Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is my CPAP machine catching all my apnea events?
Is my CPAP machine catching all my apnea events?
Hi all,

It's been a few months now that I've been using my CPAP machine. After some mask struggles and such, I now feel pretty good about my mask and set-up.

However I've noticed over the months of looking at my SleepyHead data, that there appear to be some apnea events that my machine doesn't flag. I turned on the user flag option, but of course the machine still thinks my AHI is doing well. I've posted some examples from last night that are all fairly standard for what I'm seeing most every night. Are these really apnea events that I should be worried about? Or am I being overly paranoid?

I also don't understand why sometimes the machine flags Flow Limitations, that don't seem any different on the graph to me than anything else I see...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Full Night View:

User Flags:

No Flag:

OA Flags from machine:

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is my CPAP machine catching all my apnea events?
The machines arn't perfect and they miss an event or two at times. The AHI is only made of the OA,H, and CA events. It doesn't include user flags or flow limitation events.
Speaking of flow limitation events don't feel alone. I don't know anyone who knows what Respironics uses as a guide line for a flow limitation event. On the Resmed machines they don't use events but put the flow limitations on a flow chart. It at least gives you some idea of whats going on. For reference Respironics uses a 40% reduction in flow over 10 seconds for a hypopnea event.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
What you are showing is that you still have a little untreated obstruction but it is not terrible. Raising the min pressure a little more would help address those. I would try 12. Only you can decide if it makes your sleep better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks both for your insight!

Would a Resmed machine catch more of these events? My worry is that what seem to me to be apnea events aren't caught by the machine, and thus the auto pressure isn't increased in response...

I tried to up my auto pressure a few weeks ago to minimum 12 and had an AHI of 1.7 over three nights. Tried it again last night and got 0.35. Much better, but still some of this type of erratic breathing.

Or am I just overthinking all this, because I really like looking at data?

Thanks for your help!!
Post Reply Post Reply
There is always going to be erratic flow from time to time. Holding your breath while turning over will cause it as well as grunting and coughing. Your never going to get a perfect flow all night. Remember an Obstructive event is 10 seconds long and 80% flow limitation and a Hypopnea is between 40 and 80% flow limitation for less than 10 seconds. A clear event will be no flow at all for at least 10 seconds. Anything less than those 3 and it's not an event.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
fs12 Wrote:Or am I just overthinking all this, because I really like looking at data?

That's very likely the case. Smile Your AHI reading is commendably low, and the events you've highlighted are all very short duration. Trying to chase the elusive zero is the way to insanity. Loco

On the other hand, your flow chart and inhale/ exhale times show a small deficiency in exhale time. You'd normally expect exhale to take up to twice as long as inhale, but it's the other way round for you. As you are ready to sleep, try consciously to slow your breathing, make it even and consistent with exhale slightly longer than inhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info WallaWalla. Knowing that is actually really helpful. Smile

Looking at the data in more detail, it seems a lot of the "events" I'm seeing are in the 5-8 second range, so that's why they aren't being flagged by the machine. I do turn over every so often in the night, so maybe it's more attributable to that.

Thanks DeepBreathing! - I had a hunch that maybe I'm just reading into things a bit too much, but it helps to get validation on that... Big Grin My AHI has been 1.5 or less for the last month, so I'll just be thankful that the PAP therapy seems to be working well for me.

I wonder if the low exhale time is related to not using the EPAP/Flex setting? Exhaling doesn't bother me as I'm falling asleep, but I wonder if it is harder for me to exhale when I'm asleep. I had tried the Flex setting early on but didn't tolerate it well - the difference in pressure did not feel to react quickly enough to my inhale/exhale. Perhaps I'll try it again, now that I'm more used to the machine and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the help and suggestions! Much appreciated. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I am wondering why your IPAP and EPAP are the same? The first chart showed the median for both to be 11. Is this because it is a dreamstation?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2018, 04:53 PM)gwc2795 Wrote: I am wondering why your IPAP and EPAP are the same? The first chart showed the median for both to be 11. Is this because it is a dreamstation?

It's because flex is not being used.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I wasn't using the Flex setting, as I had a really rough time with it when I tried it early on in therapy. I tried it again last night and it worked decently well. Going to give it a few nights to see how things settle in.

Bumping the minimum pressure to 12 has helped again. My average AHI for the past three nights is 0.78. Smile

Thanks for everyone's help!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 82 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 331 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 14 375 03-26-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 296 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 619 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.