Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Broken Wisp
RE: Broken Wisp
(03-05-2013, 11:34 PM)JJJ Wrote: Last night one of the snaps on my Philips Respironics Wisp mask disintegrated. I patched it together with a safety pin. The first thing I noticed about the Wisp when I got it in late January was that the snaps are really hard to use and felt flimsy. I see I was right.

Does anyone know if there is a warranty on masks?

I used to have a Wisp but speech fewapy fixed it.

Let's be serious.
I don't know. What I DO know is that ResMed masks have a 90 day warranty. "Accessories, mask systems (including mask frame, cushion, headgear and tubing) Excludes single-use devices."

But since I abandoned Philips (except for the screwdrivers - they still make great screwdrivers) I don't have any details about their products. I would imagine it's similar though.

Post Reply Post Reply
I got my wisp yesterday and my DME said that Phillips are now giving 2 extra headgears with purchase (1 extra fabric type & 1 silicone one).

I used the fabric one last night and it was very uncomfortable for me although my numbers were awesome. I'll try the silicone one tonight.

I also noticed that the 2 plastic connector tabs on the back headgear piece seemed flimsy so I have elected to not undo them each time. I have chosen to just pull the mask over my head instead of un-clipping every time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2013, 01:13 PM)Cobra4x4 Wrote: I got my wisp yesterday and my DME said that Phillips are now giving 2 extra headgears with purchase (1 extra fabric type & 1 silicone one).
I used the fabric one last night and it was very uncomfortable for me although my numbers were awesome. I'll try the silicone one tonight.
I also noticed that the 2 plastic connector tabs on the back headgear piece seemed flimsy so I have elected to not undo them each time. I have chosen to just pull the mask over my head instead of un-clipping every time.

That's very interesting. Both my original and the replacement came with only one fabric headgear. I bet that means that my replacement is still one of the original defective ones.

Oh well. I'm probably going to have to abandon the Wisp anyway because of the high leaks. But in the meantime I think I'm going to stop un-clipping the headgear and just pull it over my head like you do. At least the clips might last longer that way.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have noticed that with ResMed straps, that the clasps are "uni directional" ............. or each clasp has to be snaped in the exact same orientation

In the middle of the night........ this can be frustrating.Huh

I have noticed that fastex buckles common to hiking supplies and such do not need to be orientated in any special direction and are easy to use.

Has anybody considered changing out the Res-med clasps for the fastex buckles?

Eric

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2013, 10:26 AM)u2canbuild Wrote: I have noticed that with ResMed straps, that the clasps are "uni directional" ............. or each clasp has to be snaped in the exact same orientation
In the middle of the night........ this can be frustrating.
I have noticed that fastex buckles common to hiking supplies and such do not need to be orientated in any special direction and are easy to use.Has anybody considered changing out the Res-med clasps for the fastex buckles?

That's an interesting idea. I've been pulling the Wisp over my head and not bothering with the clips because, as you say, clipping and unclipping in the middle of the night is a PITA. I think the headgear will hold up reasonably well this way because it is the clipping and unclipping that causes wear. I was using only the left clip (per advice from the respiratory therapist at the DME where I bought the Wisp) and when it broke it disintegrated right around that clip point.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too have found that the plastic snaps wear out or stretch the fabric and unsnap in the middle of the night after 4 weeks of use.

After staring at the headgear I noticed that the two velcro adjustment straps by your temples simply thread through, without plastic snaps. Bingo. Last night I removed both plastic snaps and just threaded the two lower velcro straps through in identical fashion to the other two straps above at your temples and adjusted them for a nice fit.

Perfect. Nothing to unsnap and nothing to wear out. Got an excellent night's sleep with no leaks.

The plastic disk snaps were a really poor design choice on the nicest-feeling mask I've worn. Traditional mask releases, like my previous masks, would have been a much better choice.

Paul
Post Reply Post Reply
I have also stopped using the clips and have had no problems. Knock on wood...
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2013, 02:56 PM)cabzinrah Wrote: Last night I removed both plastic snaps and just threaded the two lower velcro straps through in identical fashion to the other two straps above at your temples and adjusted them for a nice fit.

Perfect. Nothing to unsnap and nothing to wear out. Got an excellent night's sleep with no leaks.

Great suggestion.

And, hi cabzinrah, welcome to the forum!
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cabzinrah,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I had stopped using the clips and just slipped the mask over my head when I needed to get up. I hadn't thought of just getting rid of the clips altogether, thanks for the suggestion.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2013, 05:19 PM)grumpycat Wrote: I have also stopped using the clips and have had no problems.

I don't know why they even designed it with clips. An unnecessary complication that just increases the potential failure points.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation LCD Backlight Broken FatSleeper15 0 331 09-19-2023, 08:09 PM
Last Post: FatSleeper15
  Wisp stats mousetrap 6 3,548 09-08-2023, 10:27 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  Climateline heated hose - broken or bad connection Wondering2 0 940 12-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: Wondering2
  WISP Nasal Mask users Gus Wah 5 829 07-23-2022, 10:53 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Resvent iBreeze glitching/broken? Frankensteins Bride 2 2,771 07-04-2022, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Frankensteins Bride
  Auto CPAP sensor rises to the highest range immediately. How to fix? What's broken? WWu777 16 1,912 12-17-2021, 12:44 PM
Last Post: WWu777
  N30 Headgear Strap Broken silversnore 2 1,053 12-07-2021, 01:44 PM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.