Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is The Res Med s9 Voted The Best Machine
RE: Is The Res Med s9 Voted The Best Machine
First off, the critical thing is to get a fully data capable machine. Avoid the S9 Escape and Escape Auto. The Elite and AutoSet provide much better data collection.

If get a dumb "brick" CPAP machine that doesn't collect full data, it's very hard to figure out whether your therapy is working well and fix any problems that happen. Picking your pressure and other settings based on sleeping part of a single night in a strange lab may not find the best therapy long term.

If you're lucky enough to find "THE" right setting from one night it the lab, that's good, but lots of people aren't so lucky.

The AutoSet S9 Elite and AutoSet, and the PRS1 Pro and Auto give pretty much the same data, and are easy to access the data from. All of the other manufacturers' machines are much harder to access the data from or collect less data. For instance, some machines do not collect airflow waveforms, which are the actual waveforms of your breathing every second all night long. Others collect data, but it's harder for the patient to see his data.

The S9 AutoSet and PRS1 Auto are roughly a tossup as to which is better. Each has it's drawbacks and quirks.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2013, 11:21 AM)skyler Wrote: I consider my ASV machine to be the Cadillac of machines because of the responsiveness of the machine. If you can swing an ASV go with that.

ASV is really only for people with central apnea. While some people adapt to it easily, many people have a hard time getting used to the machine "forcing" them to breathe on the machine's schedule. It's especially tough on new users. ASV also requires a lot more tinkering to get it right.

An Auto CPAP, bilevel, or even manual CPAP is easy for most people to get used to. If you don't have central apnea, the ASV isn't going to give you any better results. It might even not work as well.

ASVs are sort of a "bigger" hammer and sort of force you to breathe on its schedule when things go wrong. Good if you need it, but many people find it tough to live with.

Useful links.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2013, 06:20 PM)zonk Wrote: keep in mind ... S9 is the only machine (AutoSet & Elite models) calculate unintentional leak

Side by side ... looks the same to me

I consider this to be a big disadvantage of the S9. It throws away the "intentional" leak value. While this sounds good at first, there are several problems.

If the mask doesn't leak as much as the machine thinks it does, you will not be able to see your real leak level. For instance, if the S9 thinks your mask leaks 20 l/m, and it only leaks 15 l/m, if you have a 5 l/m leak, it won't show up in your data. While a 5 l/m leak won't cause your pressure to drop enough to lose your therapy, a 5 l/m mouth leak is important, or the fact that your mask is leaking 5 l/m may be useful info.

The S9 doesn't have leak data for every mask, so it may get it wrong.

If your vent holes get clogged up or you block them with your pillow, it won't show up in your data on an S9 because low intentional leak rates aren't recored by the S9.
Useful links.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2013, 05:07 AM)archangle Wrote: ASV is really only for people with central apnea. While some people adapt to it easily, many people have a hard time getting used to the machine "forcing" them to breathe on the machine's schedule. It's especially tough on new users. ASV also requires a lot more tinkering to get it right.

An Auto CPAP, bilevel, or even manual CPAP is easy for most people to get used to. If you don't have central apnea, the ASV isn't going to give you any better results. It might even not work as well.

ASVs are sort of a "bigger" hammer and sort of force you to breathe on its schedule when things go wrong. Good if you need it, but many people find it tough to live with.

Well, ASV machines can be adjusted to operate like a basic fixed-pressure CPAP machine, or an APAP machine, or a bi-level machine, or a bi-level Auto machine, or (of course) in ASV mode. So, in a sense, it does not "force" us to do anything. It offers options.

ASV mode is only one of many available modes in which an ASV-capable machine can be operated. But, of course, if the user does not have central apneas then the extra expense of an ASV machine is buying no immediate extra benefit for its current user.

ResMed says its bi-level Auto machine (the S9 VPAP Auto) is its optimal machine for treating simple obstructive sleep apnea (as opposed to central, or mixed obstructive plus central sleep apnea). The cost of an "open box special" brand new S9 VPAP Auto is around USD$975 on line, and the cost of an "open box special" brand new S9 ASV machine is about double that much. So, personally, I wouldn't get an ASV machine if there is no immediate need for one.

But I do think the extra cost of a bi-level Auto (above the cost of an APAP) may be worth it, if one can afford it. Again, the bi-level Auto machines can be adjusted to operate like a CPAP or an APAP machine. I do think a majority of those who prefer the highest setting for EPR or Flex and don't have any central apnea events would likely prefer a bi-level machine, if they were able to try one.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2013, 05:13 AM)archangle Wrote:
(05-13-2013, 06:20 PM)zonk Wrote: keep in mind ... S9 is the only machine (AutoSet & Elite models) calculate unintentional leak

Side by side ... looks the same to me

I consider this to be a big disadvantage of the S9. It throws away the "intentional" leak value. While this sounds good at first, there are several problems.
I thought you would chime in ... telepathy

For someone like me cannot put 2 and 2 together ... its big advantage
That's the way the cookie crumble Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2013, 06:31 AM)zonk Wrote: For someone like me cannot put 2 and 2 together ... its big advantage
That's the way the cookie crumble Smile

Zonk - You put 2 and 2 together pretty well, my friend.

(As does Archangle.)

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 261,265 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,775 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,297 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,735 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,232 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.