Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is This a Previously Used Machine?
RE: Is This a Previously Used Machine?
A new device may also automatically format your SD card, so be careful if the data is not already backed up. It happened to me. I briefly tried an ASV device with my SD card from Airsense 10, it formatted the card and deleted everything (interestingly it didn't happen when transitioning from Airsense 10 Autoset to VAuto).
Post Reply Post Reply
After reading this thread I went to my 1 month old Resmed Airsense 10/autoset machine and looked at how many hrs I have used over the month (therapy)and compared it to Machine run time and they did not jive. First thought was I maybe got a used machine but it was brand new right out of the box. The machine run time had longer than used therapy time and I had to think a little and then it dawned on me that the Resmed machines when stopped using has a 20- 30 minute approx cool down times when fan is just idling along. But it adds time to overall machine run time every time the mask is removed and my concern was resolved. So Machine run times can be found in the Clinical mode at the bottom of the page & is the most accurate time machine used.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all who straightened me out on multiple machines and cards. I apologise for the thread hijack.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2020, 11:03 AM)Billygoat Wrote: Let me see if I have this straight...I have a Resmed 10 Autoset in the house. I want to buy another to keep in my motorhome. In order to keep everything in order, I just use the one card for both machines? That would be a lot handier than packing and toting from the house to the motorhome every time we go camping. We have pretty much duplicated everything else we need for the two of them.

You can switch the card between machines, each time the card is inserted in to one of the machines it will record the machine serial number and other relevant information to the SD card.. Oscar will show the information, including date of when the card was put in the machine.

(09-02-2020, 11:29 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Each card has a CPAP's serial number associated with it.  Use a separate card for each machine or the serial number and its associated data will be overwritten.

The SD card does not have the serial number of the machine prior to it being installed in the machine for the first time.. 
Then when the SD card is swapped to a different machine it records the serial number / date / pressure settings, and other relevant information to the card.

It does not overwrite the previous data or machine serial number from the card when it is swapped, it keeps a running record of all changes up to the point where the SD card has reached its storage capacity.. then it is time for a new SD card to be put in to the machine, but the new card will start from scratch with the machine it is first put in, it will not have any of the previous data that is on the removed card. 
The data from an SD card can be downloaded to a hard drive - flash drive - external hard drive if you want to re-format the card to use it again in the machine instead of a new card, or if you want to use the SD card in a camera or other device.

If you look at my attached screenshot you will see that when I swapped my SD card from my previous loaner / test machine to the machine I purchased it has recorded the change, including the serial number and other details of the the new machine, whilst keeping the previous information it had from the old machine.
It still has all the daily data from the previous machine on the SD card as well, I have lost nothing from the information gathered of my CPAP use since day one. 

Swapping the card is actually the best way to log a machine change in to the Oscar program, it will then be there for future reference, rather than starting a new machine with a new SD card for those already using a CPAP machine.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2020, 11:07 AM)SideSleeper Wrote: Thanks for the advice on the card.  However the card I'm currently using has 5 years of use on it from me, plus 900 hours that must have been on it before.  How do you check the capacity?

Place the SD card in a card reader and connect it to your laptop or computer.

Open File Explorer. 

Find the SD card in the list of folders and connected devices, right click on the card location, click on Properties.. that will show you the total capacity of the SD card, and also the used and free capacity.

My recommendation would be if it is at about 90% capacity then replace it with a new card, or download all the data to a special folder you can create specifically to save your CPAP data to.. and then after saving it you can format the SD card for re-use in the machine (make certain it has actually saved it to the folder before wiping the SD cad though).
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
Ockrocket, can't find Properties.  My file in Documents is named OSCAR_Data and contains the following:  Profiles, Screenshots, Layout, Preferences, Profiles.  I thought I had found this info some time ago, but went into the clinicians menu and didn't see it there.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2020, 03:17 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: Ockrocket, can't find Properties.  My file in Documents is named OSCAR_Data and contains the following:  Profiles, Screenshots, Layout, Preferences, Profiles.  I thought I had found this info some time ago, but went into the clinicians menu and didn't see it there.

