Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is It Just Me That Thinks The Pilairo Q Is Best?
RE: Is It Just Me That Thinks The Pilairo Q Is Best?
(05-19-2015, 09:18 AM)player Wrote: The Pilairo has a diffuser that makes the exhaust very gentle.

I've used the Pilaro Q mask. The first thing I noticed was that the exhaust was so quiet that I had to reach up to make sure that air was coming out.

The exhaust port is fitted with a small white filter (diffuser) which is optional.
The Pilaro Q is a very nice mask, even though I still reach for my P10. Wink
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2015, 07:19 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Some have said the cult-like followers of the P10 have formed their own religion. We might have to do some de-programming here. Bag-head

I have enough room on my FLASH file system to dual boot either the P10 program or the Fisher & Paykel Pilairo Q program. I already deleted the Wisp program that came with my original machine.

I don't have any issues with the P10 so I've never felt the need to experiment with the alternatives. My DME just shipped me a spare P10 kit that my health insurance covered 100% so I'm in no hurry to change horses.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2015, 01:53 AM)player Wrote: The P10 has 2 stiff vents that go into the nostrils. The Pilairo has the 2 vents, but they are quite soft and flexible. PLUS the Pliairo has a soft inflatable sack that fills up and seals around the nose.

So while the P10 relies on the rigidity of the 2 nasal ports and pressure forcing them into the nose to make the seal, the Pilairo has a soft air sack around the nasal entrance to gently seal the nasal passages. The Pilairo does not require any real force to hold the seal, so it needs very little head strapping. It has a single, one size fits all elastic strap. (it also comes with a small adjustable strap but I have never needed it.

Hey Player, are you sure you're talking about the P10? I just took down my bucket of 30 or 40 pillows mask, and not a one of them have "2 stiff vents that go into the nostrils." They're nice and soft pillows, which could be why the call it a pillows mask, very much like the Pilairo pillows I suspect.

I'll stick with my original conclusion that both are fine masks. ..and that anytime someone can use one of these masks instead of a face sucking (sorry guys, can't resist) FFM, then their world will be a happier place.

As to the "ripping your skin out" when take them off -------- I don't think so! Not me, boy howdy......... Not going there. Not even once. If a mask, any mask, did that to me it would find itself banished to Mr. trash can.

Post Reply Post Reply

RG you are a hoot. I always get humor mixed with knowledge from your sarcasm, (er. pearls of wisdom).

As to masks, I like my F&P Opus 360 for it's swivel as the hose goes between my eyes and over the headboard. But I am open to suggestions.

I have a tendency of rolling from one side to the other and the Opus pulls off a bit. Enough to wake me up at times to readjust. (Though I fall back to sleep fast). I feel I can tweak my AHI numbers by changing masks.

I have tried the Swift FX. It was a good (free) first try. It was much worse in the pulling off department than the Opus. I also tried an old FFM, (YUCK).

I am planning on making an appointment with my DME for my 6 month new mask in July.

Come on all takers to the new challenge... An sarcasm is appreciated. ;-)

RAH
Post Reply Post Reply
You could try a P10. I don't know if it'll stay put any better than the Opus, but I change positions frequently during the night and the P10 behaves fine. Actually my ability to flop around at night is one of the happy things about cpap therapy for me. I used to be relegated to (trying) to sleep in a very fixed state on my left side. My hip and back were not happy campers at all about that. Now -- back, side, head, whatever and I'm good to go with no pain in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2015, 03:51 PM)retired_guy Wrote: You could try a P10. I don't know if it'll stay put any better than the Opus, but I change positions frequently during the night and the P10 behaves fine. Actually my ability to flop around at night is one of the happy things about cpap therapy for me. I used to be relegated to (trying) to sleep in a very fixed state on my left side. My hip and back were not happy campers at all about that. Now -- back, side, head, whatever and I'm good to go with no pain in the morning.

RG/All,

Right after I saw your post, I took the challenge, (for several reasons), and walked into a local DME provider. I was there to compare both the Pilario Q and the P10. Not to buy one.

After two minutes I was so impressed with the P10 that I outright bought the P10 AirFit over the Pilario Q (Looks to be about twice the size of the P10). I would have knocked the Pilario Q off in my sleep in a nano second.

