Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is dreaming every night a sign of good sleep?
Is dreaming every night a sign of good sleep?
I have been making some changes to my Resmed settings, and other stuff also. Every single morning for the last week I am aware of my dream, which has never happened to me before. 

I am aware that dreaming is associated with REM sleep phases and there are several REM phases each night. I also notice I have more endurance for physical activity during this period, so totally think dreaming is the result of better sleep. Or better put, the fact that I am aware of the dreams is indicative of better sleep.

Wondering what others notice in this respect?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is dreaming every night a sign of good sleep?
definitely a good sign.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not so sure that my CPAP has anything to do with my dreams. But, I do take OTC sleep aids, and I'm pretty sure that they have something to do with them. 

Sometimes, I dream so hard, I wake up feeling worn-out. That's justification for me taking a late morning nap.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm often awakened by dreams, then it takes awhile to get back to sleep. So not too sure that's a good thing.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me dreaming is a good sign. If I dream I’m more rested overall.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dang nab it.....I'm doing something wrong! I'm still waiting for my sleep apnea therapy to make me feel better, and when I dream, I wake up feeling tired and worn-out. 

I can't catch a break........... Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect much can be deduced from the NATURE of our dreams.  Not in any 'what was the meaning' way, but simply whether they were happy, sad or scary.

I often awake from dreams that are violent, exhausting or involve strenuous effort. These are triggered by apneas and I reckon they result from my brain trying to rationalise the lack of oxygen. My brain makes up a story to explain the air starvation. It doesn't necessarily mean I had more apneas than usual, just that one or more of them were lengthy.

Some nights (such as last night, coincidentally) I have whole series of bad dreams one after the other, and I always feel rough the next day.

The bottle of Pinot Gris I worked my way through in the evening might have something to do with it ...
Post Reply Post Reply
My RT told me, as she was fitting me the first time, that if you can awaken after six-seven hours, but right after a dream, that is a sign of having had a decent night's sleep.  Happily, this has been my experience since starting PAP therapy.  I used to sleep well, or so I felt, just not that long, maybe 5.5-6 hours a night.  Initially after starting therapy, I began to sleep about 45-80 minutes longer, and I would awaken at the end of a dream.  Not so much any more, and I'm back to my usual 5.5-6.5 hours on average.  But, I do remember having dreamt more than I did Pre-T.

The literature states that REM sleep comes in a roughly 90 minute cycle.  I have recently awakened after dreaming only to find that I fell asleep after first getting into bed about 25 minutes earlier.  What's up with that!  Also, I believe it is established now that we can dream two or three times in the last 90 minutes of sleep, provided we have had good rest and normal cycles for the past 5 hours or more.  So, if you dream at, say, the seventh hour, and you normally get that much sleep on average, it is quite likely you'll awaken immediately during the dream (depending on the 'material'), or immediately afterwards having had the needed rest.
Post Reply Post Reply
As a former Philips Dreamstation user I can confirm the Resmed 10 autoset is far superior. I feel so much more comfortable and natural sleeping. DON'T GIVE UP!  Tweak those pressures and pay attention to the EPR setting for exhale. I was always below 2.0 AHI with the Dreamstation. I am averaging .67 with the Resmed.

P.S. I've found the AIRFIT P10 Nasal pillow mask to be the most comfortable
Post Reply Post Reply
"Is dreaming every night a sign of good sleep?"

And a possible associated question..
Is forgetting that you dreamt every night a sign of bad memory ?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep arturg 4 147 4 hours ago
Last Post: arturg
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,342 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
  [Symptoms] Good until 3am, then awake sadness AvocadoSniffer 2 133 04-12-2024, 12:04 AM
Last Post: AvocadoSniffer
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 10 783 04-03-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Sad [Pressure] Using BiPap Resmed Aircurve 10, still exhausted, good O2 Levels LordofKings 14 364 04-02-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: LordofKings
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 123 03-27-2024, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 110 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.