Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is Polysomnogram Foolproof? And....
Is Polysomnogram Foolproof? And....
Hi. Just wondering if the results from an overnight, in the lab, polysomnogram are always to be accepted as infallible? (for want of a better word). Wondering if someone were to take it again, or at another time, it could be different.

And..........Is it possible that someone who uses cpap for at least, let's say 3 months, every single night ends up not getting better? ie the daytime fatigue persists. (Assuming that there are no other health issues, the cpap treatment was all properly done, etc.)Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is Polysomnogram Foolproof? And....
Harmon, I have heard of repeating polysomnography when the first test is negative, or there are factors such as mediation, or the subject not sleeping adequately. The use of PSG during a titration test may also be of value, especially when complex apnea induced by CPAP pressure occurs. I have never heard of the findings of a polysomography that is positive for obstructive sleep apnea needing to be repeated.

On your second question, I think there a lots of members here that have taken a long time to recover, or found secondary issues that caused fatigue. So yes, and if your CPAP results are good, then it might be time to look for other factors that might be complicating your recovery.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2016, 11:39 AM)harmon k Wrote: Hi. Just wondering if the results from an overnight, in the lab, polysomnogram are always to be accepted as infallible? (for want of a better word). Wondering if someone were to take it again, or at another time, it could be different.

And..........Is it possible that someone who uses cpap for at least, let's say 3 months, every single night ends up not getting better? ie the daytime fatigue persists. (Assuming that there are no other health issues, the cpap treatment was all properly done, etc.)Dont-know

What is your leakage rate??

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2016, 11:39 AM)harmon k Wrote: And..........Is it possible that someone who uses cpap for at least, let's say 3 months, every single night ends up not getting better? ie the daytime fatigue persists. (Assuming that there are no other health issues, the cpap treatment was all properly done, etc.)Dont-know

I started seeing some improvemen immediately but only enough to keep me motivated. After 8 months, I am still not where I think I should be, but at least I like going to bed now.

Hang in there, it gets easier.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Considering that Polysomnography performed in a sleep lab represents ONLY a snapshot in time -- and under unusual and/or stressful conditions, it may not be infallible, diagnostic, or valid. Pretty much why all tests are evaluated by professionals who also consider the patient's other symptoms, co-morbidities (other medical conditions), and environment. Considering the vagaries of human physiology, there is a good chance that individual readings will vary from test-to-test -- but most likely can be evaluated along a trend line with multiple tests.

Most physicians treat the patient's symptoms and the testing validates the need for assistive devices such as a CPAP. Data from the device (if available) provides a further clue to the status of your sleep issues and can lead to further diagnostic testing which may result in machine upgrades and different sleep protocols.

If your symptoms persist, perhaps another sleep study is indicated. In any event, you need to have a talk with your doc.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2016, 11:39 AM)harmon k Wrote: Hi. Just wondering if the results from an overnight, in the lab, polysomnogram are always to be accepted as infallible? (for want of a better word). Wondering if someone were to take it again, or at another time, it could be different.

While I understand your question, it's so broad I don't think it's going to help you get to the answer you need to have. It would be much more useful to know what your sleep study showed. What were the results, did you receive a copy of your test? For instance in my case it showed 40 AHI events an hour. So is that "infallible"? Well no, in the sense that I'm going to guess there with other nights I had much worse events - I didn't for example wake up choking the night of the test! But is it "infallible" as far as the diagnosis. Let's just say I don't think there was much doubt.

Quote:And..........Is it possible that someone who uses cpap for at least, let's say 3 months, every single night ends up not getting better? ie the daytime fatigue persists. (Assuming that there are no other health issues, the cpap treatment was all properly done, etc.)Dont-know

Absolutely. In fact this was a great cause of concern for me and i was very disappointed because after 3 months I still felt fatigued. It took me quite some time before I started to notice a difference. Also, apnea isn't the only cause of fatigue, so there is no reason not to let your doctor know and see if there could also be other contributing causes.

It also took my quite some time before I really git my AHI events highly under control, so it would also help if you would post where those are for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2016, 11:39 AM)harmon k Wrote: Hi. Just wondering if the results from an overnight, in the lab, polysomnogram are always to be accepted as infallible? (for want of a better word).

Science is never infallible. The results of a sleep study *may* be wrong but the chance that any particular one is wrong are rather low. Science can't provide absolute truths, only relative ones, but still ones that are so good that you can safely bet your life on them. And you do every day if you live in the modern world.

I would not be willing to bet my life on a sleep study being wrong.

A CPAP hose blowing into your face every night won't kill you, but ignoring the results of a sleep study certainly can shorten your life by quite a few years.

Quote:Wondering if someone were to take it again, or at another time, it could be different.

It would almost certainly be different since the thing they test changes from day to day. But it would be extremely unlikely that they would be very different.

Quote:And..........Is it possible that someone who uses cpap for at least, let's say 3 months, every single night ends up not getting better?

Yes, it is, even if the sleep study results were correct as they very likely were. Some people need more than CPAP alone. Even if you don't, how long it takes to feel better depends on many factors, such as age and how long you've had untreated sleep apnea, to name only two.

Quote:ie the daytime fatigue persists. (Assuming that there are no other health issues, the cpap treatment was all properly done, etc.)

It's possible, but it certainly warrants a good conversation with your doctor or sleep therapist about what other health issues you have and whether your type of apnea warrants a different treatment, such as a BIPAP machine or ASV.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I dare say you could take a perfectly healthy person that didn't have sleep apnea that was sleeping very well and make him/her try to sleep with a cpap mask operating on their face and you'd find it would take quite a while for them to get back to their normal restful sleep sessions. For many of us, the treatment is initially worse than the malady. For all of us, the treatment adds a new hurdle to overcome when trying to sleep. Some do better than others in accepting it and acclimating. Fortunately, with continued use, it usually becomes the new norm and then, and only then, will the full benefits be realized.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2016, 09:39 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: For many of us, the treatment is initially worse than the malady. Fortunately, with continued use, it usually becomes the new norm and then, and only then, will the full benefits be realized.
^^^ This! ^^^

Not for everyone, but certainly many of us. Though there are many who are lucky and start to feel results instantly.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. Don't exactly know what the following means, but my report says re: Leaks:

Set threshold: 24.4L/min Max (avg) 108.7 Median avg 3.2

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feedback On My Polysomnogram Summary? harmon k 6 1,588 02-02-2017, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Beej
  Questions about my polysomnogram results sportster 8 2,038 02-20-2016, 03:14 AM
Last Post: vsheline

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.