Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is There A Maximum Age For CPAP?
Is There A Maximum Age For CPAP?
I am wondering if when someone gets to be very old if the pressure
from CPAP (or any other issue) becomes too much and it is no longer an option? If so, what would cause someone to have to stop CPAP?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is There A Maximum Age For CPAP?
(03-02-2016, 06:32 AM)player Wrote: If so, what would cause someone to have to stop CPAP?

If they no longer have OSA? I cannot see any reason why stopping CPAP therapy would be beneficial if they still have OSA.

The pressure isn't really that much, even maxed out. At higher pressure the mask lifts off the face and cheeks inflate. Not like the CPAP machine inflates you like a balloon, dig-dug style.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not aware of anyone being removed from xPAP therapy for age. Critically ill or very elderly people may need respiratory support even more, or supplemental oxygen in addition to PAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2016, 06:32 AM)player Wrote: I am wondering if when someone gets to be very old if the pressure
from CPAP (or any other issue) becomes too much and it is no longer an option? If so, what would cause someone to have to stop CPAP?

I don't think so. I've seen some pretty old folks at the sleep center. However, I do know some people don't need the cpap when they go on oxygen. There's enough pressure or something to prevent the apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was listening to an interview on CBC Radio Canada about an elderly man who went to Switzerland for Dr. assisted death and apnea was one of the main reasons stated that he ended his life...
Post Reply Post Reply
To me, xPAP makes breathing easier. The air is filtered and moisturized. At this point, I can't imagine not using it as I get older.

fos
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2016, 03:36 PM)player Wrote: I was listening to an interview on CBC Radio Canada about an elderly man who went to Switzerland for Dr. assisted death and apnea was one of the main reasons stated that he ended his life...

Sounds like a story with half the facts...

Post Reply Post Reply

I am wondering if when someone gets to be very old if the pressure

Don't even mention such an idea-some of our crazy mob of politicians will want medicare to deprive us old geezers of our trusty XPAPs. I don't think there is an age max. for treatment.
Considering my own usage of CPAP as an example- I have used CPAP/and BiLevel for about 28 years, and will soon be 86. I find the machine just as satisfying, and more comfortable than when I first began treatment those many years ago. I am a confirmed CPAP junkie and I surely intend to continue using my machine until I shuffle off this mortal coil.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
CPA at max pressure is still very, very little pressure. Not enough to blow up a balloon. Less than 5% of the pressure required to blow up a balloon.

I kind of roll my eyes when someone talks about CPAP "blowing out their lungs".

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...n+pressure

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
My grandpa is 95 and still uses one...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Maximum pressure in heart failure? edgnoj 0 484 11-04-2022, 04:58 AM
Last Post: edgnoj
  What is the maximum pressure for the AirCurve 10 V Auto and AirCurve 10 S (fixed pres KeepSmiling 3 625 10-31-2022, 10:31 PM
Last Post: KeepSmiling
  BiPAP pressures at maximum Chalkie 15 1,819 09-12-2021, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Chalkie
  Maximum total run hours bsnelson 4 2,859 01-05-2021, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Reaching maximum IPAP - Time to change settings? Frajola81 56 4,079 12-21-2020, 06:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Mask test: what determines maximum pressure fredkahan 2 803 12-10-2020, 04:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Minimum and Maximum Pressure Settings upsman 3 2,980 05-13-2020, 01:36 PM
Last Post: upsman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.