Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is it OSA? and more mask help...
Is it OSA? and more mask help...
Hello again

I seem to be having increasing mask difficulty and, although my AHI scores are low, I'm feeling less rested and sleep is very interrupted.  I've attached a screen shot for last night.  Something I can't get out of my head is wondering whether I have OSA at all.  Is this something that can be seen from these charts? Score on home study was AHI of 18 with significant desats but I had no further investigations and was issued an APAP machine by a private doctor. The scores now seem so low and with pressures that are also quite low that I just wonder whether the therapy is genuinely needed or whether I have just convinced myself it is.  This may be due to the fact that although I do think I felt the benefit of it after the first few weeks I have been really struggling with it lately. 

The biggest problem is getting a mask that is comfortable, quiet enough and not leaking all over my face.  The amara view worked fine for me for weeks but now I just can't seem to stop it leaking.  I'm also getting a dribbling sensation down the bottom of the mask when on my side and it just flaps and pfffts around the side of my mouth constantly waking me despite trying every combination of strap adjustments imaginable.  I've tried the airfit f20 and the airtouch cushion but neither seem to keep a good seal and the headgear digs into my neck.  Last night I tried the dreamwear nasal cushion but woke myself with mouth snorts then managed to tear my hose when  trying to change back to the amara view.  Managed to patch it up with gaffer tape but it is hissing a bit.  New hose on order but now very grumpy.

Any help appreciated

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is it OSA? and more mask help...
G'day csl1.  The fact that your numbers are low now indicates that the machine is doing its job. Your ahi without a machine was 18, and if you were to stop using the machine it would go straight back to 18. There is still some room for improvement and I think you could increase the minimum pressure to 7.0 and see a further reduction on obstructive events.

The mask is the hardest part of this whole deal. Every face is different, and they tend to subtly change shape over time. So a mask that suits you now might not suit in a year's time. Some people have a collection of masks and use them in rotation, depending on how they are going. Can I suggest you read the mask primer which will give you a very thorough discussion of the options.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,207 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,747 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,093 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,423 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,830 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,528 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.