Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: F&P Pilairo Q or ResMed Mirage Activa
Humidifier: PR System One
CPAP Pressure: 14 - 20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Former ResMed S8 Autoset II user

Sex: Male

Is it OK to use multiple DME's?
My insurance requires a 15% copay for in-network expenses and a 40% copay out of network. My doctor has recommended a preferred provider, which is a national DME that has offices everywhere. I'm concerned that their prices may be very high, so I'm considering using an online DME for any expenses that I don't have insurance coverage for.

Does the DME own your prescription, the way that a pharmacy owns a prescription for your pills? Would using a second DME require transferring my prescription, or can two DME's provide service at once?
04-24-2012 10:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
greatunclebill Offline

Members-b

Machine: Respironics System one Auto A-Flex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: System one
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreViewer

Other Comments: quattro fx full face

RE: Is it OK to use multiple DME's?
(04-24-2012 10:45 AM)big_dave Wrote:  My insurance requires a 15% copay for in-network expenses and a 40% copay out of network. My doctor has recommended a preferred provider, which is a national DME that has offices everywhere. I'm concerned that their prices may be very high, so I'm considering using an online DME for any expenses that I don't have insurance coverage for.

Does the DME own your prescription, the way that a pharmacy owns a prescription for your pills? Would using a second DME require transferring my prescription, or can two DME's provide service at once?

first of all, a pharmacy does not own your prescription. you can take your bottle at any time to a new pharmacy and ask them to transfer remaining refills to them. they simply call the old pharmacy and have them fax or send them your prescription. if your insurance allows on-line dme's, i don't see why the same thing can't happen. the easier thing is to call your doctor's nurse and ask her to get another prescription for you for the items you want to get on-line. when you explain what you are doing they should send it to you or fax to your new supplier without problems. anytime you get a prescription, get it in hand so you can take it where you want to. if you're going to 2 places, ask for 2 prescriptions.
04-24-2012 10:57 AM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Make copies of the prescription, too. Keep them on file in case they are ever needed.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-24-2012 11:18 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

Some online suppliers will obtain the script directly from the doctor for you once you've placed your order.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-24-2012 09:53 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  waking up multiple time rhodesengr 8 1,018 03-03-2016 03:44 PM
Last Post: robertbuckley
  Multiple sleep tests roym 17 3,596 09-10-2015 11:13 PM
Last Post: PollCat
  [Diagnosis] MSLT(multiple sleep latency test) then & now woozie38 1 791 02-03-2015 08:03 PM
Last Post: woozie38