Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is Polysomnogram Foolproof? And....
RE: Is Polysomnogram Foolproof? And....
All I know is that I've used the cpap for 23 straight nights and at least half of those nights my "events" were less than 1 and the rest were 1.something (except for two nights). Think I'm starting to slowly feel better. Thank you, folks.
Post Reply Post Reply
My leaks have averaged 5 L/min. Wonder if that's too high? ok? or what
Post Reply Post Reply
Make a list of your pre-cpap symptoms. Use Sleepyhead to comment about how you feel whenever you think of it. I found that the headaches went away first, long before the tiredness. The thing is that you can have complicating factors that come in - things that the cpap fixes may reveal other issues (or not). BUT, if the symptom goes away and you continue to use your device and it comes back, then you know something else is up. Right now, for instance, I am tired due to being woken up by RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) at 4 a.m.. This has been happening frequently, BUT the cpap is clearly working because while being tired, I don't have the desire to take a nap. So, those sort of observations help me to continue when I'm so frustrated with not sleeping well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2016, 11:18 AM)harmon k Wrote: My leaks have averaged 5 L/min. Wonder if that's too high? ok? or what
An average unintentional leak rate of 5 L/min is probably low enough to not worry about.

But it would help us help you if we knew where you were getting that leak rate number. From the machine's LCD? (If so, what machine are you using?) Or from SleepyHead?

If you are using SleepyHead, the leak rate number you want to really pay attention to is the 90/95% leak rate.

And finally I'll add this: Any leak that wakes you up and disturbs your sleep is a problem even if it's very small from a therapeutic point of view.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I'm getting the leak rate number from the Resmed.com/My Air site. Last night though, I could feel it leaking a lot and no matter what I did to adjust the mask I couldn't stop it. Every night until last night were low #s but last night showed a whopping 16 L/min.
I removed the mask eventually because it was so annoying! I tried everything.....the only time I didnt feel any leaking I had to tighten it SO HARD that it was way too uncomfortable to keep on.
Is it possible that after only 3 1/2 weeks the lining of the mask could be, like, messed up?
I have an Amara View full face and like it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2016, 10:02 PM)harmon k Wrote: Thanks. I'm getting the leak rate number from the Resmed.com/My Air site.
It's not exactly clear to me whether the MyAir site uses the average, median, 70%, or 95% leak rate. And it makes a difference.

Quote:Last night though, I could feel it leaking a lot and no matter what I did to adjust the mask I couldn't stop it. Every night until last night were low #s but last night showed a whopping 16 L/min.
Is this also coming from MyAir?

Quote:I removed the mask eventually because it was so annoying! I tried everything.....the only time I didnt feel any leaking I had to tighten it SO HARD that it was way too uncomfortable to keep on.
Is it possible that after only 3 1/2 weeks the lining of the mask could be, like, messed up?
I have an Amara View full face and like it.
It's possible that you thought you had the cushion firmly attached to the frame, but it wasn't completely latched. Or it's possible that you wound up with a mask tear. My husband's FFM mask cushion developed a pretty significant tear overnight about a month or so ago. Replacing the cushion fixed the problem.

Mask cushions sometimes do fail relatively early. Sometimes they just wear out due to facial oils accumulating on them Other times they may last for months before needing to be replaced.

It's enough of a problem that Medicare is willing to pay for a replacement mask cushion once a month, as I recall. And many other insurance companies will authorize replacing cushions at the same rate. Most people get replacement cushions as soon as they can until they build a stash of 3-4 back up cushions. This allows you to rotate the cushions if you want and it gives you a back up if something happens to the cushion in the middle of the night.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
I look at MyAir results every day too. I like seeing that 100% reading too. I can have a bad night or a good night and still get a good score. But, don't give the numbers any credence. SleepyHead tells the real story. I have leaks over the limit but I can see they are for short times or at times that don't matter. Therefore, I do not have a leak problem.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
MyAir only shows a mask fit issue if the leak rate exceeds 24 L/min. If you're not using #Sleepyhead, you don't know much about your therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. My Leaks per min are always between 4 and 5.
Post Reply Post Reply
Polysomnogram is not infallible. Ie. I was originally diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea. Because of my job my employer was notified by myself and dr. of results of very first polysomnogram. Nearly a year afterwards having had surgery in attempt to solve issue. I discovered the interpreting doctor (a pulmonologist who was not board certified in sleep medicine) had totalled all hypopneas, both 3% and 4% desaturation instead of using one standard of either 3% or 4% required by AASM accreditation guidelines. So the resultant AHI was much higher than actual results. I filed complaint with AASM accreditation board and director of involved sleep center confirmed the error. But no corrections have ever been made.
I never suffered from symptoms nor went to doctor with complaints about my sleep. My pulmonologist one appointment started asking questions about my sleep. I had no complaints so he stated his opinion I had "small windpipe" and should have sleep test. (Same dr. who interpreted the test). I made mistake of just going along with his suggestion.
After much research into sleep and sleep trials and studies testing etc, and after all of this, it seems that sleep medicine is not nearly the exact science sleep medicine wishes the public to believe it to be.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feedback On My Polysomnogram Summary? harmon k 6 1,586 02-02-2017, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Beej
  Questions about my polysomnogram results sportster 8 2,037 02-20-2016, 03:14 AM
Last Post: vsheline

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.