Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Update on my progress
Update on my progress
Hey all!  

So, I have no idea if anyone really remembers my story, but after everything that has happened, I figured I would drop a line for how things have been going.  My original thread (oh my its bad....) can be found here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ld-i-panic

Anyway, March has been.. well, lets just say its been an eye opener and hopefully, a life saver. At the end of February, I was dealing with really bad reflux, chest pain, burping, and just lots of unhappiness. On march 2nd, I went to urgent care, I figured I would be more proactive, and get checked out; they did an EKG which looked ok, but didn't have any solid idea for sure. On March 3rd, I noticed that things felt worse, and I noticed that my left arm was hurting, very unexpectedly. That was the final straw, and I got driven down to the hospital. Of course, you breath the words chest pain, and they act.  

When I got checked in for my EKG, my blood pressure was 175/100 (a massive problem itself), and laying down it was beating over 100. They brought me back, did blood, chest x-ray, and holter monitor. Admitted me overnight for observation, though the rapid Troponin was negative.  Ironically, I had my CPAP shuttled to me, but slept horribly with it (kinda wonder what the constant monitor looked like on that...).  The next day, I had a regular echo done (reported EF of 60-65%), and was told that I didn't have a heart attack, and to just follow up with the doc in a week.  They did put me on Lisinopril due to the BP (and maybe something else), and sent me home. 

Following up with the doc, wasn't too bad, but he did report that I had a bit of thickening in my heart muscle.  Given than he is a profession specializing in heart disease, I trust his lack of current worry, but it still is always on my mind.  I have been working with another doctor, which has been its own stress (but thankfully, most everything there looks good.

To be frank, I think my biggest problem right now, more than even underlying heart worries, is just health anxiety in general.  For those who remember, I suffer it badly, and even now it is a significant issue. Looking at things like the BNP level from my hospital visit (being elevated but normal at 81) makes me worry about heart failure already.  I went through another scare following the hospital after a ab ultrasound and resulting blood work (UT wasn't perfect, but bloodwork came back spot on). I have been focusing on eating WAY better, having less salt, and getting more exercise, but the anxiety looms still.  I still have chest pain, but now can chalk it up to a combination of anxiety and costocondritus

Now of course, how it does it relate to this board?  Sadly, I have been fighting my masks pretty badly.  Following the hospital visit, I have started having significant mouth breathing issues.  I think I finally found a chin strap that is working, and am getting my mask fit down. Ironically, I think some of my bad nights (where I had 40% large leak) has made my anxiety worse, due to the bad sleep).  That said, last night was another good night:

[Image: mkulBtC.jpg]

Interestingly enough, since my visit and starting my new lifestyle, I do see that my breathing has slowed from 18-19BPM, to 15.5 as reported last night.  No idea if its the weight (likely over 7-8lb lost at this point) or BP meds, but I think several people here would likely agree that is a good sign. I still hold my breath when I roll around, and I commonly have at least 2 centrals when I fall asleep (but I know this is normal.. I wish these didn't even count, but oh well). And even better... best of all.. I am not obsessing over my results any more.  Ill see how my leaks are, and that's about all I worry about right now.  No more CSR, or periodic, or any of that crap. 

SO yeah, TLBig GrinR.. I got my issues, but I think this machine (and board), saved my life (like no doubt, a lot of people here can say).  And if you made it this far.. thanks for taking the time to read it all!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Update on my progress
Chart looks good. Go have a beer.

Too-funny
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2018, 09:15 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Chart looks good. Go have a beer.

Too-funny

Hmm.. i am afraid it doesn't go with my doctors orders.. but.. sentiment appreciated. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Madcat207

Your chart is good.

I think the wake up call for most of us is this diagnosis and how an improvement on our weight and healthy eating and living does contribute and help towards reduction in AHI and produces general wellbeing.

Long may we all adhere.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Given how bad i was getting, i genuinely think that the CPAP has saved my life.. be it from further heart damage, or just being able to physically function in the day (nothing like falling asleep at the wheel.... ugh). I still can't get over all my other worries, but i know this was a huge help..
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,462 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 365 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Phillips update. Big Guy 0 271 01-29-2024, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Firmware Update 4600.10.7 hobbycamguy 4 579 01-15-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: hobbycamguy
  So Much Progress! sleepygoo 0 340 10-17-2023, 09:53 AM
Last Post: sleepygoo
  [Equipment] Airsense Autoset 11 FW Update GrumGrum 0 452 10-16-2023, 03:33 PM
Last Post: GrumGrum
  AS11 AutoSet auto update Gideon 10 2,991 09-28-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: stevew77

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.