Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is my Dreamstation malfunctioning?
Is my Dreamstation malfunctioning?
Hello, I've recently changed my CPAP machine from Resmed Airsense 10 to Philips Dreamstation.

My masks are Philips Wisp and Dreamwear.

When I was on Airsense 10, my leak rate would vary everyday,
some days as high as 40~50; which means my therapy may not be working properly.
I've been advised by Apnea members to seal my mouth by using chin straps or the "Tongue Suck" technic.

Strange thing is that, for all the five nights with Dreamstation,
my mask fit is 100% and no leak at all.
I find this record somewhat strange, as it states on the Philips site that 100% mask fit is v. rare.
Also, I cannot believe my leak rate dropped to 0, just by changing the CPAP machine.

The fact that mask fit and leak rate does not change at all per day also seems very odd.

Has anyone have experienced similiar experience with Dreamstation?

I am v. worried my machine may not be working properly.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is my Dreamstation malfunctioning?
I've only had my DreamStation a week and I am new to CPAP. I see the same thing on mine despite know that I have had leaks. It might be that the leaks were small and short enough to no get recorded. Or it might be that I am using a F&P mask that the DreamStation does not recognize. I am going to see my sleep therapist tomorrow and will ask for clarification and report back.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2016, 11:57 PM)chill Wrote: I've only had my DreamStation a week and I am new to CPAP. I see the same thing on mine despite know that I have had leaks. It might be that the leaks were small and short enough to no get recorded. Or it might be that I am using a F&P mask that the DreamStation does not recognize. I am going to see my sleep therapist tomorrow and will ask for clarification and report back.

It's a relief that another Dreamstation user is experiencing the same thing. I am living outside of US and I have to send the machine to the U.S. if I need to get it fixed.

Like you, I know I've had leaks in my sleep as my wife witnessed the sound of irregular air venting. However nothing appears on the Dream Mapper. However, I do not think it's a matter with the mask, as I am using Philips masks.

I am also searching to find the reason to this matter. I'll update also when I have some thing!

Other Dreamstation users, your assistance and advice are welcome!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same show on the Dreammapper with my Dreamstation, I have been using this machine for few days.
it only shows large leak in Dreammapper.
When I plot the data to sleepy head, it show my avg leak rate is 1.77
90% Leak Rate is 4.00 and % of time above Leak Rate threshold is 2.49%.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2016, 01:40 AM)rajiray Wrote: I have the same show on the Dreammapper with my Dreamstation, I have been using this machine for few days.
it only shows large leak in Dreammapper.
When I plot the data to sleepy head, it show my avg leak rate is 1.77
90% Leak Rate is 4.00 and % of time above Leak Rate threshold is 2.49%.

Then Dream Mapper must be showing only the large leaks.
Funny thing is that 3 people in this thread have experienced 100% mask fit and Philips Dream Mapper site states that 100% mask fit is rare.

Thank you for sharing your info. Can you tell me how you can input your data to Sleepy Head? I had known that Sleepy Head does not support Dream Station.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use the beta 1.0.0 that support dreamstation.
Import is quite straight forward with the sd card into your PC.
I like the simple of dreammapper on my phone that quickly bluetooth the overnight data with a fingertip while I still hanging on bed
If I need more detail on the events, or when that happens, definitely will need to go to something else like sleepy head.
Post Reply Post Reply
DreamStation and Dreammapper only show large leaks. In two years using both DreamStation and a PS1. I've only seen less than 100% twice. And that was when the hose came offRolleyes

However Sleeyhead shows the correct leak rate.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
What DreamMapper is showing is "mask fit" and not the actual leak rate so comparing DreamMapper mask fit data to SleepyHead leak data is apples to oranges. 100% mask fit is anything below Philips Respironics large leak threshold. It is my understanding that the threshold is 75 liters per minute. That includes intentional (i.e. mask venting) and unintentional leaks.

Having said that, I'm not that sure how rare 100% mask fit is. I'm on thirteen days, and counting, showing 100% mask fit on my DreamMapper app, which translates to SleepyHead showing all of those nights as below 75 lpm. I would agree that nights with zero leaks would be quite rare. Nights with 100% mask fit are quite attainable with the right mask and properly tensioned head gear.

Anything under the 75 lpm threshold is considered small leaks. The RT who did my sleep study and titration was a middle aged man who has been an RT for years and has used a cpap for 15 years. When we were fitting maskshe told me if he could only give me one piece of advice it would be "don't sweat the small leaks".
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I saw my sleep tech yesterday and she add it does not show anything less than 20L/min. I had my mask pushed off this morning and was drooling on the pillow and it still said 100% fit.

Don't sweat the small leaks seems like good advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2016, 12:18 AM)hs8738 Wrote:
(03-20-2016, 11:57 PM)chill Wrote: I've only had my DreamStation a week and I am new to CPAP. I see the same thing on mine despite know that I have had leaks. It might be that the leaks were small and short enough to no get recorded. Or it might be that I am using a F&P mask that the DreamStation does not recognize. I am going to see my sleep therapist tomorrow and will ask for clarification and report back.

It's a relief that another Dreamstation user is experiencing the same thing. I am living outside of US and I have to send the machine to the U.S. if I need to get it fixed.

Like you, I know I've had leaks in my sleep as my wife witnessed the sound of irregular air venting. However nothing appears on the Dream Mapper. However, I do not think it's a matter with the mask, as I am using Philips masks.

I am also searching to find the reason to this matter. I'll update also when I have some thing!

Other Dreamstation users, your assistance and advice are welcome!

I have been using the Dream Station for about 3 months now and mask fit has been at 100% when I know i've had many leaks and now that the pressure has been elevated a couple of points the leaks are even worse. I do believe there is a problem with the Dream Station
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,757 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,563 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  [CPAP] Philips Dreamstation & Dreamstation Go Different AHI? Thedudefino 2 1,327 05-31-2021, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Thedudefino
  Machine malfunctioning? m44kohler 6 1,345 03-09-2018, 03:57 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Help with Malfunctioning Sleepyhead Graph bonesmurones 4 1,555 06-11-2017, 08:36 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Please Help [My S9 is malfunctioning] jasonarmstrong 17 2,750 04-26-2017, 02:27 PM
Last Post: jasonarmstrong
  Is my S9 Autoset Malfunctioning? Taxman Derek 3 3,206 07-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Last Post: archangle

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.