Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is Everyone Using a Humidifier?
RE: Is Everyone Using a Humidifier?
I used the humidifier on my ResMed S8 set at 6 during the week and 5 on the weekends when I sleep a little longer. Used almost a full tub of water every night. With my new S9 I decided to try it at the factory default setting. I am using it at 3 and getting good results.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't always use my humidifier. Most of the time I have water in it and set to 0. I just let the air blow across the water and pick up what moisture it can. I find I don't have any issues with dry sinuses and dry mouth. When it get colder, I do bump it up to 1 from time to time.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2014, 06:36 AM)JimZZZ Wrote: I wonder why I need a humidifier and all the associated fuss.
The humidity in my house is about 50% (35% in winter) and I never experienced a dried out nose or mouth before PAP. My humidifier is set on 1 and uses almost no water on a given night. So I'm thinking of removing the humidifier to find out whether I notice any difference. I like it simple...
Anyone not using a humidifier?
The first CPAP machines didn't have a humidifier at all, & no provision for one. My first was a Sullivan which I used for several years. It had no humidifier & I lived in Roma Qld, where relative humidity in Summer is between 6 & 8%. Later machines had a humidifier which was thought necessary because of the drying out of nasal tissues which could crack and bleed, but I suffered no ill effects what ever from years of sleeping without one. My brother in Darwin doesn't use the humidifier on his S9 because of the high relative humidity there. So my comment would be: yes in area of low humidity, no in high humidity areas.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
I used it a few times in 2001 but haven't since.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have to use my humidifier. Even with my H5i set at 5 I still wake up with a dry mouth with a full face mask. I have a f&p nasal mask that I am considering trying out, but I tried them at first with no luck before my ffm. If I put my humidity at max I get rainout because I use a regular slimline hose. I guess on an individual basis the humidifier is really a comfort thing. Based on my reading, some find they don't need it at all, and others can't go without it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2014, 08:57 PM)Canadian_Jesus Wrote: I have to use my humidifier. Even with my H5i set at 5 I still wake up with a dry mouth with a full face mask. I have a f&p nasal mask that I am considering trying out, but I tried them at first with no luck before my ffm. If I put my humidity at max I get rainout because I use a regular slimline hose. I guess on an individual basis the humidifier is really a comfort thing. Based on my reading, some find they don't need it at all, and others can't go without it.
Hi CJ, I guess it all depends on where you live, but I tend to think your dry mouth is not due to lack of humidity in the PAP air. It's more likely the result of mouth breathing, or therapy air exhausting orally, either or both.
A nasal mask would be worse for you. Check your leak rate, its bound to be high. Reduce this and your humidifier setting and you should see a big improvement in dry mouth & rain-out.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2014, 09:28 AM)JimZZZ Wrote: So...I will try sleeping without the humidifier (I must tweak) and report on my experience. Unless...I end up as a crispy zombie.
Reporting as promised. For me, the absence of the humidifier had no ill effect. Upon awakening, my mouth is pasty as usual and my nasal passages seem normal. Perhaps this will change during the home heating season but for now, I see no need for a humidifier.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2014, 06:36 AM)JimZZZ Wrote: Anyone not using a humidifier?
Yes including SuperSleeper does not use humidifier but for me CPAP is not doable without humidifier
Now the humidifier is on pre-warming and bed is calling
Goodnight
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not using my humidifier because it's plenty humid around here. In the winter I'm sure I'll have to use it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used CPAP without the humidifier for the first two months because I didn't notice any difference with or without it. Then, my sinuses went crazy in June 2012 when the weather changed. (Eugene has dry summers despite Oregon's reputation for being cold and damp.) After three weeks of misery, I tried the humidifier again, clearing up my sinuses. I've been using the humidifier every night since then.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 771 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 354 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,161 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 323 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 789 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 517 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.