Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is mouth leak tricking my AHI ?
Is mouth leak tricking my AHI ?
Hi
I've been using my CPAP for about 2 months and i get a AHI between 1-2 and feel happy about that.
But could a mouth leak trick my AHI results ? I read somewhere that if you have many flat tops in the Leak rate diagram i could mean just that.
I use a Dreamwear nasal mask.

Regards

/per
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is mouth leak tricking my AHI ?
Your machine can accommodate a leak up to 24 L/min. If your leak is over 24 the machine can't generate sufficient airflow and can't effectively diagnose or treat your apneas and hypopneas. So the question is: How bad is the leak, and for how long does it occur?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the flat topped leak typically means mouth leaks. During a large leak, the machine cannot keep up and the "echos" from the air pulses are not read correctly. It can report either a too high (reads false ones) or too low (cannot detect events).
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
As PaulaO2 noted, when their are large leaks, the APAP can't tell if you are having central or obstructive apneas. An APAP does not treat central apneas, so if it can't tell one from another it can't tell if it should up your pressure in response to an event, so it doesn't and you don't get the adjustment to treatment pressure you need.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2018, 02:12 AM)Djabag Wrote: I read somewhere that if you have many flat tops in the Leak rate diagram i could mean just that.

It's worth investigating. Can you post leak rate graph for us to look at?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi
Hope you can make something out of this. Please let me know if you need any more screenshot..

Regards
/per
Post Reply Post Reply
Whatever you did worked. There are no significant leaks in the most recent data. Looks great!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
All the numbers look good, and to answer your original question, leak rates that low won't affect the AHI. The manufacturer claims it can reliably measure AHI up to a leak rate of 24 L/min. Yours are down around 10 L/min, so you're more than good.

However ...

The leaks that you do have could be causing you to wake up. You see those periods of time where the leak rate is at around 10 L/min for several minutes, then it suddenly drops to near zero? That could be you, awoken by the air hissing out of your mouth, followed by you falling back asleep again after you close your mouth back up. These awakenings might be so subtle that you have no memory of them, but they could ruin your night's sleep and make you more tired than you otherwise might be. Compared to not using a CPAP machine, this is a big improvement in reducing the number of awakenings, but it may not be as good as it can get.

If this is something that's a concern for you, try a chin strap, or better yet a full face mask. My situation was similar to yours, I dreaded the idea of a full face mask, but eventually I tried it found out it's not so bad. But best of all I finally started to feel rested during the day, and after a while my fragmented sleep finally faded away.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Stilll have some thoughts about the mouth leak could effect my AHI. The last months my AHI gone down from around 2 to under 1.

If you look at my screenshot do it indicate any mouth leak? I still have some problems with being a bit sleepy during late afternoon.

Kind regards
/per

Kind regards
Post Reply Post Reply
You have a couple of places where it looks like mouth leaks. However the leaks are within the the machines limits for detecting events. I don't think they have any effect on your AHI on this chart.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 3 109 3 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 2 43 4 hours ago
Last Post: emile.leplattenier
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 2 61 10 hours ago
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 2 56 Yesterday, 12:27 PM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 85 Yesterday, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 4 191 03-16-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 132 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.