I am TRULY impressed. Major improvement in my AHI and comfort. I sleep noticeably better. Remember I have and until I got the P10, used an F&P Opus 360, (small nasal pillow mask with swivel). It's only slightly bigger than the P10.

The P10 mask is all that you all advertised and better.

All this happened because my ORIGINAL DME made so many billing mistakes, medical mistakes, and almost killed me with a BiPap machine. The NEW DME made me feel so much better about dealing with them over my current DME.

My 6 month is in a few weeks and I will be getting another P10 from the new DME (assuming they move my liability over to the new DME by then).

More details in another post. Thank you all for all of your support and encouragement. I have learned a WHOLE lot.

RAH

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2015, 02:36 PM)rhandel Wrote:
(05-19-2015, 03:51 PM)retired_guy Wrote: You could try a P10.

RG/All,

Right after I saw your post, I took the challenge, (for several reasons), and walked into a local DME provider. I was there to compare both the Pilario Q and the P10. Not to buy one.

After two minutes I was so impressed with the P10 that I outright bought the P10 AirFit over the Pilario Q (Looks to be about twice the size of the P10). I would have knocked the Pilario Q off in my sleep in a nano second.

I am TRULY impressed. Major improvement in my AHI and comfort. I sleep noticeably better. Remember I have and until I got the P10, used an F&P Opus 360, (small nasal pillow mask with swivel). It's only slightly bigger than the P10.

The P10 mask is all that you all advertised and better.

All this happened because my ORIGINAL DME made so many billing mistakes, medical mistakes, and almost killed me with a BiPap machine. The NEW DME made me feel so much better about dealing with them over my current DME.

My 6 month is in a few weeks and I will be getting another P10 from the new DME (assuming they move my liability over to the new DME by then).

More details in another post. Thank you all for all of your support and encouragement. I have learned a WHOLE lot.

RAH

.....and yet another convert. Sooner or later everyone (yada, yada, yada,,,)............ Resistance is futile.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK so my Pilairo started leaking at the mask/hose knuckle, and then the pillow blew a hole in it. I have a new P10 and I started using it. Although not quite as comfortable as the Pilairo, it is smaller, less intrusive, the hose outlet from the mask is small, the hose is longer, and I am going to use the P10 from now on. I am sending back the Pilairo to the .com store for a warranty evaluation.

So for now I am using the P10 and very happy with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2015, 08:30 PM)player Wrote: So for now I am using the P10 and very happy with it.

I found when I went to the size that fit me, the pillows didn't go into my nostrils too deep.
Didn't need the Lanolin but I had sore nostrils upon removal in the mornings, only hurt for a few seconds if I kept my fingers off. After a week the nose toughened up.

It hasn't made my nostrils noticeably bigger. BigwinkGrin
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2015, 09:37 PM)Napmeister Wrote:
(06-05-2015, 08:30 PM)player Wrote: So for now I am using the P10 and very happy with it.

I found when I went to the size that fit me, the pillows didn't go into my nostrils too deep.
Didn't need the Lanolin but I had sore nostrils upon removal in the mornings, only hurt for a few seconds if I kept my fingers off. After a week the nose toughened up.

It hasn't made my nostrils noticeably bigger. BigwinkGrin

Player/Napmeister,

I found that I need to use a size SMALLER than I had used with my two other nasal pillow masks. The seal on the P10 is REALLY good so it works much better than I thought. I was concerned that the move from large to medium would block air draw, but not so. The design is really different and is way better at air flow than the F&P Opus 360 or the Swift FX.

Two really innovative things about the nasal pillow of the P10 are the double wall on the pillows themselves, and the rigid snap in design. Really interesting and effective. The lack of a swivel is a bonus. Lower leak rate.

RAH

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,025 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  My Baby Thinks He’s a Train Wcwilson 3 1,771 10-22-2020, 08:57 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Berserk! My pillow thinks my headgear is an alien HalfAsleep 15 2,678 10-23-2017, 11:49 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Pilairo Q - has any tried it? pollyottis 4 1,365 07-13-2017, 05:04 PM
Last Post: silversnore
  Anyone Glue The Pilairo Mask Pillow On? player 7 3,597 10-12-2016, 11:00 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Pilairo Q Pillow masks Zocane 7 2,175 09-12-2016, 04:34 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Need help with Pilairo Q mask PaytonA 10 3,557 09-22-2015, 08:52 PM
Last Post: PaytonA

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.