Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is Resmed S9 Autoset mode suitable for central sleep apnea?
RE: Is Resmed S9 Autoset mode suitable for central sleep apnea?
Okay so will I just leave my machine set to CPAP mode, what are the advantages of the modes?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2015, 04:48 PM)kaiasgram Wrote: I didn't want the OP to get caught up in trying to understand about how the Escape Auto works since he doesn't have that machine. That's all.
I should be the one who apologizing, being Taurean doesn't helps
You cannot except some 42000 members agree with each all the times, let alone two people at a time
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2015, 04:55 PM)napnaptime Wrote: Okay so will I just leave my machine set to CPAP mode, what are the advantages of the modes?
I find not so easy answering this question, because everyone is different and respond differently to treatment
CPAP mode deliver one constant pressure all night (except Ramp time), the machine cannot go any lower or higher than set pressure
AutoSet mode deliver one pressure but fluctuate between lower pressure and higher pressure settings
This can be useful for someone who sleeping supine, have one too many, lost or gain weight, etc

I've always used auto mode since starting treatment, but lately, switched to CPAP mode because when on auto mode (AirSense 10 AutoSet), the machine increase pressure up to the maximum and stay there for most of the time as the machine respond aggressively to FL
The FL graph looks neater when on auto mode, but no difference in AHI or sleep quality (maybe slightly better on CPAP mode) ... YMMV

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2015, 05:12 PM)zonk Wrote:
(12-05-2015, 04:48 PM)kaiasgram Wrote: I didn't want the OP to get caught up in trying to understand about how the Escape Auto works since he doesn't have that machine. That's all.
I should be the one who apologizing, being Taurean doesn't helps
You cannot except some 42000 members agree with each all the times, let alone two people at a time

Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2015, 01:36 PM)napnaptime Wrote:
Quote:Why don't you use the software to analyze the type of apnea being scored by your present machine.?

I found some central apnoea events on sleepyhead but my respiratory doctor says that the machine is not very accurate and the only way to correctly diagnose sleep events is in a sleep lab which gathers from multiple data sources.

The doc is flat out wrong. Data in a sleep lab is better per hour, but it's only one night, in a strange bed, with a different CPAP machine, and often is only a few hours of sleep. You might have central apnea at home, and not in the sleep lab, and vice versa. People often have centrals only part of the night.

The data from your CPAP machine is every night, studying the actual therapy you're getting. It might have some technical inaccuracies with events that are on the borderline

However, you should not panic over "Central apnea" in your home sleep data. Everyone has some. What's your AHI? How much of that is central? Also look and see how long the centrals are. If they're 11 seconds long, they're a lot less important than if they're 120 seconds.

There's also what some of us call "Sleep Wake Junk." As you fall asleep or wake up, there are often a lot of apneas and strange breathing events of various types. They're not that important unless they are too severe, too frequent, or last too long.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2015, 02:40 PM)zonk Wrote: Q: Is the AutoSet mode an APAP mode?

A: No, different as day and night, as far as ResMed machines concerned
S9 AutoSet is an AutoSet, S9 Escape Auto is an APAP
APAP mode: doesn't treat apnea above 10 treats and doesn't know whether if an apnea is obstructive or central either.

(12-05-2015, 03:39 PM)zonk Wrote: ResMed make a distinction between APAP and AutoSet algorthim
The auto mode on the S9 AutoSet is called AutoSet not APAP.

To everyone other than ResMed, the AutoSet is an APAP or an Auto CPAP. I don't even think ResMed makes the distinction except in some documents tying to market the AutoSet as somehow superior to other Auto CPAP machines.

Summary: YES, the AutoSet is an APAP.
Useful links.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2015, 04:03 PM)napnaptime Wrote: I have some images here but not sure what it all means.

Your data looks good as far as I can tell from these screenshots. In particular, the low AHI. Your flow limit looks good, too.

Zoom in on the individual events and see how long they last.

You could also upload a copy of your SD card to Dropbox.

If you decide to tinker with your pressure, be sure to check your data frequently after the change to look for increased central apnea. Don't increase the maximum pressure much above 10 until you've tested it out a bit.

I doubt an in lab sleep test would show anything significant, if your home data looks that good.
Useful links.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2015, 06:35 PM)archangle Wrote: To everyone other than ResMed, the AutoSet is an APAP or an Auto CPAP. I don't even think ResMed makes the distinction except in some documents tying to market the AutoSet as somehow superior to other Auto CPAP machines.
Superior in sense that S9 AutoSet and the newer AirSense 10 AutoSet have enhanced autoset algorthim with central apnea detection
Some PR machines can do that but other brands whether CPAP or APAP cannot

As for central apnea, 1 or 2 events used to freak me out
Went straight to the doctor, he said, i worry too much, he is right, the hair going greyish oldman

I've come to conclusion that, unlike sleep study, machine data useful for trending
For me, I consider good night if I see in the morning, hours on the screen shows anything between 7 and 8 hours ... YMMV

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2015, 04:16 PM)napnaptime Wrote: I have been denied a second opinion because my respiratory doctor says the apnoea is now under control, my last oxymetry was apparently fine. I have run every other medical test imaginable includinf MRI, the only thing that I notice is that my graph logged a large amount of UF2 events around 17 per night, are these awakening events? could the hose itself be waking me up as I turn?

A review of your data shows that your apnea is indeed under control. That doesn't mean it is optimized, but your AHI is low and is clinically treated. Your sleep doctor probably thinks it doesn't get any better than that, and you should just go away and appreciate what he has done for you.

Your S9 does not measure RERA (respiratory event related arousals), but they may be showing up as UF2 events. That is a sleepyhead designation for a machine reported event that is undefined or unknown to the programmer (Jedi-Mark). We don't really know how to address those, but sometimes small changes like variations in EPR, or using Autoset mode can help, or not.

With a fixed pressure of 10, you have essentially no obstructive apnea or hypopnea, and the clear airway events are very low, and could be simply disturbances in sleep. They are not a health concern or indicative of central or complex apnea. There is no harm in experimenting with some alternative machine settings if you want to. Putting the machine into Auto mode and a minimum pressure of 8.0 and maximum pressure of 11.0 might be more comfortable, and should provide comparable effectiveness. Whether this cleans up some of the arousals, we can't say, but it might be worth a shot. You can always resume CPAP at 10 if you don't like the results.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2015, 04:08 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Hey zonk,
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMyDRsleT3yCNeJrRe_i7...V4_w2CUydw]
Mince pies Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 216 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 342 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,512 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 180 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 105 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.