Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is it OK to use multiple DME's?
Is it OK to use multiple DME's?
My insurance requires a 15% copay for in-network expenses and a 40% copay out of network. My doctor has recommended a preferred provider, which is a national DME that has offices everywhere. I'm concerned that their prices may be very high, so I'm considering using an online DME for any expenses that I don't have insurance coverage for.

Does the DME own your prescription, the way that a pharmacy owns a prescription for your pills? Would using a second DME require transferring my prescription, or can two DME's provide service at once?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is it OK to use multiple DME's?
(04-24-2012, 10:45 AM)big_dave Wrote: My insurance requires a 15% copay for in-network expenses and a 40% copay out of network. My doctor has recommended a preferred provider, which is a national DME that has offices everywhere. I'm concerned that their prices may be very high, so I'm considering using an online DME for any expenses that I don't have insurance coverage for.

Does the DME own your prescription, the way that a pharmacy owns a prescription for your pills? Would using a second DME require transferring my prescription, or can two DME's provide service at once?

first of all, a pharmacy does not own your prescription. you can take your bottle at any time to a new pharmacy and ask them to transfer remaining refills to them. they simply call the old pharmacy and have them fax or send them your prescription. if your insurance allows on-line dme's, i don't see why the same thing can't happen. the easier thing is to call your doctor's nurse and ask her to get another prescription for you for the items you want to get on-line. when you explain what you are doing they should send it to you or fax to your new supplier without problems. anytime you get a prescription, get it in hand so you can take it where you want to. if you're going to 2 places, ask for 2 prescriptions.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Make copies of the prescription, too. Keep them on file in case they are ever needed.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Some online suppliers will obtain the script directly from the doctor for you once you've placed your order.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trouble with multiple masks jlpool 5 702 11-28-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: DaveL
Sad Big Regression - high resp rates prior to multiple wake ups a night FordGuy84 10 862 11-06-2023, 12:25 PM
Last Post: FordGuy84
  Multiple surgeries, consistent BiPAP user, still struggling with exhaustion erica721 5 721 11-03-2023, 09:18 AM
Last Post: erica721
  [Treatment] Waking up worse despite multiple changes, life feels awful davigalindo 10 959 10-26-2023, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  has anyone else get heart arrythmia after apnea multiple events Jessher 2 399 10-15-2023, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] O2 ring - multiple sessions during the night larrykay 1 643 07-04-2023, 12:58 AM
Last Post: larrykay
Question [Equipment] AS 11 turns on by itself midday multiple times bdcox65 2 1,476 06-16-2023, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Been There

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.