Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is it really necessary?
Is it really necessary?
Is it really necessary to power down the Resmed S9 to remove the SD card? When the RT was going over the initial "get to know your machine" meeting, she removed it a couple of times without powering it down, but the instructions say to do just that. Does it cause card corruption or something?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is it really necessary?
I always power down my machine prior to removing the SD card.

There is a chance of data corruption if you don't.

I guess this is a result of all my years messing around with computers.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I never do. I do, however, wait a bit after turning it off in the morning. Usually I turn off the machine, do my morning business, then get it when I return to the bedroom. That way it is sure to be finished writing.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The book instruct "disconnect the S9 device from power outlet before removing the card"
From time to time, the S9 can get screwy and unplug the machine can help reset the machine
Normally I don,t bother disconnecting before removing the card, this topic been discussed before and there are opinions on both sides
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2013, 05:51 PM)zonk Wrote: The book instruct "disconnect the S9 device from power outlet before removing the card"
From time to time, the S9 can get screwy and unplug the machine can help reset the machine
Normally I don,t bother disconnecting before removing the card, this topic been discussed before and there are opinions on both sides

Well I'll just play it safe then and disconnect the power before removing it. I know how finicky things can be in computer world.

Just so you know, I did a search on the subject before asking, but didn't find any results.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2013, 07:52 PM)blebs Wrote: Well I'll just play it safe then and disconnect the power before removing it. I know how finicky things can be in computer world.

Just so you know, I did a search on the subject before asking, but didn't find any results.
Glad you have asked, it does help folk who lurk/read and don,t ask any questions but wanting to know

As for disconnecting or not before removing the card, makes no difference, Murphy Law still apply ... 'If anything can go wrong, it will'.

The instructions in the manual telling clinicians what to tell their patients prior sending the card to them But as I've access the manual (thanks to the board) and don,t have US type insurance coverage, I don,t send my card to any clinician or need them to change the time on the clock

Post Reply Post Reply
My machine beeps at me all day if I take the SD card out without turning it off. I also think it has something to do with how the machine boots, it may look first on the SD card for instructions and then its internal instructions. Like pressures and ramp values. Just a guess on my part.
Lee
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2013, 09:13 PM)zonk Wrote:
(05-31-2013, 07:52 PM)blebs Wrote: Well I'll just play it safe then and disconnect the power before removing it. I know how finicky things can be in computer world.

The instructions in the manual telling clinicians what to tell their patients prior sending the card to them

I won't be sending it to them either. Hey, did you notice that they tell you to unplug the unit, remove the card, place in protective envelope, but NEVER tell you to plug the machine in again? Laugh-a-lot

Post Reply Post Reply
My thought on unplugging it is: I never unplug and turn off my laptop before removing a memory card. Most of them are "hot swappable" meaning you don't even have to "eject" it, just pull it out. I would also think there would be more of a risk of an arc from unplugging and replugging the machine each and every day.

But that's just my opinion. And I am also lazy so the idea of doing something I don't have to do? Not doing it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2013, 05:51 PM)zonk Wrote: From time to time, the S9 can get screwy and unplug the machine can help reset the machine
this what I,m talking about, by coincidence happen this morning, just few minutes ago
"Sleep Quality" shows usage 7.8* hours which is correct and Sleep Report" shows usage 1.6 hours also usage and other data does not change if period changed to week or year

switched off the machine from power outlet, waited few seconds and switched on the power
voila ... all data matched and all good again

* 7.8 hours is one of the best night so far since started CPAP some two and half years ago

now how about put the kettle on for a nice cup of morning tea Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.