Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is anyone using any sleep tech (cooling pad, sheets, etc)
Is anyone using any sleep tech (cooling pad, sheets, etc)
I am considering buying a cooling pad for my mattress. Is anyone using any sleep tech outside of their CPAP to help get deeper sleep?

I would love to hear everyone's experiences with sleep tech or other sleep aids that have worked or did not work.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is anyone using any sleep tech (cooling pad, sheets, etc)
I use a sleep mask, silicone ear plugs, a heating pad under my mattress and an IQAir Cleanroom H13. Also my bedroom door is soundproof with those panels you see in recording studios.

I also have a special bed that I made to sleep efficiently on my stomach, but that's cause I got a spine problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, we have been a product called a ChilliPad (or now ChilliCub) for several years. It is a great product. It circulates water through the pad and the water temperature can be set anywhere between the fifties to over 100 degrees. 

One of the things critical to good sleep is having a cool to a cold bedroom (about 65 degrees or less). This temperature is easy to maintain in winter but difficult (and expensive) to achieve in the summer in most locations in the US. What many do not understand is that the room temperature is not the real goal, but the temperature that the body is exposed to is the goal. Therefore, we keep our pad set to about 60-65 degrees year around. That may sound cold, but it is not and the body quickly adapts to it and really helps with sleep. It is best to start warm (the reason that warm baths before bed are recommended), then cool down during the sleep hours, and then warm back up in the morning. There are products that have this capability and we tried one, but after serval nights of testing, we switched back to the ChilliPad.

Other items that help us are; a good sleep mask (one with deep eyecups, do not get one without them! Manta is an excellent product.), a white noise machine (based on current studies "pink" noise would be better, but it is more difficult to find). Also, a very dark room (if you can see your hand in front of your face there is too much light, therefore, the sleep mask is needed for most folks). No blue lights or ("daylight" light colored lights), but deep red or orange is OK (think campfire colors).

Make sure that the bed is comfortable for you and your partner. This is really important if you have chronic pain problems. If this applies, you may want to consider the newest bedframes on the market called "Zero-G". As we have discovered, this type of frame (developed by NASA for the Space Shuttle) is excellent at reducing pressure points and reducing back pain.
Post Reply Post Reply
I resorted to picking up a floor blower and adapting it to a duct to go under my sheets.  Keeps a good flow of air around me and keeps me cool on the crappiest of nights.  Got the idea from the below link.

Edit: not enough posts to do links.
Google
Summer Cooling With This DIY Bed Fan Hack
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2019, 10:35 AM)sptrout Wrote: Yes, we have been a product called a ChilliPad (or now ChilliCub) for several years. It is a great product. It circulates water through the pad and the water temperature can be set anywhere between the fifties to over 100 degrees. 

One of the things critical to good sleep is having a cool to a cold bedroom (about 65 degrees or less). This temperature is easy to maintain in winter but difficult (and expensive) to achieve in the summer in most locations in the US. What many do not understand is that the room temperature is not the real goal, but the temperature that the body is exposed to is the goal. Therefore, we keep our pad set to about 60-65 degrees year around. That may sound cold, but it is not and the body quickly adapts to it and really helps with sleep. It is best to start warm (the reason that warm baths before bed are recommended), then cool down during the sleep hours, and then warm back up in the morning. There are products that have this capability and we tried one, but after serval nights of testing, we switched back to the ChilliPad.
Just a word of warning Chilipad is backed up and shipping might take a while. Mine broke within a week but Kryo the makers of Chilipad tried to troubleshoot it with me... I did a pretty indepth video showing that it was in fact broken... the pump wasn't working. Kryo support mailed me out a replacement unit and I have 30 days to return the defective unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXNChaAYlio
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2019, 04:32 PM)Diotima245 Wrote:
(07-14-2019, 10:35 AM)sptrout Wrote: Yes, we have been a product called a ChilliPad (or now ChilliCub) for several years. It is a great product. It circulates water through the pad and the water temperature can be set anywhere between the fifties to over 100 degrees. 

Just a word of warning Chilipad is backed up and shipping might take a while. Mine broke within a week but Kryo the makers of Chilipad tried to troubleshoot it with me... I did a pretty indepth video showing that it was in fact broken... the pump wasn't working. Kryo support mailed me out a replacement unit and I have 30 days to return the defective unit.

I was not aware of any problems. They are in the process of introducing an entirely new product that will replace their older products. That may be a reason for them being backed up. We have had good luck with their products and would love to have an excuse to upgrade to their new product. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2019, 04:32 PM)Diotima24 Wrote: Just a word of warning Chilipad is backed up and shipping might take a while. Mine broke within a week but Kryo the makers of Chilipad tried to troubleshoot it with me... I did a pretty indepth video showing that it was in fact broken... the pump wasn't working. Kryo support mailed me out a replacement unit and I have 30 days to return the defective unit.

I just watched the YouTube video that you (?) recorded. A couple of comments:

1. Great, great idea using the temperature gun to measure the pad's temperature. I will be sure to remember that neat trick the next time we have a problem!
2. We have had problems in the past and we are now on our third system (over several years). Cleaning the internal parts of the system per their instructions have fixed similar problems that you recorded. Cleaning is a pain and I am usually way behind on that task. Another problem that we have encountered more recently with our new Zero-G bed is that small tubes in the pad can become pinched closed when the bed is in the Zero-G position. Since we discovered this problem we have been able to keep the pad's movement better controlled so it is no longer pinching. I believe that problem has been fixed with their new systems.

Since you have been working with their Customer Service I image that they ran had you run all the tests needed to confirm that the unit is broken. I know that can be difficult. Good luck with the replacement unit!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 73 9 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  Resmed Tech Support Jeremy H 11 1,331 03-20-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 205 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,360 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  A recommended sleep tech (hired) to try to study my screenshots? koy23 2 572 04-01-2023, 10:23 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.