Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is My CPAP a new machine?
RE: Is My CPAP a new machine?
(10-17-2013, 09:31 AM)skyler Wrote: May I remove my foot from my mouth, please?

Not necessary to remove your foot from your mouth as your reply was very helpful and a very good reminder to be respectful to RT's and the rest of the world even if they p*** us off!!

Thank you again!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2013, 08:07 AM)Bobshouse Wrote: Your machine was "newer" than mine when I first got it. Mine had 138 hours on it.

I don't know how many hours they put on the machines testing/working on the motors.

What version of the firmware do you have?

Firmware 0907

I was told that usage is when the machine is on and the mask is on.

Run time is when the machine is on but not actually being used. They even went so far as to say that if there is a large leak, it would show run time and not usage which absolutely makes no sense to me because when leaks happen, the machine is usually on with the mask on our face (operative word is usually)!

Have a great day. I need to hit the road!
Post Reply Post Reply
My general thoughts on the topic of a 'used' machine being sold as 'new'?

Many people need to try something out to see if it will work for them, and if it doesn't, they want to be able to return it. If every machine with 5 to 90 hours on it had to be sold at a reduced price as *used*, the DMEs would go out of business. Or, they would refuse to allow any returns for any reason, making us deal direct with the machine maker. Since we all want the comfort of knowing that we have 30 days to return a machine if for some reason we dislike it, someone else needs to be willing to take it as *new* even though it has been used by someone else for a number of hours.

Personally, my *new* machine came with +100 hours on it, but it was clean, non-marked in any way, and I was assured that if I had any issues I would be taken care of - a fair trade in my book.

If 'Resmed' were willing to sell machines direct to the public, I assume that it would be cash and carry - return for defects only, just like it is with most of the online sellers. You can't get that extra security of the 30 day 'test/trial' and return if not happy - without something on the other end - does this make sense?

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I got my S8 VPAP S in August 2009; and I recall it had some hours on it.
Today, it has 10699 hours on it.
I'm on US Medicare; and I believe I was not given the latest machine due to the low payment over 13 months Medicare pays the DME. I do believe mine was "reconditioned."
Trying to read data out of this machine has proven that I need an S9 version.
I'm going to get an Rx from my doc; then get a price from the supplier list -- I'll then negotiated with my present DME for a cash price.
I have in mind, $1600 USD for an S9 VPAP S with humidifier and washable tank.

Sleep well my CPAP friends,
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You know, I am really frustrated now. As I said earlier this week, I drove 16 miles one way to get my SD card downloaded only to find out they retrieved the data b/c I had a wireless modem.

So my trip wouldn't be wasted, I ordered a mask that day. When I got home from the doctor's office, it was on my front porch but what I ordered, I did not receive. Then, I called the DME and was given a choice of them bringing me a cushion they had inhouse (that we are not allowed to try on b/c they don't have the capability to clean them if we don't like it) OR drive 32 miles round trip to bring it back. I said I prefer them to ship the correct mask out and she said they cannot do that until I return the one I got and that it is my responsibility to contact the shipper or the delivery company to pick it up and once it is confirmed they received it, they will ship out the one I ordered. Also, I was told when I was in the office Tuesday that it came with all 4 sizes but today I was told that it only comes with one size of a cushion. How many mistakes can be made? I know it isn't just me that all the mistakes are made on!!

I say it is time for a drink!! Problem is, I don't drink lol

Anyone else get an Amara ffm gel? Did you get 4 cushions or only 1 cushion?

Thanks for your help and for listening!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2013, 01:38 PM)me50 Wrote: You know, I am really frustrated now. As I said earlier this week, I drove 16 miles one way to get my SD card downloaded only to find out they retrieved the data b/c I had a wireless modem.

I know I'm hijacking this thread...
These machine are wifi capable??? How would you not know it's connected to your wifi. I hope you're not running an open wifi.
or do you live in one of the few cities with open wifi?

I run WPA2 TKIP-AES encryption plus a MAC filter to prevent intrusion.
I would have to specifically enable a device to access my wifi.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2013, 02:29 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(10-17-2013, 01:38 PM)me50 Wrote: You know, I am really frustrated now. As I said earlier this week, I drove 16 miles one way to get my SD card downloaded only to find out they retrieved the data b/c I had a wireless modem.

These machine are wifi capable??? How would you not know it's connected to your wifi. I hope you're not running an open wifi.

JustMongo,

The machine is not wifi compatible. It does have a modem (remember dial-up access to the internet Shock ) that can be used to transmit data to your doctor and/or your DME. Most of the time, this is only used to verify compliance.

Hope that helps.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2013, 08:00 AM)me50 Wrote: I was looking at the usage on my CPAP that I got on September 10.

It shows I used the machine for 308.8 hours but the run time is 399 hours.
Hi me50
From the manual: Run hours
Displays the total number of hours the device has been used including warm-up and cool-down times for the humidifier.
It is not affected by the period selected. This is the only data item that is not reset when data is erased.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2013, 02:29 PM)justMongo Wrote:

Last week, they brought out a wireless modem. I do NOT have wifi at my home. The RT told me that the modem would only be able to pick up the data from the time I put the modem on the machine and forward but nothing prior to the modem being hooked to my machine. Therefore, I had to bring my SD card to the office. When I got there, they had already retrieved the data from the first day I got the machine to the date I was in the office. Nobody bothered to tell me that they retrieved the data and tell me it wasn't necessary for me to come.
Post Reply Post Reply
me50 -- I understand.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,269 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 224 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 150 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 187 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 402 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 843 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 259 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.