptied the hose and then slept the night at a reduced humidity setting. The only way I can prevent rain out is at a setting of two or three out of eight. I am going to pick up a heated hose tomorrow. Hopefully that will take care of the rain problem and reduce my dry mouth issues.

Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2015, 04:54 PM)foss Wrote: I am still new to CPAP, only two weeks in. I am a mouth breather and have always had a problem with a dry mouth. The CPAP with low humidifier settings made it worse. When I increase the humidity setting enough to make my mouth is comfortable, I end up getting rained on before morning.

Get the heated hose, Jeff. It's an option available for your machine. It will solve your problem.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 763 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 353 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,160 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 319 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 786 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 514 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.