Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is The Res Med s9 Voted The Best Machine
RE: Is The Res Med s9 Voted The Best Machine
(05-13-2013, 05:07 PM)zonk Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 08:37 PM)Schnauzers 5 Wrote: To me, The s9 looks like the Rolls Royce of machines.
+1

By "Best" I meant most comfortable and quiet. The read out info does not concern me as long as it has at least what my current card has. And algorythems means again?
Post Reply Post Reply
I can only reiterate what I already said - the experience here is that some find the sound of the S9 annoying, too high pitched. Of course, they all make noise, and a half empty humidifier has an echo that can be quite fearsome at close range, whatever the manufacturer. Comfort is an issue with mask, not machines, and you can use any make of mask with pretty much any machine, so that is not a question here. Ease of operation is about the same for all the top brands. Algorithms here refers to the proprietary way each manufacturer has developed to interpret the flow of air and other factors to extrapolate data concerning your current breathing pattern and apply corrections to the air flow in response, and how it then records and interprets this for analysis.

In terms of actual quality and benefit, there is no difference between manufacturers. What is important is to have the correct type of machine for your condition, regardless of the maker of that machine. Same is true for the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
No vote here, but I have had an S9 for about three (3) years and only dislike two minor things about it. The first is the whistle noise that has already been discussed on this forum. The second is that there is no control for the lighted display panel. It's on a timer and would prefer to have it off unless I'm reading it. Other than that, I really like the machine and would have to see another unit in person before I would ever consider switching.
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
keep in mind ... S9 is the only machine (AutoSet & Elite models) calculate unintentional leak

Side by side ... looks the same to me

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQE4k5H4b1_DOtYK73vGKd...NFUAP7Qvmg] [Image: thumbnail.jpg]

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2013, 06:20 PM)zonk Wrote: keep in mind ... S9 is the only machine (AutoSet & Elite models) calculate unintentional leak
Also ResMed tell us to keep leak below 24 L/m unlike other machines report percentage of time in high leak which does not mean a lot if trying to keeps leak under control

Good mask fit is essential for effective treatment
'Shastzi' summed up quite well here ... (post #5)
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-necessary
IE: I have one mask that is nice and comfly but it leaks like a sieve. I would have never known it was a bad leaker and why I was having other problems without that leak data collected the previous night.

[Image: S9-badge.jpg] [Image: red-dot-logo.jpg]

Post Reply Post Reply
The main disadvantage I'm aware of with the ResMed machines, other than the higher price, is the fact that they don't store detailed data for long periods of time. I know I would find this very inconvenient. I now download my data monthly and if I had a ResMed I wouldn't be able to do that.

I really don't understand why they do this. I've had my PRS1 machine for over 18 months and the SD card is only 1.5% full. The data just doesn't take up that much space so there's no reason to not store it.

The other side of the argument is that ResMed machines do have a number of significant advantages over PRS1 machines.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2013, 05:22 PM)Schnauzers 5 Wrote: And algorythems means again?

The algorithm is the set of instructions the APAP machines use to make pressure changes in response to apneas and hypopneas. They work great for most people, but not all.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is a major pain in the arse to remember to download the data at least once a week. I try to do it on Sundays and Wednesdays in an effort to stay one step ahead of it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I had a respironics pro m before my resmed s9 autoset. I am very happy with the s9. I would specify the autoset model tho.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2013, 12:20 PM)DocWils Wrote: There are some that report the S9 emits a high pitched hum when running, and several have been returned to the LL here.

Hi DocWils,

I think the S9 VPAP Auto has an upgraded blower unit and (I think) would not suffer from the whistle which some AutoSet models are known for. ResMed says the S9 VPAP Auto is their optimal machine for treating simple obstructive SA (not central or mixed).

Perhaps you could ask your LL if they have had any experience with the S9 VPAP Auto and whether they've had any complaints against it.

(By the way - what does the abbreviation LL stand for?)

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 261,266 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,775 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,297 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,736 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,232 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.