Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is a BIPAP needed for me? BIPAP at lower pressure works better
Is a BIPAP needed for me? BIPAP at lower pressure works better
For over two weeks, been trying out a BIPAP given to me by my doctor. I am trying to find out, how a BIPAP is helping have LESS OA events, but most of the night it is at lowest pressure of EPAP5, IPAP8. It rarely goes up high.

My APAP was all over the place, always jumping up high, then back down, and I was having a lot more events on the APAP. But then some nights, my APAP was doing good at low pressures too. But the BIPAP seems more consistent at keeping my airway open, even while using low pressures.

Can anyone provide an explanation?

My leaks though, are all over the place, and it appears when i wake up, they stop. And when I wake up and leak stops, look at the flow rate....It appears more jagged for some reason. See second screenshot....Why is that?
[Image: q7hBggX.png][Image: tRevxFn.png]
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is a BIPAP needed for me? BIPAP at lower pressure works better
The more defined flow rate during periods of low leak is because the machine can better detect your respiration and events in the absence of leaks. I think you have given this mask a fair trial and you are failing to achieve a satisfactory fit that avoids large leaks. Others have suggested your event data may be less than reliable with the extent of leaks present, and I have to agree. I guess as long as we see some definition to the respiratory wave form there are probably no apnea occurring, but that is about all that can be discerned. I think the machine is keeping a low pressure in the presence of all those leaks because it really cannot detect cues like flow limitation and hypopnea that might be a cause for pressure increases. There is some odd behavior in the mask pressure chart which is just out of sight in the screenshot. Maybe move that up and let's see what is going on there. It may confirm the machine is losing control with all the leaks.

I think it's time to try a different mask.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, with a medium leak rate of 50 and 95% leak rate of 90, I can't see it doing any thing for you, need a new mask or major adjustments.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately, the only thing the BiPap is doing right now for you, is spraying your face with air all night. As noted, with the leaks as bad as they are, it can barely detect what it thinks is your breathing, but it really isn't sure. And certainly its not providing any therapy.

If i had to guess, i would say you are opening your mouth in your sleep, which is breaking the seal, and letting the leaks get out of hand. When you wake up, you close up, and it can fit again. Have you tried a chin strap at all?
Post Reply Post Reply
I know you've probably already read it. But go back and review Mask Primer in the link below. You might want to try a ResMed P10 pillow mask.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 22 447 03-17-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 0 51 03-17-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 272 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,364 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 202 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 5 398 03-14-2024, 07:45 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 78 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.