Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is This Cheyne-Stokes Respiration?
Is This Cheyne-Stokes Respiration?
My periodic breathing is on the increase and the last two nights has been over 14%. As someone who has had a heart issue (triple bypass in 2013) I am concerned that this might be CSR. Before I go racing off to the doctor, could the experts on this forum look at one of my PB events and tell me if the waveform indicates possible CSR and the possible onset of congestive heart failure.

https://imageshack.com/i/pnfnErNYp
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is This Cheyne-Stokes Respiration?
To determine if it CSR or a different type of PB, we really need to see the flow over a couple of cycles of waxing and waning, which will take a few minutes. You've zoomed in too far.

CSR shows a smooth reduction in flow followed by a central apnea, followed by a smooth increase in flow. All this repeated over and over. If the apnea episode is followed by a sharp recovery breath, then that is not CSR.

>>Disclaimer: I'm an engineer not a medical professional. Take my advice for what it's worth<<
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2017, 10:37 PM)holden4th Wrote: My periodic breathing is on the increase and the last two nights has been over 14%. As someone who has had a heart issue (triple bypass in 2013) I am concerned that this might be CSR. Before I go racing off to the doctor, could the experts on this forum look at one of my PB events and tell me if the waveform indicates possible CSR and the possible onset of congestive heart failure.

Hi holden4th,

I think "true" CSR is the CSR breathing pattern which occurs even without CPAP. Also, it is fairly common that living or traveling in a high altitude can cause central apneas, which disappear after returning to a lower altitude.

The short period you posted shows smoothly waxing and waning of the Flow. This may be Periodic Breathing but is not CSR-like unless there are periods of longer than 10 seconds of no breathing between the gradual starts and stops.

My heart rate is chronically slow, which I think may be a contributing cause of my own occasional CSR-like breathing pattern.  Heart failure is not the only reason for CSR-like breathing patterns.

Regarding heart failure, though, the note below was copied from http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/m...1930#page3

It should also be noted that in patients with underlying heart disease, taking certain medications can lead to the development or worsening of congestive heart failure. This is especially true for those drugs that can cause sodium retention or affect the power of the heart muscle. Examples of such medications are the commonly used nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), which include ibuprofen (Motrin and others) and naproxen(Aleve and others) as well as certain steroids, some medication for type 2 diabetes, for example, rosiglitazone (Avandia) or pioglitazone (Actos), and some calcium channel blockers (CCBs).
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2017, 10:54 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: To determine if it CSR or a different type of PB, we really need to see the flow over a couple of cycles of waxing and waning, which will take a few minutes. You've zoomed in too far.

CSR shows a smooth reduction in flow followed by a central apnea, followed by a smooth increase in flow. All this repeated over and over. If the apnea episode is followed by a sharp recovery breath, then that is not CSR.

>>Disclaimer: I'm an engineer not a medical professional. Take my advice for what it's worth<<

Is this a better time frame?

https://imageshack.com/i/pnS9qvzop
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2017, 01:53 AM)holden4th Wrote: Is this a better time frame?

https://imageshack.com/i/pnS9qvzop

Looks to me like PB, not CSR.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree, this does not resemble CSR. I have an example you can consider:

[Image: EQz81TPh.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Given your cardiac history, you should be monitored by a cardiologist.
I don't know how things work in Oz; but an annual echocardiogram would seem appropriate.
(I too am an engineer -- so, unless you are a missile or a satellite, take what I say with a grain of salt.)
With an echo, the wall motion of the heart, the valve action and the ejection fraction can be estimated.

I have a friend who was in congestive heart failure several years ago. He became unable to lie down without coughing.
His ejection fraction was down to 30%. Today he is doing well with a LVEF of 70%. No surgery, just medications and a huge change in lifestyle.

It's my understanding that CSR is not a symptom of CF. There is a warning out that use of an ASV in certain patients with CF may be contraindicated. CSR originates in the brain. A modulation of the central ventilator drive -- a sort of oscillation of the PaCO2 trigger for respiration.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
mongo, for some unknown reason, holden is self treating. public hospital healthcare in australia, is free. The newly acquired bipap may even be causing the erratic breathing patterns.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2017, 10:37 PM)holden4th Wrote: My periodic breathing is on the increase and the last two nights has been over 14%. As someone who has had a heart issue (triple bypass in 2013) I am concerned that this might be CSR. Before I go racing off to the doctor, could the experts on this forum look at one of my PB events and tell me if the waveform indicates possible CSR and the possible onset of congestive heart failure.

like we said in the other forum

see a doctor for heart questions not rely on some RAD machine 

PB is not a precursor of anything that i am aware of
Post Reply Post Reply
Good info on CSR from the Resmed site:  http://www.resmed.com/us/en/blog/diagnos...ation.html

CSR is often linked to congestive heart failure--discussed in this article.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheynes stoke respiration, false flag or accurate? BDGold99 1 99 Yesterday, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  How bad is this really? CSA & Cheyne Stokes Little Olive 7 248 03-12-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 180 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 823 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Simultaneous Reporting of Cheyne-Stokes Respiration (CSR) and Central Apnea (CA) Aldiorg 3 293 02-19-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 329 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Respiration Rate wickedsleepy 11 503 02-08-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.