Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is it okay to set min and max pressure as the same number?
RE: Is it okay to set min and max pressure as the same number?
Thanks for the all the great replies folks.  A little update...I was really frustrated a few nights ago with this process. I finally simply set the machine at 6 in cpap mode, (even though they had told me 8 was my magic number) put on my P10 nasal pillows, taped my mouth shut with Somnifix tape, and went to sleep.  Although I woke up about three or four times during the night very briefly with my mouth filling with air, the rest of the time I actually SLEPT.  And my AHI was only 1.9. I can live with that!  I was really demoralized before this night but now I'm more hopeful. The next day I went in for my appointment to get my prescription.  The tech had faith in me and said I can play with my settings to get the right fit.  He said if 6 is working, I can just stick with it.  I might experiment with even lower pressures to see if that helps with the aerophagia, but it's tolerable at 6 I think.  I'll see how tonight goes.   

On Thursday I get the new Dreamwear FFM.  I'm hoping that helps with the mouth leaks, and that I continue to adjust to this process.

Thanks again, it great to find a community of helpful people.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you knew what pressure you needed, you might consider setting the machdine to CPAP mode.

However, I don't think you're there yet. And you cannot go by what the pressure is when you wake up. The machine increases and decreases pressure all through the night. The only way to see that is to extract the data. Think downloading Sleepyhead and looking at what is really going on - your AHI, the kinds of events, the pressure adjustments your machine makes, most importantly the 90 or 95% pressure if you don't like the machine adjusting it in response to your apnea events. Leave it wide oopen for a month and then decide if you want to make the change to CPAP mode - and then look to the 90-95% pressure as a starting fixed pressure setting.

BTW, most folks would think 6 WAY too low a pressure (me included - I feel smothered at anything below an 8).

OMMOHY
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I've been in cpap mode, with pressure 6.  I don't feel smothered at all.  When I use pressure of 8 which they said removes 95% for my events, it feels too strong and I start swallowing air and getting massive mouth leaks.  No, 6 is good for me for now.  Once I get my own machine I'll do the Sleepyhead thing for sure.  I could easily go get an SD card but I'll just wait...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High Number of Central Apneas HungryPanda 5 453 02-13-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Number of Events? Heaviside 8 333 02-12-2024, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  S10 REF Number The Mask Bandit 2 200 02-05-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] New to APAP. High number of "Clear Airway events". Not sure what to do. lujojo 17 1,133 01-30-2024, 10:14 AM
Last Post: lujojo
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 323 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,641 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 923 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.