Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is it Normal For Oxygen to Drop with Heart Rate Increase?
Is it Normal For Oxygen to Drop with Heart Rate Increase?
I am wondering if it is normal for my oxygen to drop when my heart rate rises nearer to normal? My heart rate has been between 50-55 since I received my Pulse Oximeter about a month ago. Also before that while checking BP but wasn't able to record it. My oxygen has been low 90's-95 dipping into 80's occasionally. I was at 7cm CPAP pressure and slowly increased 7.2, 7.4 for approx. 12 days, now 8cm last few days. My heart rate has been brought closer to normal 60+ occasionally 70ish at 8cm. But this has caused my oxygen to stay pretty much lower and consistently below 94 running 91-92 with oxygen still dipping 80's occasionally. I was thinking better heart rate would mean better circulation thus better oxygen. Puzzled!
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is it Normal For Oxygen to Drop with Heart Rate Increase?
I have noticed with my use of the oximeter, that when my O2 drops, my heart rate increases. I think it is the body trying to pump more blood around.

So it could be the same with you. It is the O2 causing the rate increase vs the other way around.

It's actually rather cool how breathing works!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2012, 02:57 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I have noticed with my use of the oximeter, that when my O2 drops, my heart rate increases. I think it is the body trying to pump more blood around.

So it could be the same with you. It is the O2 causing the rate increase vs the other way around.

It's actually rather cool how breathing works!
Hi Paula, I am all over the map but viewing in 1 and 10 minute views I would lean to heart first more than oxygen first. Don't know what to make of it? Here is a full time photo,
[Image: 2012-11-09_1523.png]
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
It would make sense that the heart would appear to react first rather than the O2. It takes a few seconds or so for the O2 to be reflected in the reading.

My thoughts, and take that for what little it is worth, is to not worry about this. You may, however, want to mention this to the doc. Some folks do much better with supplemental O2 at night.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2012, 04:32 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: It would make sense that the heart would appear to react first rather than the O2. It takes a few seconds or so for the O2 to be reflected in the reading.

My thoughts, and take that for what little it is worth, is to not worry about this. You may, however, want to mention this to the doc. Some folks do much better with supplemental O2 at night.

Thank you for replies, I'll print off some graphs and see what he thinks.
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking at the chart, I would check on the amount of time spent with O2 below 88% and number of events that fall below that level.
I think the program will generate a statistics page that lists all that stuff.
I try to stay above 90% at all times and my pulse usually stays below 100, but that's just me. Wink
I'd be interested in what your doctor has to say.

Cheers!

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Those look like arousal spikes to me. How do they relate to your apnoea events? I am afraid that the timeline is too compressed to be sure about the duration of the drops and spikes, but at a guess, if you open out the timeline, you'll see that the heart rate reacts to a drop in O2 by spiking, not the other way around. As always, show them to your doc, but I can guess at what he'll say, even though I don't have your file. For the most part, relax until the doc says otherwise....
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the replies. Its been weeks, Doctor has the Graphs and more recent ones that I see are worse in my opinion. I even took the liberty to zoom in at the 10 minute view so he could see them better. He did reply stating my photos weren't that good, so I sent them a different way a few weeks ago and still no word. I'll run another overnight tonight and see what comes up, (or down!)!!!
See if this one works here,
[Image: 1-22-13a-1.jpg]
[Image: 01-22-13e.png]
[Image: 01-22-13b.png]

I'm just learning so to me they look bad. There was only one data break and I didn't show it in these photos.
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
This looks a bit like anoxia drops when given at that detail - again, you should import it into Spleepyhead for the appropriate day and see where it corresponds to AHI events if at all (likely slightly after an event, due to mis-setting timers, and the slowness of the reading compared to the CPAP readings).

What I would like to rule out is noise from finger movements and the like. Do you tape the fingerling to your finger to avoid dislodging it? Twitching and movement can easily lead to noise, but usually it gives out a null reading - this is a bit more like an O2sat drop from something - some sort of event or the like. The question is what, and for your clinician to diagnose that he'd need the printout or data form both the oxymeter and the CPAP in a format that could correlate the two together. If he has Sleepyhead then a combined file can do the trick (via e-mail or memory stick) if not, you need to import the sO2sat data into Sleepyhead and the cpap data for that night as well, and it will prepare the appropriate printout report for you.

BTW, looking at all the other ouchies you have, it could fit the pattern of certain meds and their interactions as well - have a look into that, please.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it's just that when you have an apnea, your O2 level drops and your pulse rate goes up.

I don't know how much of the pulse rate is due to O2 dropping and how much is due to your hindbrain saying "OMG, someone's strangling me, better go into panic mode and dump stress hormones into the blood."
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 235 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 206 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,408 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 113 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 415 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 851 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.