Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is OSCAR worth it for me? (New User)
Is OSCAR worth it for me? (New User)
Hi, my AHI during in-lab study late August 2019 was 109.6, and I started using CPAP AirSense 10 AutoSet with AirFit P10 around the beginning of October.

The only software I've been using so far is myAir, which I realize provides limited data/insights.

My AHI average for the past 50 days is 1.40 and trending slightly down to around 1.20 now for the past 20 days.  I'm truly feeling better & better with each passing day!

I've considered loading OSCAR, but I have an older version of Mac OS X Mavericks.  So I'd have to upgrade the OS.  It seems like APPLE is trying very hard to get everyone on OS Catalina, which will render all my older 32-bit apps useless (i.e., my MS-Office suite). I tried going just to High Sierra, but that seems to be blocked out for me.  Suffice to say it will be somewhat of an ordeal.

I feel like my AHI numbers are very good, I feel very good...so why bother with OSCAR?   What incremental insights might OSCAR give me that would truly matter?   This is an honest question, I've never used OSCAR so I may be missing something - and I appreciate in advance any insights that would convince me to load it.

My follow-up with the sleep doctor is at the 90-day mark on December 30.  My thought is just to sit tight with myAir for now and see what he says.  

Also I have to say a HUGE THANKS for all the tips from the seasoned veterans on this board.  My first couple of weeks were quite rough, but I learned quite a bit of really useful info on here!  Thank You!

[BTW I realize there is a separate software board but this question is more about the value of the software given my particular situation.  Quite happy to move it over there if the gurus think that's the more appropriate forum.]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is OSCAR worth it for me? (New User)
You could download Sleepyhead and use with your older OS without any major loss of functionality
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2019, 04:01 PM)DropKick Mickey Wrote: I feel like my AHI numbers are very good, I feel very good...so why bother with OSCAR?   What incremental insights might OSCAR give me that would truly matter?   This is an honest question, I've never used OSCAR so I may be missing something - and I appreciate in advance any insights that would convince me to load it.

OSCAR simply exposes MUCH more data than MyAir, which only gives you the most minimal information.

I suppose if you don't care about that, and you're happy with your progress, then no need to bother.

But I can't imagine going without it, in part because I'm still adjusting and optimizing.

Sometimes the difference between an AHI of 2 and 1, or 0.5 can matter to quality of sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, good point!

(11-20-2019, 04:05 PM)jaswilliams Wrote: You could download Sleepyhead and use with your older OS without any major loss of functionality

Thanks, didn't know this was an option!
Post Reply Post Reply
the bottom line is how you feel. it sounds like you feel good and your numbers are good so unless you're afflicted with curiosity to get into the guts of things to understand how it all works & how well it's working, why bother with software? well, one more reason is to track your daily progress but if all you need is ahi, as I recall, myair will show you that. for those of us still grappling with adjustments because we're not feeling up to par yet, it's imperative to see the detailed data provided by our machines in sleepyhead or oscar. you may be one of the lucky ones to which success comes relatively easily & quickly.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2019, 04:26 PM)sheepless Wrote:  you may be one of the lucky ones to which success comes relatively easily & quickly.

Thanks, sheepless.  Having read lots of posts here, I feel very lucky indeed.  I quickly learned here about hose management (my first night I woke up 3 times and my mask was on the floor)...and now use a really good chinstrap that fits me comfortably (I bought 4), soft mouthguard, and warm Lanishoh cream 2x daily.  I feel like all 4 of these pieces were essential for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the rub...

Being someone who was on CPAP before data machines even existed, I can tell you for a fact that you do not need the software. And by no data, not even AHI.

That said, things can happen out of the blue. I had it so easy for years, then one day, my AHI was double digits. Not saying it will happen, but if it does, it does make it easier if you already have software. Got my AHI down for over 4 years, then it suddenly would blow up for a week or two. It is back down with a new machine.

I have Rescan and OSCAR. I’ve loaded a little data into Rescan and will setup and load some into OSCAR one of these days. I look at the Clinical Menu to see my numbers each day.

If you can get the software to work on your OS, great. You don’t have to use it.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
My issue is that I do not have a computer at home.  I am prohibited from downloading anything on my computer at work.  The MyAir app is limited, but my results posted there are good (AHIs always below 1/hr.) so I guess that's all I really NEED.  Sure, I'd love to analyze every minute, but the cost of a home computer is prohibitive.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK suzeecat,, where in michigan
And post up the data that you do have.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
(11-20-2019, 04:05 PM)jaswilliams Wrote: You could download Sleepyhead and use with your older OS without any major loss of functionality

Thank you, I finally downloaded SleepyHead v1.0 0 beta 2 a few days ago.  My  SD card data loaded perfectly the 1st time.  Very cool!

Just finished my 1st 90 day trial period, average AHI is much lower than the 109.6 during my sleep study.  Feeling really good, too!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 105 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Oscar and SD cards for machine/user swap ahuman 3 115 03-15-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,726 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Is the AirMini worth it vs. AirSense 11 labrat 10 914 02-22-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Jogreentree
Wink [CPAP] NEW USER - Assistance Needed Interpreting OSCAR Data tommythecat 1 278 02-17-2024, 12:55 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  New CPAP user - OSCAR Data Bourgi 7 674 02-04-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Bourgi
  First Time Oscar User - Needing Help Interpreting Data justinjj 2 322 02-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.