Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is Everyone Using a Humidifier?
RE: Is Everyone Using a Humidifier?
I spent some time in Roseburg, OR many years ago and it has dry summers too.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
My Plumologists (sp) told me I did not have to, so tried it, and feel great not using especially here in the summer where we are humid anyway,but this coming winter, I may go back. Have mine at 1.5.Smile
"Keep on a keeping on" Riki
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes this is my take also... actually I don't use much of the features of any machine. I don't use the humidifier, I don't use the ramp either. I put on the mask, turn it on..... pass out. Simple.

(08-17-2014, 09:18 AM)cant_sleep_in_nj Wrote: never used a humidifier, never understood the need

Post Reply Post Reply
No humidifier means dried out sinus cavities and the likelihood of a major nose bleed. Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes and no... I use it most of the time although I do go without when I am running on battery in my caravan.
Disclaimer: The 'Advisory Member' title is a Forum thing that I cannot change. I am not a doctor and my comments are purely my opinion or quote my personal experience. Regardless of my experience other readers mileage may vary.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2014, 06:42 AM)Moriarty Wrote: Yes and no... I use it most of the time although I do go without when I am running on battery in my caravan.

Not a lot of choice there, mate. You'd use 3X more Amp-hr capacity from your battery with the humidifier.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Example?

I need my heated humidifier! It holds about a pint of water, and I run it dry every night. I get nose bleeds, and sneeze all day if it is set wrong.

That said, my wife not only doesn't bother adding water to hers, we took the humidifier completely off hers 4 months ago and she's never looked back. Everyone is different, and what works for one may not work for another. What works best for you is what counts.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
And people with lung disease often go to drier climates for relief. I have emphysema and excessively humid air (over 70% R.H.) is a known enemy. Humid air doesn't hold as much O2 as dry air (per unit volume) and those with marginal lung capacity will quickly notice the difference. I have never used my humidifier and never have had it attached since it needlessly adds static pressure to the flow generator. I have been through a winter yet so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2014, 01:20 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: ....so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt

Too much salt can cause weight gain. Not good for emphysemiacs.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2014, 01:00 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Example?

I need my heated humidifier! It holds about a pint of water, and I run it dry every night. I get nose bleeds, and sneeze all day if it is set wrong.

If you're running out of water, chances are really good you have a big air leak.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 759 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 353 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,160 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 319 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 786 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 514 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.