Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is my Dreamstation on the fritz?
Is my Dreamstation on the fritz?
So, I acknowledge I have another big thread, but this question is totally separate from it, so I wanted to start this thread.

Last night was great, and I feel great.  But I am slightly confused by my machines behavior.  Last night (and looking back, many other nights), when it is not responding to an issue, it seems to spike the pressure several times over an hour or so.  The irony, is when it does it, it looks like my sleeping is sound, so I am not sure why it is doing it.   Has anyone seen this behavior?

Overall:
[Image: YUUMcKt.jpg]

Example of spiking #1
[Image: iUrSL5V.jpg]

Example of spiking #2
[Image: EP1sxKf.jpg]

Like I said, it doesn't appear to be in response to a flow limitation, and certainly not a CA or OA, or even a hypo. And since I slept great, I don't really mind, other than I don't want my machine breaking down on me; if it is acting up, I want to start sourcing a spare right away...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is my Dreamstation on the fritz?
Nothing to worry about. The machine jacks the pressure up periodically to see if you respond better. If not then it will drop the pressure back again.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is characteristic of the Philips Respiroinics auto algorithm. The "spikes" are actually a gradual rise and all of 1.5 cm pressure over 5-minutes to "test" the higher pressure. This seems to mostly occur at an interval of 20 minutes, however when no breathing anomalies are detected, the test seems to be waived. So there will be periods of routine tests and other periods of flat pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, now i feel kinda dumb for asking, but no harm no foul i suppose.
Ironically, after posting this, i found an ad (though, he is a distance away) for a Resmed Aircurve 10 (looks like a VAuto) for a good price. I haven't heard back yet, but at least i dont have to stress if it falls through.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nothing wrong with your Dreamstation, but I strongly prefer the Airsense 10 Autoset. Not only does it not "hunt and peck" for pressure, it is like using a sports car compared to a Model A. It will beat events before they happen, offers the most comfortable pressure relief and the styling and form-factor are much more efficient and streamlined; especially if you travel. Hope you get one.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used both machines, to be fair there is nothing wrong with either machine, but the ResMed Airsense10 Autoset looks a bit tidier, and just has the edge over the Dreamstation.  The ResMed does appear to respond quicker as well, though once asleep it didn't really matter.
If you get the chance of a ResMed 10Autoset at a good price grab it.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
The "Hunt and Peck" feature on Respironics machines is nothing to worry about.  The machine is doing what it is supposed to do.  You normally would not even realize the
1.5 bump in pressure if you hadn't looked at your graphs and wondered what that sawtooth design was about. Thinking-about
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No to be fair, I never noticed when I was testing one.  Once asleep it could have been someone there with a Blacksmiths bellows, I doubt if I would have noticed Big Grin
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for that info also, I was wondering about that saw tooth wave form also a bit.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2018, 09:48 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Nothing wrong with your Dreamstation, but I strongly prefer the Airsense 10 Autoset.  Not only does it not "hunt and peck" for pressure, it is like using a sports car compared to a Model A.  It will beat events before they happen, offers the most comfortable pressure relief and the styling and form-factor are much more efficient and streamlined; especially if you travel.  Hope you get one.

(02-07-2018, 12:19 PM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: I have used both machines, to be fair there is nothing wrong with either machine, but the ResMed Airsense10 Autoset looks a bit tidier, and just has the edge over the Dreamstation.  The ResMed does appear to respond quicker as well, though once asleep it didn't really matter.
If you get the chance of a ResMed 10Autoset at a good price grab it.

So, the guy is in Northern Fl, and agreed to ship, so i just paid.. lets hope everything works out.  If it all comes through, it is an Aircurve 10 VAuto, as seen here:
[Image: 87da4457adc84b58b6ad40af50616939.jpg]
[Image: 8d224c8c1eb6400c9879a5f1eeb54e70.jpg]

Ill wait for a bit more confirmation, but it is how it looks, i think i got a fair price on it.. Wink
Edit: now that it is marked sold... I paid 290 shipped for it. So I am really hoping it works like it should. But I have gambled less in Vegas, so.....

And i am happy to have a spare machine either way..  though, now i may need people to help me setup this beast (was not originally titrated for a BiPAP)...

(02-07-2018, 12:27 PM)OpalRose Wrote: The "Hunt and Peck" feature on Respironics machines is nothing to worry about.  The machine is doing what it is supposed to do.  You normally would not even realize the
1.5 bump in pressure if you hadn't looked at your graphs and wondered what that sawtooth design was about.  Thinking-about

Yep, no argument there. I had no idea it was doing it, and had a great night sleeping. It just seemed odd behavior for when i wasn't having any issues for once.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,710 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,532 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  AirSense 10 on the fritz? DoubtFire61 2 487 08-10-2021, 04:40 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Philips Dreamstation & Dreamstation Go Different AHI? Thedudefino 2 1,300 05-31-2021, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Thedudefino

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.