Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is Resmed S9 Autoset mode suitable for central sleep apnea?
RE: CPAP not working well, better result from Sertraline?
Perhaps posting a few screenshots here of a few full nights making sure to include the RERA and UF1 and 2 data along with the usual graphs will allow folks here to review and provide some additional suggestions.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is Resmed S9 Autoset mode suitable for central sleep apnea?
Q: Is the AutoSet mode an APAP mode?

A: No, different as day and night, as far as ResMed machines concerned
S9 AutoSet is an AutoSet, S9 Escape Auto is an APAP
APAP mode: doesn't treat apnea above 10 treats and doesn't know whether if an apnea is obstructive or central either.

Q: Is the AutoSet mode suitable for central sleep apnoea?

A: S9 AutoSet mode, recognize central apnea when see one and respond by not increasing pressure and that response prevent runaway pressure (which if left unchecked could cause more central apnea to occur)

Q: Is AutoSet alone enough for central sleep apnoea or do I need medication?
A: The AutoSet is not the machine of choice to treat people with central apneas diagnoses and some medication can cause central apnea
Post Reply Post Reply
Respectfully, zonk's comments about the Escape Auto machine (including the part about "APAP mode: doesn't treat apnea above 10...") are not relevant to the OP's questions and may cause even more confusion. OP does not have an Escape Auto.

napnaptime, you have an S9 Autoset machine. It is an APAP machine which can operate in APAP mode or CPAP mode. "Autoset" is not a mode, it is the name of the machine.

APAP machines are not the appropriate machines for central apnea -- they can "flag" (identify) central apneas but do not have the capacity to treat them. Central apnea requires a very different machine, usually ASV.

I'm not sure why you're asking about medication to treat central apnea -- first, there's no evidence at this point that you have central apnea, and second, central apnea is not treated with medication. If there is an underlying condition causing the central apnea, medication might be prescribed specifically to treat that underlying condition.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2015, 03:11 PM)kaiasgram Wrote: zonk's comments about the Escape Auto machine (including the part about "APAP mode: doesn't treat apnea above 10...") are not relevant to the OP's questions and may cause even more confusion. OP does not have an Escape Auto.

napnaptime, you have an S9 Autoset machine. It is an APAP machine which can operate in APAP mode or CPAP mode. "Autoset" is not a mode, it is the name of the machine.
ResMed make a distinction between APAP and AutoSet algorthim
The auto mode on the S9 AutoSet is called AutoSet not APAP

Yes, you might posses superior knowledge but my aim is not to provide confusions and I've answered OP questions with the best intentions

Apology-2 now, I go and sit in the corner quietly and have a nice cup of tea to cheer up
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2015, 01:36 PM)napnaptime Wrote:
Quote:Why don't you use the software to analyze the type of apnea being scored by your present machine.?

I found some central apnoea events on sleepyhead but my respiratory doctor says that the machine is not very accurate and the only way to correctly diagnose sleep events is in a sleep lab which gathers from multiple data sources.

Having "some" CA events is pretty normal, at least for me. Central or complex apnea is a problem when those events are frequent, to the point that arousals or oxygen desaturation occurs. A little more specific information, such as the CAI (clear apnea event index), total AHI and perhaps posting a graph showing your concerns would help a lot.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have some images here but not sure what it all means.

[Image: qbo4Vch.png]

[Image: w3PxEDw.png]

[Image: NZJ5brr.png]

[Image: MMWLhfE.png]

[Image: K420e81.png]

[Image: moDljMm.png]

[Image: fXs10g7.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey zonk,
I think you are one of the most helpful persons on this forum.

There is a lot of confusion on machine names: AutoSet, APAP,
I think the attached link where Archangle describes this in detail is quite informative.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Also, OP states that he has an S9 AutoSet used in Cpap mode. He is simply asking if APAP mode treats Central Apnea, which it does not.

I dont see evidence of central apnea either, but napnaptime, if you aren't getting satisfaction from your doc, then find another. There may be other reasons for how bad you feel.

Grouphug3
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The point really is that you are not getting better, but feel you are getting worse. An overnight oxymetry test can be done at home and will show if your oxygen levels are going low in spite of your CPAP treatment. If so that needs to be treated, and how it is treated depends on what causes it.

In my case I continued to decline in spite of great numbers under APAP treatment. I began to improve noticeably when I was put on supplemental oxygen during my sleep hours.

I don't know what would be best in your case, but you should not just accept your situation and you should make it known to your doctor and ask for more testing and a better treatment. If he or she won't help go see another doctor. Don't just play nice and continue declining. It's your life we are playing with here.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2015, 04:09 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: The point really is that you are not getting better, but feel you are getting worse. An overnight oxymetry test can be done at home and will show if your oxygen levels are going low in spite of your CPAP treatment. If so that needs to be treated, and how it is treated depends on what causes it.

In my case I continued to decline in spite of great numbers under APAP treatment. I began to improve noticeably when I was put on supplemental oxygen during my sleep hours.

I don't know what would be best in your case, but you should not just accept your situation and you should make it known to your doctor and ask for more testing and a better treatment. If he or she won't help go see another doctor. Don't just play nice and continue declining. It's your life we are playing with here.

I have been denied a second opinion because my respiratory doctor says the apnoea is now under control, my last oxymetry was apparently fine. I have run every other medical test imaginable includinf MRI, the only thing that I notice is that my graph logged a large amount of UF2 events around 17 per night, are these awakening events? could the hose itself be waking me up as I turn?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2015, 03:39 PM)zonk Wrote:
(12-05-2015, 03:11 PM)kaiasgram Wrote: zonk's comments about the Escape Auto machine (including the part about "APAP mode: doesn't treat apnea above 10...") are not relevant to the OP's questions and may cause even more confusion. OP does not have an Escape Auto.

ResMed make a distinction between APAP and AutoSet algorthim
The auto mode on the S9 AutoSet is called AutoSet not APAP

Yes, you might posses superior knowledge but my aim is not to provide confusions and I've answered OP questions with the best intentions

Apology-2 now, I go and sit in the corner quietly and have a nice cup of tea to cheer up

zonk, my apologies. I didn't mean to offend you and I know we all intend to be helpful. That's why we're all here.

You are correct that in the S9 Autoset clinical menu, APAP mode is actually called "Autoset" mode.

I didn't want the OP to get caught up in trying to understand about how the Escape Auto works since he doesn't have that machine. That's all.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 22 438 45 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 574 4 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 235 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,517 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 182 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 114 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.