Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is My High Resp Rate from a Sleepyhead Virus?
Is My High Resp Rate from a Sleepyhead Virus?
My 90 day average: AHI 11.8, OI 3.5, CA 4.8  and my Resp. Rate is 28. My health provider queried Respironics about this high Resp Rate. They replied that since I downloaded the information from the SD card using Sleepyhead software, I may have infected the SD card and the CPAP machine with a virus. Now is this possible, since I made sure to put the card in "Write Protect" before I uploaded the info to Sleepyhead? This is my first "post" not sure if I am doing this right.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleepyhead software
(06-01-2018, 03:28 PM)Richard C Wrote: My 90 day average: AHI 11.8, OI 3.5, CA 4.8  and my Resp. Rate is 28. My health provider queried Respironics about this high Resp Rate. They replied that since I downloaded the information from the SD card using Sleepyhead software, I may have infected the SD card and the CPAP machine with a virus. Now is this possible, since I made sure to put the card in "Write Protect" before I uploaded the info to Sleepyhead? This is my first "post" not sure if I am doing this right.

Hi Richard. I am not aware of any means by which the use of Sleepyhead could cause a virus infection of the machine. It has never happened to our knowledge, and the only software that creates files that are "read" by the Dreamstation machine is EncorePro prescription data or firmware which can be transmitted by the SD card.  CPAP machines are not a very useful target for spammers, and even if one was infected, it would not influence your respiration rate.  Your CPAP has no ability to affect the resp rate because it is just a CPAP.

I suspect that there is actually nothing wrong, and your breathing pattern is one that is commonly misinterpreted by Philips CPAPs.  What happens is some people have a "bump" in the respiratory flow, usually during the exhale cycle, and that is read by the machine as an extra breaths.  The irregularity is just an artifact of your respiration, and we can help you to understand it and recognize it.  

I'm going to have your post moved to a new thread so we can discuss it.  What I'd like to see is a Sleepyhead chart formatted like the Organizing Your Sleepyhead Chart tutorial in my signature.  That article also discusses how to do a zoomed in view of the Flow Rate graph, and we need you to do that so we can see what is going on.  Post a reply with your chart, and I'll explain exactly what we need.

Welcome to the forum.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleepyhead software
BULL FEATHERS!    Make them prove it.  There is NO way that can happen. Anyway, why would someone take the time to write a virus for a CPAP that doesn't contain any information that would be of monetary value?  Are they implying that their machine is so insecure that it is vulnerable to an attack?

OH! Where are my manners? . . . Welcome
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is My High Resp Rate from a Sleepyhead Virus?
Hi Richard - I agree with the replies above.  No way that SleepyHead introduced a virus to your CPAP machine.  That's absurd and it's likely the health care provider is simply trying to use scare tactics so that you'll have to rely upon their sole interpretation of your CPAP data. 

Regarding your SleepyHead charts, when you post them as Sleeprider suggested, please start a new thread in the Main Forum since chart and data interpretation goes in that forum, rather than here in the Software Support Forum.

Thanks  and good luck with your ongoing therapy!
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your quick reply. I will do my homework and get back to you Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Attached is a screenshot of my graph charts,I hope it is what you requested
Post Reply Post Reply
Richard, excellent graph! You have mixed or complex apnea. If central apnea was not a feature of your diagnostic sleep test, then it could be you have CPAP induced complex apnea. CPAP does not treat central apena, but many people experience a reduction in central events as they adapt to CPAP pressure, while others find they do not tolerate the CPAP therapy and must move on to a more advanced technology called an Adaptive Servo Ventilator (ASV) which uses pressure support to simultaneously prevent obstructive apnea and provide backup breaths during central events.

Your median respiration rate is 27.8 and the 95% is nearly 40 breaths per minute. The last individual I saw on the forum with this pattern was "Hojo" who currently uses an ASV. He had very uneven respiration and a resp rate that often approached 50 BPM. Here is a link to one of his threads before ASV if you're interested. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...mendations

We can get to the bottom of your resp rate using a closeup of the flow rate graph. The method to zoom in and setup a detailed flow rate graph is detailed here http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._Fun_Stuff If you can zoom into a section of the graph that is about 2-minutes in length the wave-form for the flow rate will become very clear. Post that, and we can discuss what is going on. You can choose a section where your respiration rate is higher frequency or just choose a random part of the graph. It should not make much difference. In addition if you have a summary breakdown of your sleep study, especially whether central apnea was a component, that would be useful information.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a zoomed in shot of my flow rate
Post Reply Post Reply
Perfect, and it does show that your resp rate is high. I counted 15-breaths in the 20 seconds between 00:52:30 and 00:52:50, so that would be 45 BPM in that segment. We also see four missed breaths or "lack of signal" in that short segment Your complaints are true, and while the CPAP does not time your breaths, your respiration rate is high, and there is considerable instability and inconsistency in flow rate. The best description of this breathing rate is "panting", and hopefully it is not typical of most of your night. We're getting a lot closer to central or complex apnea symptoms here. One thing we can say for certain; your machine does not have a virus. It is correctly reporting your breathing rate. The take-away is you may need to follow-up with your doctor for your hyperventilation or complex apnea.

What were the results of your sleep study? Did you ever have a titration study?

Could you do a similar close-up of the central apnea cluster at 01:20 or the OA cluster at 03:10?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
LMy first study June 06 2017 Alice NightOne: AHI 14.9, OAI 3.6, Mixed .1, Hypopnea 11.2, Lowest desat 89 Central 0. I started a 2 week titration period Jan 11 2018 and a CPAP was lent to me for 3 months as a trial, it was set to a fixed 7.5 after titration.
My second study was a overnight stay at  a sleep laboratory in a hospital who specializes in heart and lung. Preliminary results AHI 15 and no central. Awaiting a call for another overnight stay for a titration on a Auto CPAP and settings on my own CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar question - flow rate graph not showing kkjacks 7 116 03-23-2024, 11:12 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  Flow Rate and Mask pressure missing BuzzaJim 9 531 01-30-2024, 03:55 PM
Last Post: BuzzaJim
  First OSCAR Report - Leak Rate jfkaess 11 1,686 11-11-2023, 05:15 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  [Feature Request] Flow Rate graph to Audio File? omonoiatis9 1 548 05-05-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: DavidEsp
Question OSCAR Oximetry Pulse Rate Events - In Excessive Amounts (?) DavidEsp 4 863 02-17-2023, 06:11 PM
Last Post: DavidEsp
  pulse rate changes = 0 ovmeadows 0 317 02-01-2023, 01:49 PM
Last Post: ovmeadows
  OSCAR Has Stopped Importing Flow Rate Data LittleBoSleep 10 1,135 07-12-2021, 12:00 PM
Last Post: LittleBoSleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.