Did you get your SD card out of your machine?

Lock the SD card so your computer or laptop can't write other data to it (don't forget to unlock it again before putting it back in your CPAP)

Place the SD card in a card reader, connect it to the computer / laptop.

Open File Explorer and look for the SD card down the left hand column of main folders and connected devices.
Once you find it then right click on it, this will open a box with options of what you can see and do with the SD card.. select Properties to see the used and available space on the card. 

This works for all drives and folders on or connected to the computer or laptop.

You are not looking for a current folder on your computer, it is the SD card you need to connect to the computer to be able to see the available and used capacity of the card.

Tried to add screenshot or two of what you will be looking for, but it says even my cut down screenshots are too large in file size.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
The new machine I got had 3&1/2 hours on it.
The nurse said it was brand new and had never been used by another patient. 
Everything was in plastic bags, but she said she opened it to give me the choice of which machine I wanted. She did say the other ones had a limited use, only a few nights use and they had been disinfected.  I was going to take the Resmed come hell or high water anyway.  However, it makes you wonder why it has 3&1/2 hours on it.  Now, I can't blame the data card as she took it out of a wrapper. 
However, it may well have been in the hospital being shown & demonstrated to others and they chose other machines.  It had a clean hospital smell when I got it home.  I was asked to try the machines on offer (though I knew what I wanted, I thought I would be difficult and say I wasn't sure.  She said to my surprise to take them home and make up my mind which one I wanted.  I ended up with three machine home for test.  I chose the Resmed Autosense10 as I intended to anyway) so that is why I ended up with three machines at home to test.
So maybe it was just a few people trying the machine that put 3 hours onto it.  She let me try all the machines in hospital for ten minutes each, while she saw other patients in another room, popping back between patients to set me up with another machine.  
Now, the reason she wanted me to be sure I had the machine I would be happy with is I was to be partly discharged from care as I did so well.  They had to partly discharge me as in this country you have to be seen every three years to be checked to keep your licence. 
However, as I never had any problems for years and did so well, they were just seeing me for the sake of seeing me! 
So they decided I was to be partly discharged, but they couldn't do that with the old Resperonics machine I had as it didn't record enough data.  They could see I used my machine (average of 7&1/2 hrs) and I never complained about tiredness or anything.  They said they would download my data every now and again just to check how I was doing.  As far as I can see they never have.  Doesn't mean they haven't done so.  However, my machine is turned off as soon as I am awake, so unless they have a computer doing it through the night they won't have downloaded anything. 
Anyway, there was 3&1/2 hrs on my one when I got the Resmed and there is no reason why she would lie to me about it being new as she did say the other two had been used for a couple of nights and returned, then dissinfected.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still a little confused (can't help that, I'm old!) about SD cards. Getting ready to set up my new Airsense For Her and it didn't come with an SD card. When I asked the DME she said I didn't need one as it was digital and they could read what they needed. This is a new DME office to me and I didn't get into a conversation with her about it. I have a barely used SD card that I believe I used for a few days on my current PR machine. How do I wipe that clean? I'd like to be able to use it in the new machine since it is a more expensive one and I can't get the better quality ones in our small town.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can format it in your PC.  Use a FAT32 format if prompted.   Or, you can format it from your CPAP's clinician's menu.

P.S.: Your DME is blowing you some smoke!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,144 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,790 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,319 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  previously had more data showing TaxFreeira 2 472 02-15-2022, 01:59 AM
Last Post: TaxFreeira
  Hello, 1st time on the board to post. Have previously accessed the manuals. CW3GTC 9 1,276 11-26-2021, 02:49 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,753 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  previously diagnosed, expertise requested for data interpretation nappyhair2 21 3,139 11-30-2017, 07:35 AM
Last Post: nappyhair2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.